AGP 1950 vs 7800 question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by alastairg, Dec 8, 2006.

1. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
  2. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Hmm that may do... Good idea. I'll try to find this one. Thx for the info! Ill check around a few places to see which is the best to grab this from...because i think this will be what i do. At least that way i can just grab an 8800GTS or something later on w/o too much worry.

3. aircool

GPU:
  4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    x1950pro is faster according to the benchmarks on Tom's Hardware.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I think the Abit will work....I dont plan on SLI at all. Plus i like the features in that Abit...lots of USB ports and all. Looks good. I dont play games or anything past 1280x1024 so im really not worried about much more power than this.

6. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Yeah, Tom's Hardware Benchmarks... They're always so accurate!

**rolls eyes**

7. aircool

GPU:
    well it is quicker than the 7800GS and GS BLISS AND more or less on par with the GS+BLISS

8. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    You know, the 1950pro may out bench a 7800GS, but has anybody seen what it can do in the real world? Is it really THAT much better?

9. alastairg

alastairg Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800 GS+ 512
    How much more power does the Gainwood 7800 GS+ need ?

Is my 6800GT OC limits due to the card OR is it due to the PSU ?

Looking at this retailer there is mention of the PSU connector type. Will I be able to even connect this card ?

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=392225&source=nextag

PSU spec http://highpowersupply.com/hpc420302df.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  10. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb
    So how about YOU provide a better source then?

If you can't then maybe you should just keep you opinions to yourself

11. jayvdp

jayvdp Member

GPU:
    2x SLi Leadtek 128mb PX6600GT EE
    these comparisons on toms hardware are actually PCI-E 1950pro benchmarks, not agp. so if anyone does get actual benchmarks on an agp 1950pro... well... you know what to do.

12. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Really it all comes down to preference and cost, seeing as how these two cards are nearly identical in performance ( 7800GS+ not 7800GS ). Really, now you need to weigh up features, functionality, price and future proofness.

In my opinion nVidia have a better control panel, and to get a decent control system for ATi you need to download third part tools. The two cards have basically the same video rendering ability ( DVD's and HD content ). But I believe that the x1950Pro would come out ontop for it's futureproofness, having 36 shader units in comparison to 24, which will allow it to run better in more shader intensive games, such as Need for Speed carbon.

13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I haven't found a site where anyone actually measured the power consumption but it should be about the same or even a bit less. Should be about the same as a 7900GT since that's basically what the card is and those consume about 10watts less than a "regular" 7800gs. The Gainward 7800gs+ has more RAM and higher clock speeds but it's using a newer core and lower die process so the overall consumption is comparable.

My gut instinct tells me that the card is at it's limits. Overclocking a GPU does draw a bit more power from the PSU but unless that extra bit is "the straw that broke the camels back" so to speak then it shouldn't be a factor. Certainly as a unit gets close to it's full potential output there's a chance that it's voltages could start to fluctuate or drop, but I just don't think that your unit is being asked to deliver close to it's maximum simply by the process of OCing the GPU. You could connect a multimeter and observe it during the OC and see if it remains stable and that would be the definitive answer I guess.

The website for your PSU says it has a PCI-E connector which is what the card needs. It's possible that your unit, being a couple of years old, didn't have the PCI-E connector at the time but regardless the card does come with a 2xMolex to PCI-E adaptor so you can use that if necessary.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  14. Deadman93723

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    2 things wrong with that statement, there is nothing futureproof about AGP, and the 7800GS+ has 20 or 24 Pixel pipes and only what 6-8 shaders, whereas the 1950pro only has 8 pixel pipes and 36 shaders. Not trying to flame you but I just wanted to point out the differences between pixel pipes and shaders.

15. aircool

GPU:
    the price of a x1950 pro agp has come down by a couple of quid in the uk, im guesssing when Ati releases their next card the prices will drop?

16. Deadman93723

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    I don't think the x1950pro AGP is hitting it very big, this is kind of a stupid time to release a new high end AGP card, because most people who are going to stick it out for awhile with AGP already got the 7800GS or the last high end Ati card(don't remember what that was). Everybody else HAS or is going to switch to PCI-E.

17. dirtman

dirtman Master Guru

GPU:
    Im waiting for the x1950pro AGP ,It not worth it but i would buy a new card over a new pc any day,if this card is good as all the hype around it it should gave me few more years

18. Deadman93723

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    1 year maybe, but not years. I hate to admit it but AGP has one foot in the grave.

19. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Dude, NO source is better than Toms hardware as far as GPU benchmarks go. Their charts are mostly WAY off.

20. shadowweep

shadowweep New Member

Could somone please post the complete specs for both of the cards Gainward Bliss Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS + 512MB AGP and the Gecube ATi Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB AGP.
    I have trawled through this forum and all i can find are flamesand i cant find the full specs for either of them under any reviews or google searches.

Originally i was going to get the Gainward card purley because it was the fastest out there at that moment and that the ps3 was using an nvidia chip that was close to the 7900 GT which this card was based from.
    But now however the new ATi Radeon AGP cards are out and and im confused as to which one to get and which would be better and more future proof in AGP standards and current games requirements not necissarily techniliogically of course becuase PCIE is far mroe advanced in comparisson.

The new rig im bulding will be:

Mercury 500w PSU
    MSI 865PE Neo3 Motherboard
    Pentium 4 Prescott 3.2Ghz CPU
    Mushkin XP4000 2GB Dual Channel DDRRAM
    then either Maxtor Diamond Max SATA 500GB or 300GB HDD
    Plextor PX755A Dual Layer DVDRWD

I want to know which card would be better for my machine and i want to know the full specs of each of them

Gainward Bliss Nvidia Geforce 7800 GS + 512MB AGP

Gecube ATi X1950 Pro Radeon 256MB AGP

I want to know what card would provide the better frame rates what the exact memory of the cards are ie the Gainward card has 512MB but what is the memory interface and ring bus? etc.

Now ive read loose opinions on forums, but i want the full specs and what would be better on the machine im building please answers asap if at all possible

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006