ageia physx by nvidia capable cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by Phantom93, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    I was reading the guru3d artcle about the physx thing being released on Aug 12th for Geforce 8800 GPUs or up and how u can use a 2nd GPU and dedicate it to physx as not to lower your framerate (The Multi-GPU option). Well I have a old Geforce 6200 256mb OC card laying around and I was wondering if I could use this. I am asking becuase this is obviously, not a 8xxx series card or higher so it will not have the physx thing built into it. However I was still curious as to if it would work anyways as it is just gonna be calculating physx and doesnt need much horsepower.

It be great if it did as it would save me money and I could happily enjoy physx, if it doesn't well I will have to wait until I ethier get a 2nd 8800GT or upgrade to a new card and use my current 88GT as a PPU.

And I know I can Ageia driver comes out, but I would rather use the physics capabilities.

2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No, you can not use any pre 8 series graphics card as a phsyx processor, yes i know it would seem like it's just another graphics card but it's not, it doesn't have CUDA capabilities, the ability that even makes phsyx on GPU even possible

However, i don't understand why you'd get another 8800 GT, granted they are fairly cheap now, but personally if i was getting another 8800 GT i'd put that in SLI before i made it solely for PPU, get a 9500 GT or 8600 GT/S for your PPU, there's no need to get the same card you have your graphics being run as for your PPU, i think it'd be overkill

Granted we need to wait till actual benchmarks come out to determine how much of a difference a lower end geforce 8 or 9 card does in phsyx compared to a higher end card

3. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    thanx, just curious. You saved me some trouble :)

Well, I would etheir get a 2nd 88 or get another card such as a 98 or a GTX 260\280. This however is greta because I did not want to replace my GT so earlyer as I onyl got it last november, so becuase of this I will be able to buy a 9800GX2 for example and still use my 88!! So I think I will do that.

Hopefully this will get nvidia back ontop, or almost. If the drivers that come out, 177.19 i think flop nvidia is in deeper **** than before.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol nvidia back on top? there's been articles around that even though ATI has the "better products" for awhile there, Nvidia was still on top, they only lost a fraction of the market share, nothing for them to bother over, so i don't think they ever lost the top :p

5. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    well the 4870 X2 is better then the GTX280 (read maximum PC they got sum samples and put em to da test), however they wont be out for a few months. Which is what I ment about them not being on top, and by ontop i ment performance wise, not price.

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Price/performance wise they are on top right now, and they are also selling much more than nvidia currently. Don't underestimate the red team, just because nvidia won with the G80 and G92...

7. irriadin

irriadin New Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    4870x2 comes out on August 12th... about two days.

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Last time i checked the GTX260 is cheaper then the 4870 and is about the same speed, then it OC's like a beast and beats it hands down.
    So price vs preformace, right now untill the 4870x2 comes out NV wins every thing again.
    Now soon as the 4870x2 hits, prices will drop on the GTX200 cards, and the GTX290 is around the corner as well, so in the end we all win, lower prices faster cards, i just wish i had the funds to keep up.
    With the new physx coming out, its sure going to be fun.

9. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    WAIT D: so if I have 2 GTX260's I can't use my 8800GTS G80 cards as a physX card (PPU)????

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    no one said that here, they are making that possible, i don't think that'll be possible right away but it will be possible later on