Age of Conan officially out!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Daftshadow, May 21, 2008.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't think it has it yet. It says it does on the box, but they'll release it later in a patch I think.

2. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    I play both AoC and Lotro and although i like AoC's graphics and mature content, It's world is just too limiting, even the large zones are made up so you basically have to paths to follow all the time with cliffs ect blocking you from exploring. Lotro while It's graphics aren't as good and lacks the mature content (i would say lotr is a pretty mature IP but Lotro sort of dumbs it down), Turbine have done a far better job with their gameworld, theres just a alot more to see and explore in Lotro and they managed to good graphics in as well.

I'm not trying to bash AoC although i am a little disappointed so far with it, sometimes feels like it's GuildWars sequel with how linear the zones are. I am finding the combat fun and the fatalities are cool.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh, last thing I want is a Guild Wars like gameplay... Don't get me wrong, I love Guild Wars for what it is. A free MMORPG that installs over a few gigs on my hard drive. If I go to pay monthly fees, I want more freedom. I don't want nothing linear. Anybody else feeling like this about the game? I'm still 90% likely to buy it on tuesday, just need some more feedback...

4. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    yea i mentioned t and i agree with mcharj11 that the travel is very limited and the paths are small and set, not open like wow and eq with huge lush environments where u can go just about anywhere. this is one thing i am disappointed in, so i find myself logging into eq for that, and i like the healing in eq better than in conan, seems like u have to be pretty high up to really have any spells actually worth mentioning and to have a bigger zone. but it did just launch and like every game it will have bugs and will just continue to need polishing and time and input to make it a better experience for the masses

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950

I would suggest playing with your drivers and cleaning your system up a little, as I run the game fine without any such drops on a lesser system. I use a lower resolutuon (1280x1024) but I do use Bloom, 4x AA, and medium + settings, and sustain a constant 40-60 fps. With your rig you should be able to run it maxed out in every area.

I've a few friends playing the game with me and I've never heard any of them complain about such performance issues. Mind you, AoC's team seem to be on the ball, they update any problems extremely fast. So if it is an issue for a number of people I'd imagine it would be fixed quite quickly.

6. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    hmph gotta say the zones even if instanced are really big. pvp is gw ish when its the smaller battles. i havent seen or tested siege battles and won't for sometime but i think those will be cool... pvp in the world is fun i like it :) pve wise the game is pretty standard atm. tho the quests are easier to locate cause you don't get only directions where to head you get an area on the map with the location.

not as open ended as lotro or wow but not as linear as GW its there inbetween id say.

oyea collision detection rocks if used properly :p but sometimes it results in "omg don't block my way!" and ofc if mobs surround you can't run away >_<

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  7. Whiteraven

Whiteraven Member Guru

GPU:
    (2X) BFG 8800GTS OC 640mb
    It does not suck, great game imho...

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    my brother plays the game with average 40fps with 8800gt and amd x2 5200+ 4gigs ram. friend has average of 60fps with 8800gtx q6600 and 4gigs ram both never dip below 15 fps be it city or outside the city. other friend with 8800gtx 2gigs ram x2 4200+ then again gets dips to 5-10fps.

my comp then again usually never dips to under 10 with all medium + 16xaf in city outside i can play all maxed out with 20-35fps w/o aa, my gfx card is really killing it :D

9. Ghettorat

Ghettorat Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 ClassifiedSLI
    Yeah it seems strange. The dips seem to come only when there are alot of other RL players in the city. Outside it doesnt happen. I am on Vista 64.

10. Ghettorat

Ghettorat Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 ClassifiedSLI
    It seems to have gotten better since the first day of playing, so hopefully it is an issue that they are aware of.

Otherwise i am starting to like this game alot. Feels like a breath of fresh air after playing wow for a while.

11. TyronneG

TyronneG New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8600GT
    Hi all :D i play AoC on my laptop and i get 20 to 60fps. video settings are all high, no AA, No shadows, Bilinear, anisotropic texture filtering is 3, shaders are 2.0,. sharing memory from laptop 156mb. 3d ambient is disabled. try those settings

laptop is only using 8600M GT

12. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    The problem isn't getting to get it to run on low settings with a mediocre rig.

