Afterburner looses settings during Overwatch

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by User64, Sep 22, 2017.

1. User64

User64 New Member

GPU:
    R9 290 4096MB
    Hi,

i have a 4096MB Asus Radeon R9 290 DirectC U II OC which crashes all the time since I bought the card. I used Afterburner to clock the card down and ervything works fine.

After re-installing my system I installed the new Amd Radeon 17.7.2 drivers and Afterburner, but i wasn't able to clock down the card. So I installed Afterburner 4.4.0 Beta 16 and downclocking worked again.

But I still have a problem playing Overwatch. The card is clocked down, I start playing Overwatch and ervything is fine. I tab back into windows, check afterburner, card is clocked down, everything fine.

At some Point, Overwatch crashed with "your rendering device has been lost". When I then check afterburner, I see that the card is not clocked down anymore. I don't know why Afterburner "looses" the clock down at some point during the game.

Anyone has an idea what to do?

Thanks a lot!

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

It is not AB "loosing" the card, it is display driver restoring defaults after crash. You're misunderstanding the principles of hardware control.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    As said before, after a driver crash the GPU will default to reference clock speeds of your card.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    And in turn, a driver crash could point you towards an unstable clock... maybe you reduced your voltage too much or something else is the issue. Besides a game or driver crash by itself of course, I don't know if driver crashes with your card / driver are common.

Did you try to install older drivers just to check? Same settings with AB? Did you try a final version of AB?