Aftermarket cooler for the HD5970?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by LinkDrive, Dec 19, 2009.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Has anyone heard anything about aftermarket coolers for the HD5970? After about 3-4 hours of gaming the card starts to artifact unless the fan speeds are %50+ . It seems that the plates and heat pipes can't quite dissipate the heat quick enough with just one fan, and I don't particularly fancy my tower sounding like a wind tunnel.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    see this thread for my suggestions

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=310667&highlight=5970+aftermarket+cooling

theres not much to do about the 5970 just yet it seems. in that thread are the only options i could think of, and the third option works for a 4870x2, so it may or may not work for a 5970. the issue is that the first gpu seems closer to the bracket than on the 4870x2 and the air cooling setup i described is more expensive that water cooling.

however, you could always remove the plastic shroud, remove the paddleboat fan and attach two downblowing fans to the vapor chamber sink.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  3. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    These 5970s are coming with the stock leafblower/waterwheel HSF, yes?

There was an article a while back, stating you could get lower temps, by increasing the airflow by cutting the intake hole for the fan to be as large as the fan.

4. Goliath182

Goliath182 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5970 Redline
    Yes they do have the good ol leafblower. ;)

As of right now the only aftermarket solution is to either mod two coolers to fit, or get a water block.

5. Chris Chiu

Chris Chiu Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5970
    I think the Stock cooler has serious design mistake. The VRM module is much much hotter then the GPU. I wish AMD can re-design the stock cooler.

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    thats because six of the vrm modules sit directly under the fan. due to the paddleboat design (and the fact that theyre covered up in the reference design iirc), air is pushed around via the fan and towards the heatsink, so stupidly, the vrm units are in a dead spot, with extremely poor airflow.

3 of the vrm units are perfectly fine because theyre attached to the heatsink.

7. rony794

rony794 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970@1ghz
    Accelero Extreme

Arctic cooling will soon release an accelero extreme cooler for the 5970. I can`t wait to see my Sapphire 5970 OC runing with it(I`ve ordered it and i`ll get it in a week). It`ll ROCK! My current 4870x2 with this cooler runs at @870 core + @930 memory and can hardly pass 60C in Furmark.

8. rony794

rony794 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5970@1ghz
    It`ll be a 3slot 8+ heatpipe monster like the 4870x2 version. I`m really looking forward to it.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    That's good news. I'm hoping that Amazon or Newegg will get some of these in for purchase.

10. Balthazor

Balthazor Member

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire Radeon 5970
    I'm using the Koolance 5970 liquid cooling blocks; I'm getting 51C max temp at load (furmark) using the following settings:

VCore: 1.1625V
    VDimm: stock

Core Clock: 950 Mhz
    Memory Clock: 1075 Mhz

Pretty happy with the cooling performance of those coolers.