Afterburner 2.0.0 Beta 6 (2010-08-12) Triple Over-Voltage

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Afterburner is almost 1 year old, during this year we successfully secured the leading posistion on graphics card utitlity, and start to find out our competitors try to keep up with us on over-voltage function. We're happy to see MSI Afterburner is leading the trend, but not satisfied with what we have now, we plan to go one step beyond everybody!

In Afterburner 2.0, we completely re-design the voltage control module, and implement world's first exclusive "Triple over-Voltage" function. On MSI hi-end graphics card like N460GTX Hawk, N480GTX Lightning, you can pull down the voltage control menu and over-voltage GPU, Memory and Aux.

By over-voltage GPU and Memory, you can reach even higher clock and performance than before. Aux over-voltage is also unique function of Afterburner 2.0, it can over-voltage PLL (PCI-Express, Crystal, Memory Bus) of GPU and help to push the clock limit to the highest under intensive overclocking.

[​IMG]

By using Triple Over-voltage, we successfully push N460GTX Hawk into 1GHz core clock UNDER AIR COOLING, it's uneachable clock unless you use Afterburner 2.0.

[​IMG]

You can start to download Afterburner 2.0 Beta today, try out compatiblity and give us feedback and suggestion. If you have 5870 reference card, you can try Aux over-voltage as well. N460GTX Hawk will be the first card supports Triple Over-Voltage, and MSI will release more and more cards support Triple or Dual Over-Voltage in the future.

[​IMG]

If you want higher 3D performance, MSI graphics card and Afterburner are your only choice!

Download: http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Beta-6-download-2604.html

Changelog
    - Voltage control layer has been seriously revamped to give additional freedom to extreme overclockers with new custom design MSI graphics cards. Now MSI Afterburner is able to control up to 3 voltages on custom design MSI Fermi and other future custom design MSI graphics cards. New adjustable voltages include memory voltage and special multi-purpose auxiliary voltage feeding either memory bus (also known as VDDCI on AMD graphics cards) or PCIE bus and crystal (PEXVDD on NVIDIA graphics cards)
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N480GTX Lighning series graphics cards with uP6225+uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II OV3 series graphics cards with uP6218+uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core, memory and auxiliary PEXVDD voltage control for custom design MSI MSI N460GTX Hawk series graphics cards with uP6262 voltage regulators
    - Added core voltage control for custom design MSI N460GTX Cyclone series graphics cards
    - Added auxiliary VDDCI voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON HD 5870 series graphics cards
    - Added fan tachometer monitoring for NVIDIA graphics cards. Please take a note that not all graphics cards are tachometer reading capable. So depending on graphics card and cooling system fan tachometer monitoring can be unavailable
    - Optimized NVIDIA driver-level clock frequency monitoring codepath
    - Minimum clock limits for all graphics cards have been reduced from 75% to 50%
    - Dynamic overclocking, voltage and fan speed limits. MSI Afterburner no longer uses static slider limits calibration and adjusts the limits dynamically when some external factors affect it (e.g. Overdrive clock limits on AMD cards or VGA BIOS fan speed and voltage limits on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 400 cards)
    - New temperature hysteresis settings for software automatic fan control mode gives you additional way to improve cooling system thermal and acoustic parameters
    - Now fan speed limits (i.e. minimum and maximum fan speeds accepted by VGA BIOS and display driver) are displayed in custom fan speed curve editor window
    - Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized internal skin panels representation and optimized compiled bitmap cache
    - Optional skin compression ability in the built-in skin compiler. Skin format reference documentation has been updated to document new compression options
    - Minor built-in skins appearance tweaks
    - Now MSI Afterburner uses previously undocumented power user oriented startup mode via the task scheduler under Windows Vista / Windows 7. MSI Afterburner launch no longer requires UAC confirmation at Windows startup. Please take a note that Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries must be installed to get new startup mode working
    - Now MSI Afterburner automatically fixes startup link if <Start with Windows> or <Apply overclocking at system startup> is enabled but the registry or task scheduler startup entry is missing
    - Startup profile is now displayed in <Apply at Windows startup> option floating tooltip instead of the main window
    - Now power users can enable optional DirectInput based hotkeys handler via the configuration file. DirectInput based hotkeys processing can seriously reduce hotkey response time in the applications heavily loading CPU (mostly 3D games) and leaving not enough time for processing standard keyboard input message queues. Please take a note that enabling such sophisticated hotkeys handling mode can cause some system security applications (e.g. pro-active application behavior analysis module of KIS) to warn you about possible keylogging threat
    - Improved skin engine, now skinned controls support horizontal and/or vertical centering. Skin format reference guide has been updated to document these new alignment modes
    - MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.7.2. New version gives you the following improvements:
    - Now screen capture events are identified visually by text message flashing in On-Screen Display during 0.25s
    - Built-in skin sizes have been reduced due to optimized compiled bitmap cache
    - Added On-Screen Display profile for Startcraft II : Wings of Liberty
    - Added configuration file switch allowing sending MSI Afterburner to system tray instead of closing on <Close> button click
    - <Start the task only when computer is running on AC power> option is no longer set in the startup task settings to allow automatically starting application via the task scheduler on laptops or on some UPS models
    - Added Korean localization