The problem is getting it to run on high, 1920x1200, with a monster rig. Which is currently pretty much impossible. Turning shadows on alone at those settings is enough tank my FPS from 50-70, to 20s.

13. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    It does remind me of guild wars. Zones and cities are instanced, so if you are on the same server as a friend you may not be in the same instance if you are in the same place. You can change to be in the same instance as them, however. Also differing from gw, when you go out of cities to adventure, you are not in an instance by yourself. There are other random people in your quest zone. I play on a pvp server, it is fairly packed, with people running about questing and ganking (some high levels ganking lowbies too heh). AoC has collision detection, so it is probably necessary to have instances, I already had problems getting out of the newbie area because a few people were afk on a ramp and I couldn't get around them. Imagine the hells that would start in WoW channels if a few goofs decided to block passage to the mailbox in Org, heh. Oh, and the trader, which involves access to the mail and auction house is still not active yet either. The UI leaves a bit to be desired. The chat box intermingles chat from players and the combat log from the getgo, I haven't been able to figure out how to separate them. It gets kind of annoying but nothing too bad.

The gameplay is interesting. The newbie zone that everyone shares, Tortage Island, is very well done. Better than WoW imo. Every quest npc talks with branching dialogue options that are similar to KOTOR. It is set up with standard questing with everyone else in the daytime mode, and a storyline destiny quest mode at night that puts you in your own instance. The night mode is pretty cool, every class Archetype (Soldier, Priest, Mage, Rogue) particpates in the same overall storyline, but does different missions depending on archetype. For example, as a rogue you get sent to shadow an agent of the resistance, watch as he gets picked up by the evil Red Hand soldiers, and you report back to the leader of the resistance as to what was said. As a priest doing the same part of the mission, you instead go to the island where he is taken, and heal him once he gets released.

The night storyline, which is what you need to complete to get out of the newbie zone (you have the option to skip it at one point but I recommend against it, I hear you get gear out of it that is usually with you until level 40+, for lack of upgrades) is split into 4 or 5 missions, which have level requirements. So you will be likely doing some missions in singleplayer night, then coming back out into the multiplayer day missions to get more levels to get back into night. Pretty much all the missions are soloable. You can't pvp in the city, or the surrounding area, but you can pvp in 2 of the mission areas, White Sand Island and the Underhalls (Which is located under the city). Not sure about how this works on pve servers. Anyways, the starter area gets thumbs up from me, it is nicely done.

Once I got out of the starter area at 20 is where I started running into problems. Each of the three races has a large city and questing zones, you can go to whichever you please and quest. And all the quest npcs stop talking, heh. So you'll be reading from here on out. I figured it was probably going to happen, but it was still a bit disconcerting to go from nicely done voice-acting to grunts and even burps while reading quest text. I haven't gotten far out of Tortage. I got bored with my Tempest of Set at 22 and rerolled a Guardian and he is 22 and sitting around at the moment too. There are quests all over the place, but seems to be no compelling reason to do them beyond leveling. I can't really explain it, but the sense of direction I had in Tortage is gone. No real motivation to level for some reason. There aren't any low level dungeons to explore in groups like Wailing Caverns or Stockades, although you can group and join the "epic" version of any quest area for what I hear are slightly better loot tables as compared to the normal version, versus mobs that have +400% health.

The gameplay is very similar to wow, you have levels and distribute points into stuff like hiding (every class in the game has stealth if you can believe it, although the rogue classes do it better, of course) or climbing or health regeneration. There are also talents that you start getting at level 10. There are 3 trees, but it is somewhat different. There are 2 class exclusive trees and 1 shared archetype general tree (ex. the Rogue type, barbarian, ranger, assassin, share the same exact general tree in addition to their own other 2 trees). From what I've seen, they seem to have less "must have" stuff, so I don't suppose you will be pigeon-holed into cookie-cutter builds.

