"Afterlife is still scientifically possible"

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Vibe, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Dr. Stuart Hameroff is an anesthesiologist and professor at the University of Arizona known for his studies of consciousness and co founder of ORCH-OR hypothesis.

Abstract:
    We proposed that consciousness depends on biologically ‘orchestrated’ coherent quantum processes in collections of microtubules within brain neurons, that these quantum processes correlate with, and regulate, neuronal synaptic and membrane activity, and that the continuous Schrödinger evolution of each such process terminates in accordance with the specific Diósi–Penrose (DP) scheme of ‘objective reduction’ (‘OR’) of the quantum state. This orchestrated OR activity (‘Orch OR’) is taken to result in moments of conscious awareness and/or choice. The DP form of OR is related to the fundamentals of quantum mechanics and space–time geometry, so Orch OR suggests that there is a connection between the brain's biomolecular processes and the basic structure of the universe. Here we review Orch OR in light of criticisms and developments in quantum biology, neuroscience, physics and cosmology. We also introduce a novel suggestion of ‘beat frequencies’ of faster microtubule vibrations as a possible source of the observed electro-encephalographic (‘EEG’) correlates of consciousness. We conclude that consciousness plays an intrinsic role in the universe.

Opposition:

Dr. Sean Carroll, a cosmologist and physics professor at the California Institute of Technology, believes he has put the debate surrounding the afterlife to bed after extensively studying the laws of physics.

Also for you reading entertainment an interesting thought experiment from https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-rdquo-in-an-afterlife-wouldnt-really-be-you/
    "Why the "You" in an afterlife wouldn't really be you."

And of interest is a quote from Steven Hawkings that says "energy cannot be created nor destroyed. Information cannot be created nor destroyed" the no-cloning theorem and the no-deleting theorem.

All I can conclude from this is:

[​IMG]

Keitosha and Lex Luthor like this.
  2. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I have partied with Hameroff several times. The party after the bi-annual meeting is called unconsciousness. Published several things and coauthored a book on the subject, "Consciousness, Anatomy of the Soul".
    On this point I agree with him. Not into his quantum tubules though. Just stuff to think about and pass the time ; )

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    We need to interview someone who died to make sure!

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well it can't be all that bad over in the afterlife because nobody has every come back to complain.

airbud7, fantaskarsef and sverek like this.

5. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    You volunteering? o_O

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hey, you are closer to afterlife than me!

sorry...

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Still people trying to make belief, as something by it's definition "unscientific", into a measurable thing.
    As if they didn't know that it's magic.... :rolleyes::D

Although I do believe that conciousness, our "being" might indeed be a quantum effect, I don't believe there is an immortal soul that passes on to some other place or body.

If so, go to OP and take the meme :D

8. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Everyone and everything is energy at the core. Energy is the core to everything. The earth, the sun, atoms/particles themselves, even past sub atomic atoms, everything starts as energy. So your body dies but the energy does not. It passes on. To what, to where, no clue.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  9. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Body release temperature ("energy") and rots. There nothing mysterious going on with body.

Now what happens with consciousness? Does it just "disappear" and dies with body, since there no active neurons to store it (realistic scenario). Or does it unbind itself from body and move on (fantasy scenario)?

10. Mikcannon

Mikcannon Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX980 Strix w/c
    Scientists are a strange bunch. Spending billions on studying space, stars, planets we can never visit.
    Be careful around scientists! be very careful (Hint: They produced nuclear weapons)

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960M
    Can someone explain this to me so a dumb person like me can understand it.

sverek, Lex Luthor and airbud7 like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'll explain it to you later kinda busy right now...

[​IMG]

13. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Top says souls are based on physics but might be immortal and go back to the whole of everything and anything if we die, opening up a way for rebirth or heaven, whatsoever.
    Bottom says if it was something based on physics we might have measured it by now, and it would end with the end of the system that keeps it alive, us.

I go back to gaming too like airbud now, need a break from work...

[​IMG]

airbud7, CalculuS and Lex Luthor like this.
  14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    This is a very good question. No need to feel dumb about it, we all simple human beings after all.
    I will do my best to explain it in details. Let's start from the basic, you see...

... WHat? @airbud7 drinking without me? ...

.. sorry man I'll explain it to you later!

Lex Luthor, airbud7 and CalculuS like this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Humans have been trying to answer that question since they became intelligent enough to ask questions, and they still don't have a answer, BUT, there is good news, when your time comes you will have it answered, of course the irony of that option is that if there is nothing then you won't be around to get the answer, bummer right, i mean talk about moving the goal posts after you have kicked the ball. lol

tensai28 likes this.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I hope graphics cards are cheaper in the afterlife.....

oh yeah, almost forgot...>and my girlfriend is really pretty ...:D

Lex Luthor likes this.
  17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Always found it amusing, how much interest people put into death, during life. Just live. You'll find out what it's like to be dead soon enough. Life goes fast. Not sure what the results would do anyway. Lets say 100% provable there's life after death, still don't know what it is. Is it Heaven and Hell? Is it another dimension? Are we floating energy?

Again, who cares. We will all know one day. Until then, I'm focused on livin'.

Lex Luthor and airbud7 like this.
  18. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    There could be life after death. We got here once, didn't we? Plus the concepts of infinity and eternity leave everything pretty open-ended. I'm not say they are real things (how could anyone know?). I'm just saying they're as possible as anything else. So if you have an infinity of universes in an eternal amount of time, chances are good "you" will come back around at some point. It could take several lives of the universe to happen, but you won't notice since you'll be dead. As far as I can tell, as soon as you die, you wake up (viewed from your personal perspective as a living thing). So really, we may never get to enjoy being dead. Fortunately, we can still enjoy *other* people being dead :)

19. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I like to think that the body does have some type of energy that continues after death. What you do with that energy or what happens to it, nobody knows.

20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    What a load of crap.

Imagine you drive a car at 300mph and hit a wall head-on. You die, and your energy (kinetic energy in this case) is absorbed by the wall.Yes, it's correct that the energy is not lost. Preservation of energy is a basic scientific principle. So your energy now lives on in the wall. Great. You're still dead though.

I just can't deal with people when they start spouting the "your energy" bullshit.