AGP 6800GT or 6800 Ultra?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BeakerMan, Jan 17, 2005.

1. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    I cant decide which card I want to buy. Is there really much of a difference between the two to spend an extra $100-150 on the 6800 Ultra? What are the best manufacturers of each card?

2. Albatross

Albatross Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadteck 6600GT AGP (500/
    go for GT,then overclock it to ultra speeds

3. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    I agree,

Im buying a GT tomorrow.

Thats all I need.

4. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    yup, look at my specs. I am only using stock cooling too, and mine idles at 48C and maxes at 67C

5. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY Geforce 6800GT @ 360/1100
    I call bs. Your not using a real stress testing for load temps.

6. oc-nighthawk

oc-nighthawk Active Member

GPU:
    GF6800GT/SoftQuadro FX 4000
    My temps are about the same at about the same speed. It all depends on the air flow and what kind of cooling you have bringing cool air in and expelling warm air. That and its winter now so of course temps will be lower. :)

Mine is at 401/1140.

7. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    ultras are for people with too much money. Unless you have too much money, don't waste your cash.

Besides, an ultra is basically a GT running at slightly faster speeds.

8. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    GT vs. Ultra in overall performance, the ultra is better. Is the GT just as good a card? No it isn't. But the ultra isn't $100 better if you catch my drift.

9. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    what he is saying is that the ultra is obviously the better card - but for the money you pay, the difference in performance is not worth it. ESPECIALLY when most GT's will clock that high anyway.

10. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    Ok tell me how you do your stress test. I know for a fact that should hit the 70s on stock cooling if you were running a real full load.

11. VAs0ulja

VAs0ulja Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800 OC 128mb @ 370/745 (16x1,6
    I agree w/ nighthawk, its winter time, all i have to do is open one of my windows and my Idle for my 6800 will go from a normal 46 C to 41 C. And i can easily push 10 more mhz w/ GPU temperature's that low, and they will still stay under 45-46 when i play.

12. gotkookie

gotkookie Master Guru

GPU:
    no, hes just not using a real stress test, try that hdr program. Dammit I cant remember the exact name of it. Rthdrbl I think it is. Thats the real full load test, run that for 5 minutes.

13. oc-nighthawk

oc-nighthawk Active Member

GPU:
    GF6800GT/SoftQuadro FX 4000
    I stress it the same way everybody else does. Is that a trick question? :p Like I said it comes down to air flow. I have two 80mm and a 60mm intake fans sucking air in and two 80mm exhaust fans. One 80mm and the 60mm intake blasts and I do mean blasts cold air straight onto the gpu.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  14. BeakerMan

BeakerMan Member Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6600GT
    If I want to overclock a GT to Ultra speeds what kind of extra cooling will be needed. Im in florida so its pretty hot here most of the time.

15. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    You shouldn't need any extra cooling. I'm in the middle of the Australian Summer right now and I can reach 400/1100 just fine.

16. tmehanna

tmehanna Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 OC2
    Most stock coolers, inc nvidia reference are enough, you need to worry more about your case temps.

17. 73av8r

73av8r Guest

Depends on what you do with the card...

Personally I don't like to overclock due to artifacting and heat issues and the extra that must be spent on cooling etc...

But if that's your bag - get the GT...if not and you want to run stock get the Ultra if you don't mind the 100 extra.

I just remember my 9800 pro...everything was fine with the current generation it was in then as soon as Doom3 and Farcry hit, I basically had to reduce my overclock so as to prevent artifacting of the pixel shaders etc..regardless of the cooling solution.

You get what you pay for...

18. buddee

buddee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTX
    GT is better than ultra in terms of money vs performacne. u can easly overclock it to ultra with stock cooler, and spending some extrra buks for a good cooler will surley give u more peformace

19. mustrum

mustrum Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 2080 TI
    Hehe everyone is telling th people the same thing over and over again. Yes the GT can OC to ULTRA levels mostly. Some can'T even go past 380mhz tho.

One thing people forget while giving this advice though.
    The ULTRAs can be OCed as well. Mine's running happily at 470/1200. ;)

20. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    Everyone keep saying GTs can be oc to Ultra speeds, fine. But Ultra's can be overclocked much much higher. Ultra is a better card, but most of the best chips have been put out there already. What I'm saying is that I'd be pretty bummed if I got a new Ultra that would only do 430-440 on the core.

A good Ultra with stock air cooling will do 450-465 on the core just fine. Finding a GT that will do that is pretty rare.

That being said, my personal opinion is that unless you plan on watercooling the Ultra, get the GT and save some cash. The difference between a GT overclocked to say 410 core, isnt that much different than an Ultra overclocked to 450 core. Its when you get up to 480, 485+ that the performance increases enough to justify the cost.
    Besides, clock for clock the GTs are thought to be faster than the Ultra's b/c of the tighter memory timings on the GT.

My 2 cents.