agp slot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dsmegma, Dec 19, 2000.

1. dsmegma

dsmegma Guest

help- how do i tell if my motherboard is agp compatible?. i have a p2 300 and im trying to add a creative anihilator 64 meg ultra board. (i got it real cheap). i currently runa voodoo 2 pci board.

2. Jeff

Jeff Guest

PCI slots are white, AGP are a dark grey color and are a bit longer, about the same width, and usually positioned above the row of PCI slots. You may or may not have an AGP slot. If you do and want to install the Creative card, you will want to definatly find the documentation (at this website) for how to COMPLETLY get rid of all the Voodoo files and registry lines pertaining to the 3dfx stuff, otherwise you wont get a clean install. Hilbert will steer you to the info.

3. Let me get this right .. you want to install a creative anihilator 64 meg ultra in a p2 300 system ? That's of no use at all. Your CPU cannot coop with that kind of Graphics power.<P>I strongly suggest you invest you money into a faster system rather than such a videocard.<P>BTW AGP slots is the closest to the power supply and is brown, not grey. They are also smaller than the PCI slots.<P>------------------<BR>Hilbert Hagedoorn - Chief Editor<BR>- "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

4. dsmegma

dsmegma Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hilbert Hagedoorn:<BR><B>Let me get this right .. you want to install a creative anihilator 64 meg ultra in a p2 300 system ? That's of no use at all. Your CPU cannot coop with that kind of Graphics power.<P>I strongly suggest you invest you money into a faster system rather than such a videocard.<P>BTW AGP slots is the closest to the power supply and is brown, not grey. They are also smaller than the PCI slots.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>OK I GET IT BUT, WILL THIS CARD WORK AT ALL (PROVIDING I HAVE AN AGP SLOT) TILL I CAN GET AN UPGRADED SYSTEM?<P>thanks for the reply to my post last evening. one more question if i <BR>may?. im in the process of buying a asus a7u mother board and a 1gig <BR>tbird cpu. at present i have a sb live card, annihilator ultra card, <BR>dell 19inch monitor, qdata case and optimum surfboard modem. what else <BR>would i require to complete a working system? and do you know where i <BR>may get installation help?. i have installed diffrent boards and memory <BR>before but, never from the ground up. if im asking the wrong questions <BR>here maybe you could direct me to the right place?. AND most inportant <BR>thanks for all your help in advance. <p>[This message has been edited by dsmegma (edited December 19, 2000).]

5. lolysys

lolysys Guest

Yes, just upgrade ur system first..