There is no autoattack in this game. You instead start with 3 direction buttons bound to the 1,2,3 keys. That is what you hit if you want to hit a certain area of the mob (left right center). Players and mobs can adjust their defenses to these areas, so you want to hit where they are weakest. Melee classes use combos for most of their abilities. These are kind of fun, but can be frustrating as well. For example, to use an ability, you hit or click the ability on your toolbar, then an icon with that ability appears next to your character on the screen, with one of the direction keys mentioned above below the icon. You have to hit the right direction key or the combo doesn't execute. As you get greater levels of the combo, you have to hit more direction keys to get it to work, and each ability has a different sequence (similar to fighting games). I only have 2 steps on most of my abilities at the moment, I'm not sure how many it maxes at. It is fun in pve where the mobs mostly stay in front of you, but is very difficult and sometimes frustrating when fighting someone jumping about and running behind you, as your melee attacks hit everything in a cone, not simply just hitting what you have targeted. Requires a lot of player skill to execute properly while moving (which I like but lack heh).

Casters don't have this issue as much. You also have auto-facing (which I disabled in options). You cast much like you do in wow, hit the button, cast timer appears, bam. The spells hit the target and splash onto nearby enemies for pretty much the same damage as the main target gets. On my Tempest of Set (think elemental shaman if you've played wow) I get nukes and heals, and basic melee attacks (no combos yet, not sure about later). You get buffs (TOS one is like PW:F) but they only affect you and those in your group, so no driveby buffs. Heals are cone aoe, and are healing over time for the most part, so no spamming direct heals on a tank. You get one direct heal that affects the group, but it is on a 60 second cooldown, and it gives a debuff that doesn't allow that same type of spell to heal you and those you've healed with it to affect you from another of your same class. Healers are easy to level, and good in pvp as well. Powerful nukes.

My higher level friend says the dungeons don't really start until 40+. I can't really comment on them, but I've heard they can be completed without the usual groups of tank+heals+dps. I heard of groups being successful in dungeons with 4 dps and 2 healers, I don't know how that pans out at higher levels, though. I'm also not sure as to how many people can be in a group in these. The mobs and bosses just have more health than the standard ones, without the mass burst damage that you get from bosses in other games. So from what I understand tank+heal isn't quite as important.

PvP is ok, you can pvp in all the quest zones and inside of taverns in the major cities. There are spawn points all over the zones to be camped etc. but I don't do this heh. No penalty for dying atm, and you can choose which spawn you want to res at. No gear loss or repair bills (even in pve, you only get a 30min. debuff to attack and magic rating, although they stack). There is no equipment durability in the game. Balance seems ok, but I haven't pvp'd much so not sure. The official forum whine threads so far seem to rate the healing classes as the most overpowered, followed by the rangers, then soldiers, barbarians, and then the casters, with the poor demonolgist being the most underpowered. I have no idea how that pans out as my experience is limited to guardian and tempest. I will say that this does seem to be like wow in that pve is the first consideration with pvp being secondary. Not 100% sure on that, but that's how it seems now. I have heard that there are battleground-like instances somewhere but I have no idea how to get into them, which I have heard is rather common.

TLDR version: It's not bad, first impression is mixed. The graphics are good. Sound is good. Gameplay is ok. It isn't drawing me in like wow, but it could be much worse. There is a pretty serious lack of itemization if that's what you're into.You will look the same pretty much at all levels until 80, with gear sharing the same models it seems. Instancing can make it seem like a singleplayer game or Neverwinter Nights at times. It is fairly bug-free, which is pretty amazing for a release. It does crash on me at an average of once every couple hours, but I run vista 64. It runs at 1650 x 1080 at about 25fps on my rig. DX 10 is not available right now, I hear it will be patched in in a few months. I'm going to keep playing it for a while, but I'm not overly enthused atm.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Thanks for this post dude. It answered many of my questions. Looks like I'll be sticking to WOW/LOTRO (keep switching between the 2 as soon as I get a bit bored) and GW (which is free). You saved me £35, thanks.

15. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Duke's post there more or less speaks the truth in my books and my feelings about the game are pretty much identical. Only part where i have to disagree is is the quality of dialogue and dialogue options in the starter area. You compare the amount of options to Kotor for example but i thought this isnt a very good comparison since most of the options either results with you getting a quest or then the conversation ending with you not getting a quest and its not always so clear either wich discussion options will yield the desired results mainly because the dialogue is somewhat confusing and in Kotor you had varying results rather then just the "right" or "wrong" answers.

