Afterburner 1.6.0 Beta 4 (2010-04-15) Add GeForce GTX 480 Over-Voltage!

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Garrett_Wu, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Considering that beta 5 is anyway not uploaded yet, I've redefined the limits in the database and set it to 150% for both shader and memory clock sliders on GTX 400 series. New build is on the way to MSI, so the one with redefined limits will be released soon (on Monday?).

2. DragonRR

DragonRR New Member

This might explain something I've been puzzling over. When I load MSI Afterburner Beta 4 it says my volts are 1025. If I hit reset it drops to 1000. If I then try and apply and run a bench I get pretty serious artifacting and usually a black screen hard lock.

Do I have a faulty card? Or.. is each card/chip checked and volted accordingly..? If the latter then the afterburner program needs to check for what the card is running at voltage wise before deciding that the reset value is 1000mv.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yes the pny card reports 1.05(and does clock a tad faster)then the galaxy card 1.00 3d
    you want something from the pny card? i will touch base later right now i'm ready to go cold with my 980x and see what i can do 3d wise :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. Unwinder

Yep, looks so.

That's easy to say what should it do, but that absolutely not that simple because NVIDIA driver API used to control voltages doesn't provide a way to read _default_ voltage. So <Reset> button always relies on hardware database defining default voltages for each model.

5. Unwinder

Thanks for confirmation. And nope, I don't need anything from that PNY card, thanks ;)

P.S. You still have full 9 lives. LOL

6. DragonRR

DragonRR New Member

Wouldn't this mean that every card has a different BIOS.. Or it would the adjustment be chip based? Either way seems like a lot of extra work for the factory!

Fair enough.. However one solution would be to offer to save the current state (since it is shown initially correctly by Afterburner) as the default and/or a warning that the default value may not match the card's true default. I was caught out myself.. I assumed the 1025mv was a false reading and went with the 1000mv "default" :)

7. Unwinder

No.

Why not? ATI does that the same (fusing custom VIDs inside some not too good GPU samples during GPU manufacturing) for ages since 2900 family.

You _cannot_ know if _current_ voltage is default one or it is altered by some other tool (like SmartDoctor or even by previous Afterburner session). So such apporach is not anyway better or probably even worse that database one. At least database work on the majority of normal chips.

8. DragonRR

DragonRR New Member

Thanks for your answer, I had no idea this had been done before.

Yes I understand your point however that is why I suggested that Afterburner "offers" to store the current setting as default with, perhaps, some explanation about why this might be important. As an alternative you might just have a tooltip over the voltage selector or the reset button mentioning that the default MAY not be correct.

Don't get me wrong the overclocking software is really excellent I was just stung by the voltage issue myself which caused my systems to lock and consequently end up with the Windows 7 chkdsk bug (infinite boot loop!) :bang:

9. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Just want to tell everyone I already receive Unwinder's new build, I'd like to work on weekend, but our digital-signed machine and website team only works on week days. Uploading new build will be my first task in Monday morning!!

Good Job!!!Unwinder, thanks!

10. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger Master Guru

Thanks for the update, and excellent =D.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

what was i thinking sry

still nine thats good :)

@mike yes benchies are going to be nicer now that G.W will have the "ride the lightning " ab beta out monday :nerd:
    i can almost max the slider 1800ish in sli on cold air.

thanks for the fast sevice garrett wu

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  12. sikvdila

sikvdila Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X OC
    Unwinder I have one question

Afterburner have automatic profile manager from where we can setup 2D and 3D profile to automaticaly starts Fan speed and OC when starting 2D, 3D soft, games.

so my question is, can you (Afterburner team) creat game, software detecting profailer to add game, software launcher and when run specific game, soft automaticaly set fan, oc profile which I made it before run game, soft?

13. Unwinder

No. That's RivaTuner's job, Afterburner is not indended to be that flexible and complex.

14. Celeras

Celeras Banned

GPU:
    eVGA GTX780 ACX SC
    Just curious, is there any reason why Stealth Mode isn't enabled by default? The tooltip doesn't make it seem like there are any negatives with turning it on, but not doing so could cause some problems :3eyes:

Does it use more resources or something? Why WOULDNT I want stealth mode on?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    I thought stealth mode was like automatic or something DUDE.

16. Unwinder

Stealth mode make OSD invisible for things like Punkbuster, but it also makes it invisible for other OSD tools like FRAPS, which normally _must_ be aware of other OSD tool running to provide safe concurent OSD rendering. So it can conflict with such tools and it is enabled by default due to this reason. Compatibility with FRAPS with stealth mode ON has been increased a lot in v3.7.0, but there is still a risk of reducing compatibility with other tools when stealth mode is ON, so I prefer to keep it disabled by default.

17. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    Here is what I've got stable with a little bump in voltage (my card came in with 988mV by default, that was only stable for 840Mhz core/1000 memory). It seems that voltage bump also helps the memory for some reason. Before voltage tweak, the memory would not run Vantage at all beyond 1010. With the voltage tweak 1050 is not a problem. Also ran 2 runs of Heaven 2.0, no problems there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010