1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterburner looses settings during Overwatch

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by User64, Sep 22, 2017.

1. User64

User64 New Member

GPU:
    R9 290 4096MB
    Hi,

i have a 4096MB Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectC U II OC which crashes all the time since I bought the card. I used Afterburner to clock the card down and ervything works fine.

After re-installing my system I installed the new Amd Radeon 17.7.2 drivers and Afterburner, but i wasn't able to clock down the card. So I installed Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 16 and downclocking worked again.

But I still have a problem playing Overwatch. The card is clocked down, I start playing Overwatch and ervything is fine. I tab back into windows, check afterburner, card is clocked down, everything fine.

At some Point, Overwatch crashed with "your rendering device has been lost". When I then check afterburner, I see that the card is not clocked down anymore. I don't know why Afterburner "looses" the clock down at some point during the game.

Anyone has an idea what to do?

Thanks a lot!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It is not AB "loosing" the card, it is display driver restoring defaults after crash. You're misunderstanding the principles of hardware control.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    As said before, after a driver crash the GPU will default to reference clock speeds of your card.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    And in turn, a driver crash could point you towards an unstable clock... maybe you reduced your voltage too much or something else is the issue. Besides a game or driver crash by itself of course, I don't know if driver crashes with your card / driver are common.

Did you try to install older drivers just to check? Same settings with AB? Did you try a final version of AB?