1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Afterburner 2.0.0 Final + Kombustor 1.1.3

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Garrett_Wu, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Dear All

Today we announce new version 2.0.0 of highly-acclaimed MSI Afterburner. The most important function of Afterburner 2.0.0 is "Triple over-voltage" and you can start to use it on our hot-selling N460GTX Hawk that also is announced today.

Enjoy it and give us feedback so we can improve!

Download: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-download-2562.html

[Changelog]
    - Voltage control layer has been seriously revamped to give additional freedom
    to extreme overclockers with new custom design MSI graphics cards. Now MSI Afterburner is able to control up to 3 voltages on custom design MSI Fermi and other future custom design MSI graphics cards. New adjustable voltages include memory voltage and special multi-purpose auxiliary voltage feeding either memory bus (also known as VDDCI on AMD graphics cards) or PCIE bus and crystal (PEXVDD on NVIDIA graphics cards)
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N480GTX Lighning series graphics cards with uP6225+uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II OV3 series graphics cards with uP6218+uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Hawk series graphics cards with uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Cyclone series graphics cards
    - Added auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON HD 5870 series graphics cards
    - Added fan tachometer monitoring for NVIDIA graphics cards. Please take a note that not all graphics cards are tachometer reading capable. So depending on graphics card and cooling system fan tachometer monitoring can be unavailable
    - Optimized NVIDIA driver-level clock frequency monitoring codepath
    - Minimum clock limits for all graphics cards have been reduced from 75% to 50%
    - Dynamic overclocking, voltage and fan speed limits. MSI Afterburner no longer uses static slider limits calibration and adjusts the limits dynamically when some external factors affect it (e.g. Overdrive clock limits on AMD cards or VGA BIOS fan speed and voltage limits on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 cards)
    - New temperature hysteresis settings for software automatic fan control mode gives you additional way to improve cooling system thermal and acoustic parameters
    - Now fan speed limits (i.e. minimum and maximum fan speeds accepted by VGA BIOS and display driver) are displayed in custom fan speed curve editor
    window
    - Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized internal skin panels representation and optimized compiled bitmap cache
    - Optional skin compression ability in the built-in skin compiler. Skin format reference documentation has been updated to document new compression options
    - Minor built-in skins appearance tweaks
    - Now MSI Afterburner uses previously undocumented power user oriented startup mode via the task scheduler under Windows Vista / Windows 7. MSI Afterburner launch no longer requires UAC confirmation at Windows startup. Please take a note that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries must be installed to get new startup mode working
    - Now MSI Afterburner automatically fixes startup link if <Start with Windows> or <Apply overclocking at system startup> is enabled but the registry or task scheduler startup entry is missing
    - Startup profile is now displayed in <Apply at Windows startup> option floating tooltip instead of the main window
    - Now power users can enable optional DirectInput based hotkeys handler via the configuration file. DirectInput based hotkeys processing can seriously reduces hotkey response time in the applications heavily loading CPU (mostly 3D games) and leaving not enough time for processing standard keyboard input message queues. Please take a note that enabling such sophisticated hotkeys handling mode can cause some system security applications (e.g. pro-active application behavior analysis module of KIS) to warn you about possible keylogging threat
    - Improved skin engine, now skinned controls support horizontal and/or vertical centering. Skin format reference guide has been updated to document these new alignment modes
    - MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.2. New version gives you the following improvements:
    - Now screen capture events are identified visually by text message flashing in On-Screen Display during 0.25s
    - Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized compiled bitmap cache
    - Added On-Screen Display profile for Startcraft II : Wings of Liberty
    - Added configuration file switch allowing sending MSI Afterburner to system tray instead of closing on <Close> button click
    - <Start the task only when computer is running on AC power> option is no longer set in the startup task settings to allow automatically starting application via the task scheduler on laptops or on some UPS models
    - Added optional data filtering mode for all hardware monitoring graphs. Now it is possible to enable special math data filtering algorithm independently for each hardware monitoring graph to reject misreading spikes caused by sensor access conflicts when running multiple hardware monitoring tools at the same time
    - Now it is posssible to use both core and shader clock as the primary clock when adjust the clocks in linked mode
    - Fixed videomemory usage monitoring for non-primary NVIDIA graphics cards
    - Application restart is no longer required to apply new user interface language
    - Updated localization engine. Now floating tooltips based context help system supports macro definitions
    - Localization reference guide documentation has been updated to v1.1
    - Various typo fixes in different language packs
    - Added Korean localization

2. Roffle

Roffle Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD 5770 CUcore
    Finally it is out, keep up the good work!
    PS: The changelog is a wall of text.

3. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    Does Kombustor do SLI like Furmark??

4. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok a few things on my 460 hawk in the first few minutes of use

1.i cant get the voltage to read in ab yes i looked in the monitoring option but no voltage option at all.
    2. max voltage i can set is +100mv = 1.16v(dmm) 3d
    +200 would put it out of bounds within the drivers no?
    waaaaaaaa sniff.. sniff
    did i miss something?

edit 1 hmmm i just found alittle trick to get 1.27v in 3d :nerd: no blackscreen i love it.

edit 2
    not so good a trick cards a smokey mess right (have yet to see what burnt) now new record for me under 15 mintutes till death
    oh shucks i'm such a dumass.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010

5. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

1) uP6262 used to control voltage on 460 HAWK series doesn't support voltage feedback and software monitoring.
    2) +100mV guardband limit is defined by MSI, don't think that it will change in future builds.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ok thanks i know now and will be more carefull with the next one.
    cards is really nice btw.

7. Brutes

Brutes Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 Hawk@Crossfire
    The Multi GPU tester is not working for me. It only shows one GPU.

And there is a incorrect voltage reporting.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  8. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Thanks for the new one , all looks and runs super.

Just to update you Unwinder , it seems that there is a line in the dut translation missing.
    Localization\DUT\Translation\MSIAfterburner.exe = String Table.

This was not translated so I fixed it.
    #src %s skin has beed successfully decompiled!
    #dst
    #end

Don't know how I missed it , prior CL runs didn't show this missing part.

So for the future update of MSIAfterburner here is the new DUT localization with this line translated. http://www16.zippyshare.com/v/76475789/file.html

Sorry for the trouble .

9. Unwinder

Hi Tom. You didn't miss it, it was my own fault - I simply forgot to include this entry into the string table of all the previous versions. Thanks for new localization pack, I'll include it into 2.1.0.

10. civato

civato Master Guru

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Ok no problem Alexey, well that is sorted out then.

Cheers.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Full everything with my new CrossFireX 5770s

(Is it best to have POST FX on or off ?)

[​IMG]

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've noticed that the Multi GPU test only works in fullscreen mode now, which is the norm for CrossFireX usually as it isn't supported in windowed mode. However, although I'm not 100% certain I seem to recall the Multi GPU test in Kombustor was working in windowed mode before. Might be wrong though.

13. Giaki

Giaki New Member

GPU:
    Asus 9800 GTX 512 Mb
    kobustor have some problems with full screen mode. It goes in 1080i, instead of 1920x1200p
    With furmark no problem at all

14. steveb

steveb New Member

GPU:
    ati 5870
    I'm having a problem enabling "unlock power draw" in kombustor. I changed the 0 to 1 for "enable unlock power draw" in the startup file, but still can't check the box to enable in run mode. The change has definitely been made in the file, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks

15. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Thanks for this great app, AB + RP rocks socks, anyway, can I install this over the last stable release(1.6.x I believe) or should I do a "clean" installation?

16. Webbie

Webbie New Member

GPU:
    xfx / 5870 / 1 Gb
    lol read about my issue elsewhere
    Gonna try to see why i can not set higher clocks in version 2.0.0.0 on my XFX 5870
    While i can in 1.6.1 need to check if the card really do run those speeds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  17. Unwinder

Try to ask Google about "Overdrive clock limits", then find these words in the latest version release notes. Then you'll be able to find the answer yourself in your own posting in a different thread.

18. Ultraboss

Ultraboss New Member

GPU:
    MSI HD5850 OC
    Hi, thx for this powerfull soft !!!

I have a question about the triple voltage support (one more...)

It's written in the changelog :
    - Added auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON HD 5870 series graphics cards

and Garrett_Wu said :

Triple and Dual Over-Voltage is new plan, we will release more and more new products with this brand new feature, but this feature is combination of hardware and software, we can't do backward compatibility on older card because there is no required hardware design.

So is it missing hardware for the 5850's like the MSI 5850 OC or needs time to develop ??? because 5870's and 5850's are quite similar...

19. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Hi, I have exactly the same card, but from what I can gather poking around the Net, the 5850's and 5870's have the same memory voltage control IC, but the feature is not available on the 5850 due to bios limitation, and also probably hardware limitation.

Some have flashed 5870 bios into 5850 and can see the voltage to VDDCI, but not actually adjust it, even though the slider in AB seems to show that it does.
    I personally don't think flashing the bios is worth the risk of bricking the card.

Also I would say where they mention that there will be future support for dual and triple voltage adjust and monitoring, likely they are mostly referring to newer cards coming onto the market, not necessarily future MSI AB versions.

I would of course love to be wrong and see future Mem voltage control on the reference 5850's.

BTW when I picked up my card I was expecting it to be the stock one, not the OC model. I doubt there is any difference though apart from bios.

20. Raffav

Raffav New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    hi i am getting a problem, the i get uac on start up for the RTSS.exe now i already tried all thing possible but nothing, on task scheduler too help plase any one