AGP card, fast and quiet

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by grantschoep, Mar 8, 2008.

1. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Ok. So I want to upgrade an older system with AGP. Graphics power is my main goal. I don't hit CPU limits to often. Have 2 gigs of RAM...

I also am tired of my horribly loud PNY 6200 card.

Anyone have a recommendation on a better performing card, that is also very quiet. I'd love one with out a fan, but could accept one that is nicely quiet. I mean my power supply and box fan do make noise, so I am not looking for a silent PC or anything.

So I know there is a ton of AGP cards that are better than my 6200 NV44a. I've been burned my a few different ATI cards in the past, so really want to avoid them. Looking at spending ~100 USD or so. I don't do much 3d gaming. Worlds of Warcraft is basically the only 3d type game I play.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
  3. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Try finding a 7600gt, might be slightly above $100 but probably one of the best price/performance agp cards and suitable for older systems.

4. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Thanks for the ideas. I went with the 7600GS from Gigabyte. The GV-N76G256D. I 'll see how it goes. I generally am a bit more researching/frugle in my shopping. But just felt "what they hell" this weekend. I'll do a follow up post with how it all works out.

5. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Cool. Let us know how it went. And make sure to crank up a little more detail in WoW. ;)

6. koko-goal

koko-goal Banned

GPU:
    Geforce 7300Gt 512
    i hate geforce

7. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro Staff Member

GPU:
    -
    Seriously, please desist from all the flame-bait posts:3eyes:

8. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    You could also look around for an X1950pro, I know they came out in AGP and can be had for a decent price right now or even a 7800GS for that matter.

9. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Yea, I'm looking for a 1950pro....it is (arguably) the best AGP card available.

Lex

10. grantschoep

grantschoep Member

GPU:
    XFX 8500GT
    Cool. So I got the above mentioned card, the:
    GIGABYTE GV-N76G256D-RH GeForce 7600GS

Its nice a quiet, ok, silent. And it pretty much runs anything I throw at it at 1600x1200 with all their bells and whistles turned on. True, I really don't play any new intense games.

I tried out the Unreal Tourn. 4 and Quake 4 Multiplayer Demo and could max them out. World of Warcraft plays great. I actually play alot of Sim City 4. It really did help out there. I was surprised.

It idles at around 54 deg C, and with my most intensive action it doesn't hit much higher than 72 or so. Kind of hot... but I don't really slam it like that that often.

11. masterchief07

masterchief07 Member

GPU:
    512MB GeForce 9800M GT
  12. Slam

Slam Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Good to hear man! And 72 under load isn't really bad for passive cooling. The gpu can handle quite a bit more than that...but don't want to push it to that level of course. lol

13. SaGeUvAgOnY

SaGeUvAgOnY Member Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA GeForce 9600GT 51