Afterburner shows wrong clocks for 12900k

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Rammler2, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Rammler2

Rammler2 Guest

GPU:
    Msi suprim x 3090ti
    Hi,
    Afterburner 4.6.4 has a Problem showing the correct boost clocks for the 12900k.

I have an msi z690 carbon wifi and unfortunatly i have the bug with the base clock that my baseclock is 99.8 although its set to 100 in bios.

So in windows the 12900k boosts with a multiplier of 51 to 5087 mhz.

But the afterburner always shows 5080.
    Even when i set the base clock to 100.25 to get 100 baseclock in Windows, afterburner still shows the wrong 5080mhz instead of 5100.

I figuered out that no matter what baseclock i chose, the shown boost in afterburner stays the same. Only when i Change the multiplier from 51 to 50 for example, afterburner Changes the displayed boost from 5080 to 4980 (that is still not correct).
    Is there any reason for this?
    I got the Feeling that afterburner cannot measure changes in base clock and only measures muliplier with a fictional baseclock? Anyway i dont understand why it shows 5080 then and not 5100. Even with the 99.8 baseclock it should show 5187...

Hwinfo and cpuz show the correct numbers.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

MSI AB doesn't support overclocked BCLK monitoring for Skylake and newer Intel CPUs, but internal HAL of RTSS OverlayEditor provides support for it. I do not plan to add it to Afterburner in the nearest future. And yes, if you at least tried to use search BEFORE creating the thread, you could easily find the answer.

3. Rammler2

Rammler2 Guest

GPU:
    Msi suprim x 3090ti
    Sorry for Not searching the topics.
    So does that mean that afterburner will always show 100 bclk boost instead of f.e 100.25 or 101?
    Whats weird is that there are videos where the boost is shown correctly in overlay:

Here the Overclock to 5087.6 mhz (5100mhz) with the bclk 99.8 is shown correctly in the osd. Or do i need to tweak rtss for this to be shown correctly in osd? Because my osd still shows 5080..

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    clocks are not static integers

5. Rammler2

Rammler2 Guest

GPU:
    Msi suprim x 3090ti
    Yes. But i just want to find out why my afterburner is not reading the boostclock correctly, while others afterburner is doing it just fine.

My afterburner should show 5087.6 mhz too. Like the guy in the video who has the same settings and the same CPU

6. Unwinder

Reread my post slowly, You may use CPU clocks reported by internal HAL of OverlayEditor plugin in RTSS to display overclocked BCLK on Skylake and newer CPUs. Alternately you may import CPU clocks into MSI AB from HWinfo/AIDA . Native CPU clock counters in MSI AB are using TSC clock for BCLK reporting, it is no longer affected by BCLK overclocking on Skylake and newer architectures and always runs at independent ~100MHz clock source.

7. Unwinder

It should NOT, learn some basics of clock frequency generation. 99.8 is closest rounded value, it is NEVER exactly equal to TARGET clock.

8. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    I guess you have your answer there, just use internal HAL for building your osd or import those values from other monitoring soft (hwinfo, aida, etc)

9. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Sorry @Unwinder , began to write my answer before your post got posted.

10. Rammler2

Rammler2 Guest

GPU:
    Msi suprim x 3090ti
    Ok thanks. Sorry, i am not an expert in clocks and stuff. Last question. What does HAL mean?

11. Unwinder

Hardware Abstraction Layer, it is the primary built-in monitoring data provider in OverlayEditor plugin.

12. revenge

revenge Member

GPU:
    gtx 680 lightning
    A bit late, but i had the same problem with Afterburner overlay showing wrong cpu speeds, and i found out after installing "intel extreme tuning utility" it was showing the correct speeds.
    Hope this works for you