1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterburner apply on startup.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Tyler, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tyler

Tyler New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970m
    Some times it works, sometimes it doesnt. On a fresh start up it wont work, everything will be greyed out and no profiles are remembered. But if i restart it works again. I have the small "overclock on start up" button checked and start on start up setting on. Is there a tweak i need to do to make it apply/remember every time? my afterburner and graphics card is up to date, any input is appreciated, thanks.

GTX970m
    windows 10
    afterburner 4.6.1
    gpu driver: 431.60

i gave my solution on the 4th post. gl

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:11 AM
  2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Search forum for "mobile" and compatible.

3. Tyler

Tyler New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970m
    ugh. thanks. shame no software can reliably overclock laptops because of optimus

4. Tyler

Tyler New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970m
    ok so i figured out a solution to anyone trying to overclock an nvidia mobile gpu.
    1. Download nvidia inspector
    2. extract and open nvidiainspector
    3.click show overclocking.
    4. switch it around to set your needs, my 970m is simply set to +135 on base clock and +300 on memory clock, im not brave enough to fiddle with voltage but thats your choice. that gives me about 6-10 fps on games.
    5. apply clocks and voltage.
    6. create clocks shortcut.
    7. Check to make sure the shortcut you made applies the overclock. (heavens benchmark max settings to make sure you use 100% gpu, run heavens benchmark without the overclock to compare and make sure it works, make sure you do the actual benchmark, compare clock and memory numbers on the top right as well)

8. download freeware called "uac pass" i downloaded it from here
    https://sites.google.com/site/freeavvarea/UACPass-en#features-and-download
    but you can look somewhere else yourself. make sure you run it through virus total before you use it. (the one i linked as one positive out of 50 other ones. im sure this is just a false positive due to how the program is made to override UAC. ive used it for weeks and ran it through many virus scanners between then and was fine. if you really dont want to use this then you can either try to make your own start up task schedule program yourself with admin and hope it works, but ive never had any luck with that as it usually shows you a pop up asking for permission, the official way to bypass it is with
    Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit but i tried this and didnt have any luck, but maybe you can get it to work. I strongly recommend to save yourself the headache and just use UAC PASS.

9. open uac pass and activate the startup preset, dont change anything else and drag the overclock shortcut you made earlier into the bottom area where it says to. and run the file that appears on desktop after you make it. it should now be in your "task scheduler".

10. open task scheduler and open the dropdown box on task scheduler library and click on uac pass. your shortcut should be there. right click the shortcut and click properties. set it to windows 10 instead of windows 8 on the first tab. Go to triggers in the next tab and highlight and edit. Make it have a delay of 3 minutes under advanced settings. press ok and save.
    11. it should work now when you restart after 3 minutes. i have "fast start up" turned off however idk if that changes anything. you can turn it off by going to power options > system settings when pressing power button then change settings button at top then unboxing turn on fast startup, this will make your computer start slower but small price to pay.

Restart computer and run heaven benchmark (after 3 minute start up delay) and see if it applied.

the 3 minute delay is to prevent blue screen that can happen due to this error " Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." that happens due to the overclock not playing nice with start up programs. this link says more on it and states a possible alternative method to not have to do the 3 minute start up delay. i didnt try it but it involves removing NVidia Network Manager.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions...ed-memory-this-is-often-an-indication-that-ot

while ive only been fiddling with this for the evening the error message that is stated earlier only popped up once and despite that the oc stayed as normal and nothing bad happened so the message can be ignored. if you have an issue with it you can play the trying to remove nvidia network manager like stated above, but i didnt want to open that can of worms.
    hope this helps. (not proof read)

note 2: if you move the overclock shortcut you made in step 6 you will need to edit the location in task scheduler when you edit it, go to actions and edit and browse and select its new location. so just dont move it until you are sure it works. then do this.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 4:38 AM