AGP 1950 vs 7800 question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alastairg, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    My 7800gs+

Forgot to add my overclocks with a single core cpu

3700@ 2.6

3dmark05 default settings 9337 ( i only scored slightly more with my dual core cpu)

From everything i have read the ATI 1950 AGP card is awsome value for money you get some real speed its strange how some users are saying the ATI 850 is as good in some games one person even sent his 1950 back because the improvment over his 850 was not worth it but i belive in that instanse it was his CPU limiting him..

league of AGP

1 -7800gs+ overclocked
    2 -1950 Stock-overclocked
    3 -7800gs+ stock
    4 -850 stock

the cost of the 1950 makes it the perfect chaoice for AGP users if i was purchasing thats what i would get £ for pixel it wins every time the 7800gs+ is quicker but not by enough to warrant the extra cost

2. WyreTheWolf

WyreTheWolf New Member

GPU:
    2x Visiontek Radeon 7770
    I own my own computer business doing everything from LAN games to Custom builds.

This is my personal experience with the X850 XT, the X1950, and the 7900GS.

The AGP versions of the X850XT, and the X1950 are pretty much even when talking about CPU bound games (anything Q3A based such as MOHAA, SH, BT; and UT. etc.etc.etc.)

In any of the Dx7, and 8 series games the X850XT actually performs better in some cases... and doesn't fall behind by much in most categories. In Dx9 based games the X1950 does indeed hold its own, and the acceleration is pretty amazing... However there is not much more that can be done with the antiquated AGP slot.

I do salute both nVidia, and ATi for continuing to support the AGP.

Now, the 7900GS... It is fast... VERY VERY VERY fast. But, then again ... so is the X1950. At a certain point you do kind of need to step back and ask yourself ... 'I get 927 fps @ 1600x1200 : 16x AF : 4x AA @ 32bpp ... Do I need an extra 50 fps?'

Seriously though ... when is enough frames going to be enough ... Already these higher end cards are producing insane numbers of frames with all of the pretties turned on.

That is what has kept me from upgrading my current system. In every single game I can play 1280x1024 with all the pretty stuff. And I always have playable frame rates. Why upgrade at that point?

This system even handles Vista Aero Glass extremely well.

3. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    i would be very suprised if ATI or nvidia release another AGP card i think the 1950 will be ATI's top AGP card and the 7800gs+ will be nvidia's top AGP

Though i would like to see a DX10 GPU for AGP but i figure if they do it which i doubt they will it will be a mid range card

4. Hansel Hardcore

Hansel Hardcore Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    To all other AGP users looking to upgrade!!

For all you other AGP users out there looking for a nice cheap upgrade, the AGP 7600gt's are a fantastic card, i think the 7600gt is one of the smarter cheaper options for any AGP user, who is looking to get another 12 months from there pc. I am basing this on a performance/price ratio, as it is well known know that the AGP 7600gt is on par, and somtimes outperforms the stock 7800gs(to the dismay of many 7800gs owners who payed twice as much for them, hey Deadman!!). And as for the 7800gs+ and the x1950pro, they are great cards but they cost so much more then the 7600gt here in Australia. 7600gt-$230, 7800gs-$450, 7800gs+(Bliss)-$550, x1950pro-$360. I really couldn't justify paying twice as much for a card that certainly does not give twice the power. And i agree with a lot of you, your typical AGP system will bottleneck a big powerfull card anyway. Also i have found my 7600gt o/c's like crazy to, and i can run just about any game at max settings 1280-1600 res. But as for the x1950pro, it does look like a good buy even though i don't like ATI at all. And i have read numerous times that it is THE fastest AGP card out there. It all depends on how much you want to spend now, and how much your willing to save for a full pci-e upgrade later on. But again, the 7600gt's are a bargain for what they can offer, 7800gs performance for half the cost!!!

Hansel. :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

5. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  6. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    7800GS+ = quicker? Na the thing has to be overclocked like crazy. 1950pro agp is still proving to show more and more performance with release of the versions that are visiontech lol.

People are here are scoring 9k stock and 11k overclocked (Atleast the guy with the gecube version did)...I believed he said it was agp.

