AGP reocognized as PCI

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ScaN, May 7, 2005.

1. ScaN

ScaN Member

GPU:
    6600 GT
    Every time when installing new video drivers i must uninstall both (video and nforce2 chipset), install video first and then chipset drivers or motherboard will think that i have PCI vid card. Drivers control panel it says: Bus: PCIx1 and performance is low.

Doing it few times per month is really painful :p

2. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    it seems that your mobo drivers are not getting properly installed ... its necessary to install them only after you reinstalled windows then things should be normal ... use DC pro to remove the nforce2 drivers first ..

3. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    you need to install the GART drivers. those are the ones that tell your pc that your AGP slot is available.

4. buddee

buddee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTX
    hopefully GART is integrated with nforce drivers, if not so then get then from amd site.

5. ScaN

ScaN Member

GPU:
    6600 GT
    Yes they are integrated to nforce drivers. But when i uninstall video drivers and install new ones, then i get PCI vid card.

So, i should try after every forceware drivers update overwriting only G.A.R.T drivers? Currently I am using other PC, so i cant try it. But thanks for your replys.

6. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Stupid question but why do you have to uininstall your chipset drivers when you update your graphics driver? I thought it gave you the option of selecting which to uninstall?

7. dragonlord

dragonlord Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    yes, stop unistalling the chipset drivers. I think you must be confusing the full nforce chipset driver package with the display drivers package (easy to understand since they both say nvidia). Leave the chipset drivers installed. :)

8. ScaN

ScaN Member

GPU:
    6600 GT
    I am not confusing :D If i dont uninstall the chipset drivers and just uninstall, remove with Driver Cleaner video drivers and install new ones, then i get Bus: PCI x01. I guess i will try uninstalling-reinstalling G.A.R.T drivers instead of full set of nforce chipset drivers.

9. jericho2002

jericho2002 Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra OC 256mb
    Why don't you just go into the bios and make sure that the option for default graphics is set to agp and not pci. There is an option for that.

10. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

@scan: It sounds like something is removing the chipset drivers anyway. Which options are you checking in driver cleaner?

@jericho2002: That option only applies when you have a pci and agp video card installed at the same time (it lets you select the primary card).

11. ScaN

ScaN Member

GPU:
    6600 GT
    nvidia

12. Kermit_the_frog

Kermit_the_frog Master Guru

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GTS 640MB
    I always install the chipset then the video not the other way around

13. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Good point, definitely worth doing it that way round. It could be that the installer is getting confused. You're sure you're not selecting nforce as well?

14. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA
    To ensure you only uninstall the video driver:
    1. In the "Add or Remove Programs" dialog box, select "NVIDIA Drivers",
    2. Press "Change/Remove",
    3. In the "Remove NVIDIA Components", choose the "Remove only the following",
    4. Check only the "NVIDIA Display Driver" from the list,
    5. Press the "Remove" button,
    6. Reboot into Safe mode,
    7. Start Driver Clean Pro,
    8. In the "Cleaning Selection", choose the NVIDIA filter,
    9. Press the "Start" button,
    10. Reboot,
    11. Install the new video driver.
      [/list=1]

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  15. soc_hexum

soc_hexum Member

GPU:
    GeForce 6800
    installing via 4in1 fixed this for me

16. ScaN

ScaN Member

GPU:
    6600 GT
    On the very first time after installing WindowsXP i did it and it didn't work.

To Blaise:
    I usually do that.

17. tahma

tahma Active Member

Dude I have the same issue with my mobo...the abit nf7-s rev 2 nforce 2 chipset, shows my grpahics card as PCIX1 instead of AGP! I got a gainward 6800 GT 256 AGP card! It pisses me OFF!

I'll try what was said above see if it fixes the problem...

18. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Any AGP card that is identified as pci is running in pci mode as your motherboard can't find the chipset drivers. Installing your latest chipset drivers should fix it.

19. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

unless of course it really is in a pci slot which i know is impossible but sounds funny :D LOL

20. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Happened with a mate once - he tried to fit an agp card into a pci slot then ended up taking the card back because it wasn't made right (despite me telling him he needed to out it in an agp slot). Even worse PC World accepeted that the card must be faulty!