As for the quality of the dialogue, i dont know how one experiences it if you're english or american but i found it to be very childish in the way its being delivered. Most female characters sound like some retarted Borat impersonators with the accent while the majority of the male characters tend to have this quite fake sounding scottish accent. In other words, if you ask me the devs went for quantity over quality and its the sort of cheesy "foreigner" dialogue you encounter in hollywood films.

The biggest problem im having though is that ive been in the Beta since like december 07 and i just cant get into leveling the characters, here im sitting with free access to this large and hyped game but i just cant be arsed to play it :3eyes: . I think one thing that puts me off is that there arent many reasons to level up other then leveling for the sake of the levels themselfs. In WoW for example you always had something small to look forwards to, like new talents wich in AoC arent a whole lot interesting atleast for the Barbarian class, once you hit 20 you dont get new skills or attacks that often either. The zones ive seen have been rather compact and even very linear at times when other MMO's tend to offer larger more open zones to give you some illusion of a large world but AoC doesnt even seem to be trying and this is only made worse by the fact that you move between zones through loading screens by talking to an npc at the end of a road basically. Some dont mind it, i do.

Its also kinda amusing how AoC aimed to cater to an older and more mature audience with the violence and boobs and whatever but it kinda attracts the exact opposite crowd from what ive seen. In the end, the game just isnt for me i guess wich is a shame cos i was really looking forward to it but it just doesnt feel that much of an mmo and im not getting the sense of wonder in a large open world i had with WoW, SWG and EVE. So for now im giving it a miss, i'll check back later once the game has received some content updates and the initial fuzz has setttled but by then Wrath of the Lich King is probably keeping me busy in WoW.

16. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Well did you guys play Warcraft before WoW was released? If you did, you knew lots and lots about the world. I mean, I was completely lost when I started playing WoW, didn't know anything about the lore or places.
    So I can relate to that feeling :p

But on the other hand, I know nothing about the world of Conan either. But it must be awesome for people who have read the stories.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yeah, and this is why I love LOTRO... just to walk around Bree and then finding the Prancing Pony for the first time was amazing. Also seeing Wethertop in the distance immediately brought back memories... There's loads of places like this in LOTRO, love it.

18. RaoulDuke4413

RaoulDuke4413 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 280 3gb
    I hadn't read either, I'm sure it would make quite a difference. I remember when I was a kid reading the Raymond Feist novels, and then playing Betrayal at Krondor, and being floored at how much the knowledge of the story from the books enhanced the gaming experience.

I looked up the creator, Robert E. Howard, on wikipedia. I had no idea that the character was so old. I for some reason always thought it was Robert Jordan, maybe he simply wrote a Conan story. It's an interesting read, you can't help but wonder what he'd think if he knew that his character still lived on so popularly so long after his death. Same goes for Tolkien, I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Howard

Yeah repo, the kotor comparison was probably not the right one, it just reminded me of that when I first saw it. I'm used to little text boxes when I click on quest npcs so I went a little overboard perhaps :D .

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Right, I'm installing the game now... Yes, I changed my mind again, I'm a sucker for a good MMORPG. Needed to try something new as I just got bored of LOTRO a little (happens every few months) and didn't feel like going back to WOW. I only ended up paying £8 for the game so I thought WTH, might as well give it a go. First month is free as well so if I don't like it nothing really happens.

Anyway, will keep you guys updated on the progress.

20. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I have been a long long time WOW player and fan, been playing sence Dec03, geez yea long time, HC raider, i think i have killed every thing in the game to date.

Any way Conan is a nice change, it feels like Diablo2 MMO, it alos has TheWitcher feel to it, maybe just the graphics, but to me coming from playing Cartoon MMO(WOW) to this is so nice.
    Im not knocking WOWs cartoon style i like it, and love Warcraft, as i still play WarCraftIII every day.

My PC seams to play the game fine at 8QxAA 16xAF 1680x1050, 25-60fps, some glitchs in placers were every one seams to have problems and or crashes, FOTD are bad, have to turn off Audio systems or my game will crash every 20-30min.

The game is good, and can only get better IMO.

lvl 55 Barb Dagoth PVE server.

Last edited: May 28, 2008