7. aircool

GPU:
    the GS+ is a 7900GT (the core) agreed?

looking and comparing reviews between the x1950 pro agp and the 7900GT show that the they are pretty much on par and some cases the x1950pro agp is better and vice-a-versa, swings and round abouts

8. Hansel Hardcore

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    Bigger not always better for some though!!

Like i had said above, the X1950Pro is The fastest AGP card out, and is great value for money. But don't count out the cheaper 7600gt for a lot of typical agp systems out there. There is also the factor that some agp users may need an upgrade of there power supply, as the minimum PS for the x1950pro is 450w, and minimum for the 7600gt's is only 350w. So factor in the higher cost of the x1950pro, possible cost for some people also needing to buy a new power supply, and also most of your typical agp users cpu's are going to bottleneck an x1950pro anyway, so in some games the differences in fps vs the 7600gt's would be minor. Also off note, the 7600gt's are very very good overclockers, due to there cool design, and lower power usage(Mine Stock-560/1400 * O/C-670/1680 stable). So it really comes down to how fast your cpu is in your agp system, the price difference(here in oz x1950pro-$360 - 7600gt-$230, big difference, and $130 saved away for a later pcie upgrade), and for some users a new power supply if they go ati. But for users of high end agp systems, the x1950pro would be the best choice. But for a system like mine, the 7600gt does a great job on the cheap.

Hansel.:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

9. aircool

GPU:
    minimum for the x1950 is a good 400w psu
    and there is little bottlnecking

im not saying the 7600Gt is bad just the x1950 pro agp is the best card in allmost every aspect

10. Hansel Hardcore

GPU:
    MSI GamingX 1080ti
    Agree on speed!

Yes it is the best agp card out, if you don't mind paying $130-oz more!!! And oh god, i don't think i could handle the Ati CC, lol. Just remember though , agp will be dead soon, so basically any money you spend on an agp system now is going to be dead money in the near future. So the cheaper the upgrade to tie you over for now the better, then spend the extra later on a pci-e full upgrade.
    Also Aircool? How come you have not bought an x1950pro yet then?? Or are you still holding out ok with your plain vanilla 6600. I went from a 6600gt to a 7600gt and it's made a huge difference in newer games.

Hansel. :smoke: :smoke:

11. aircool

GPU:
    ive just ordered mine a long with a new psu, the psu arrives tomorow the but graphics card come next week as theyre are none instock atm

tbh i rarely use my desktop for gaming my lappy sufices (6800ultra Go + pentium M = :D)

12. mayday84

mayday84 New Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512MB
    I have a 7800GS+ too and i have to say Gainward f**k off.. I have checked with Everest that this card really has the G71-chip, but it too has got only 20/7 pipelines open.. i already asked this from one Finnish forum and someone else had the same damn card with all (24/8) open.. this change has happened somewhere late last year.. my card is bought in december, that other guy purchased his one in the summer..

13. cwaggoner84

cwaggoner84 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 7800GS OC 560/1.4
    woobalow

Im sorry but... obviously a fully built B20 bottom end with p72 Vtec head, low compression pistons , reinforced rods...etc...etc... running 28 PSI Turbo.. 800 WHP...in the biggest POS 500 dollar CIVIC.. WILL EAT ANY FERRARI FOR BREAKFAST. thats 400 HP Ferrari vs 800 hp Civic its not happening buddy. Go watch the IHRA or something.
    Imports are the way of the future. Tuners tune cars like you overclock your PC but its ALOT more money, and ALOT more time consuming.

Must be a 16 year old still looking at his Ferrari posters from the school book fair and dreaming.

Sorry to get off topic but had to clarify . I know im retarded. Talking about Imports on a 3d card forum..lol.. I crack myself up.

I have a 7800gs BFG and I enjoy my sub 24 fps in fear at 1280 by 1024....lol

and mine is overclocked as far as it will allow ... 7800 GS is basicly an old card now. It basicly GETS THE JOB DONE and thats it.

Mine is actually en route back from BFG..gotta love the lifetime warranty.
    So right now im old schoolin it with a 9600 pro...eeeewwwwww

Of course a card ATI comes out with almost a year later will and should spank the base 7800GS.

PCI-E is the only way of the future and when I get the money up i will venture that way for sure.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: May 30, 2007