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    damn you guys are good, a pity i don't have an MSI card to take full advantage of the triple over-volt function

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    very nice!again MSI takes a tinkle on its Competition

but...where all the N480GTX Lightning be at? :)

4. Jonup

Jonup Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTS250 828/1944/2500
    Thanks guys!
    Just, wondering if there is any way to activate the voltage control on msi n250gts twin frozr. Advice for any modifications would be greatly appreciated.

5. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I've been waiting for this, thanks. :)

6. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    +1 MSI & Unwinder!

7. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    just an quick question...

is there a way to get more volts on the Card?

no matter what i try, max volts stay @ 1087 ????
    but i saw pics where it was @ 1100 etc etc...
    Please help me out guys....

having the GTX460

greetz Beta

8. Lory.hacker

Lory.hacker Member

GPU:
    hd4890
  9. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

On 460 reference card, 1.087 is upper limit. 460 Hawk is completely own design card, so we have wider voltage adjustment range.

10. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    oh, ok THX...still i dont get why i see cards that are non MSI and have more voltage??

anyway. when will we see the GTX460 HAWX edition in stores, or buy it...

greetings, beta

11. msi480gtx

msi480gtx New Member

GPU:
    msi 480 gtx/evga 750i ftw
    hi i am soo new to msi products... i do know where to go for information.
    i got evga 750i board/core2 duo cpu 2.14 ghz/6gb ddr2 with 700w power

i was playing hawx and my gpu fan jest stopped spinning! "stand still stop!!"
    my after burner software is set to "auto" 480gtx get hot

does it have safety function? when it happend my game keeps working "no frame drop or slow any kind my computer became quiet that is when i noted... turned off pc !!! thank the dear loard...!!!

then it happened again... while trying mafia 2 demo on steam...

"msi should blue screen my computer and and restart !!! i do not want my house burned down.. !!!"

please help and tell me why this could happen!!!

12. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Very happy to see all the new changes and added functionality of the new Afterburner. I only wish Afterburner was able to control voltage on my Vapor X 4890 ;-(.

13. damric

damric Banned

GPU:
    HD 5750 925core/1350mem
    You are the hero of the day. I'm going to download this today. I hope to see the high overclock limit increased on 5750 :)

14. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Nice guys nice job, I wanted to know if is possible in future to add the voltage control for old cards like mine, or is it impossible? Thx and sorry for my bad English !! :D

15. bhill63

bhill63 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Does anyone know if you can overclock independently both cards in SLI?

16. NCspecV81

NCspecV81 Banned

GPU:
    HD4870x2's Crossfire
    You got to be kiddin' me. This doesn't work on the 5870 Lightning II? However, this isn't the first triple voltage control software. One that comes straight to mind is the tracker2 software from asus that has core/vddci/memory voltage functions.

Also, I can't believe you guys went through 6 beta builds and only have additional voltage controls on the reference 5870's AND totally missed support of the 5770 hawks, 5850 twin frozr II's and the 5870 lightning's.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  17. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

And I cannot beleive that with each new release there is always <10 post smart pro poisoning the release day and always knowing hardware features and possibilities better than anyone and always knowing how to invest time into beta builds development properly. Enjoy getting into my personal ignore list. :D

18. NCspecV81

NCspecV81 Banned

GPU:
    HD4870x2's Crossfire
    Maybe wait to launch/announce it when there is full support?

19. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Who said that there will be "full" support for previous generation hardware? Don't you think that triple voltage adjustment may need additional programmable VRMs missing there? And no need to be dual faced, keep using your "another MSI fail" tone just like @ overclock.net.

20. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well I see you guys are still in fighting form :)