Afterburner 1.5.0 Final (2010-2-10)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Garrett_Wu, Feb 10, 2010.

1. douglatins

douglatins Guest

fan recognition not working, always shows 30% regardless of CCC %. And overlay not working in DX11

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2010
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Discussed just 6 posts above! Read before posting please!

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3487977&postcount=55

And try to peek into readme / known limitations section. It is created for reason too.

3. JcRabbit

JcRabbit New Member

GPU:
    HD 5870 1 GB
    Excellent application, but the user interface is INFURIATING! :realmad:

1. That monitor window, if you close it there is no obvious way to get it back other than restarting the program. How about adding a simple checkbox in Settings saying 'Show Monitor Window'? Or a button in the main window to toggle it on and off, like you have the 'I' for information window?

2. After detaching the monitor window you have to press close (x) to re-attach?!! Are you kidding me? You have a nice bing Detach button and then no obvious way to re-attach? Again, how about a nice checkbox in Settings with 'Attach Monitor Window' or a nice big button in the main window/monitor window that shows up when the monitor window is detached?

The User Guide also says NOTHING about re-attaching and/or re-opening the monitor window.

3. Switching between linear and stepped curved modes in Fan settings: in the example pictures you show the stepped mode, but by default you have linear mode enabled. When the first time user starts adding nodes he has NO IDEA that you have two modes and doesn't understand why what he gets on the screen is NOT what he saw in the pictures.

The solution is BURIED in the tips text, which frankly are repetitive and difficult to read because they're all pilled up. A nice idea not implemented very well.

Anyway, double clicking the window to switch between modes? Who thought of that? Why not a simple checkbox, plainly visible, saying 'Linear Mode' or 'Stepped Mode'? Why make things complicated? ;-)

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but it is REALLY FRUSTRATING to run into these issues. Makes the user feel stupid (and I know I'm not!) and therefore less likely to report on them. This is a technical tool, after all, heh?

4. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Oooo boy, well as far as detaching and reattaching, it was discussed in a post here by the author:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3488037&postcount=56

as far as the rest of your concerns go, well I'm sure you'll get a response soon ;) Oh, better keep your asbestos suit close :eek:

[​IMG]

5. Unwinder

Keep dreaming. That's not EVGA forum and your old good personal attack attempts and provocations (as well as other posts with similar content) won't work. So no, neither you nor him will get any response soon until you learn to talk differently and reduce your ambitions a bit. And I prefer to spend time wth normal users in different threads.

6. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    :grin: Classic!

7. JcRabbit

JcRabbit New Member

GPU:
    HD 5870 1 GB
    Sorry, Unwinder, but what I wrote was actually CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. The tone in which it was said was for you to understand how frustrating these little issues really are (and how easy to fix).

Whether you fix them or not, I personally couldn't care less (I *already* know how to re-attach the window, after all)... that post was for YOUR benefit and that of your future users, not mine.

So if you choose not to talk to me because I criticized your work (as a fellow software developer, I actually prefer and *welcome* constructive criticism over boot licking any time of the day) then that is your prerogative.

8. Unwinder

If you don't see any difference between normal and polite "I gon't understand GUI / I don't like GUI / If I were you I'd implement it differently" and your "user interface is INFURIATING / Are you kidding me? / the user feel stupid (and I know I'm not!) " then you have SERIOUS problems with understanding of what constructive criticism is. And you definitively have serious problems with built-in help system reading too. Your statements are not true and the answer was right in front of your nose, in hardware monitoring window and <Detach> button context help (who would think about searching help on attachment/detachment there, right?):

Detach
    Detaches monitoring window from the main window and allows you to define custom monoitoring window position and size and keep it visible even when software is minimized to system tray.

Hints:
    - You may also detach monitoring window by double clicking it. You may double click detached monitoring window or simply close it to attach it back to the main window.
    - You may disable user interface tooltips via <User interface> tab in advanced properties.

So come back with diffferent discussion style or just use some alternate tool. And I'll keep designing my terrible tools and force competitors to copy and follow it regardless of trolling in the forums.

9. JcRabbit

JcRabbit New Member

GPU:
    HD 5870 1 GB
    Aren't you being terribly defensive? I know these things are 'our babies' but you really should have a thicker skin IMO.

The problem is that you are still thinking as a programmer (you are one, after all) and not as a user. Something you should know already: users DO NOT read User Guides, users do NOT read hints (at least not until they are so damn stuck they don't know what else to do). Work with that expectation in mind. Users will experiment before reading any documentation.

By the time the user presses Detach (and he WILL before reading the hints), it's already too late. That button is gone and so are the hints you mention.

Why are you taking this personally instead of just saying 'Ok, whatever his tone, he is right, this is something I should fix/be more careful about'. Pay attention to the message, not the messenger. I never said the whole program sucks, just that the UI is frustrating.

Now a bit of boot licking: I absolutely LOVE the fan control in MSI AfterBurner, especially the linear one. Good job! :)

But the damn interface still is INFURIATING. ;-) (And for Christ sake take this with a bit of humor!) :p

10. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I've just bought a new laptop with a 5730m gpu and AMD GPU tool will clock this gpu with no issues, but unfortunately settings are lost after a reboot.

When I try to use Afterburner it just resets without updating the clocks..... Is there anyway round this?

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont know whats going on but this is like the 10th time my fan gets switched from auto to manual and stuck on 40% (with different drivers). Temps would go to the high 90's in a game. Good thing the OSD was working to show me. I think I will go back to RT for peace of mind.