Afterburner 1.5.0 Final (2010-2-10)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by Garrett_Wu, Feb 10, 2010.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    196.75 drivers do not seem to work well with AB for me. Temps were reported about 10c higher than usual (but Everest temps seemed normal). After playing some music vids, temps shot up to 101c and fan speed was 0. Everest was much lower, but still unusually high (70c) for just watching vids. Reverted back to 196.34 driver and everything back to normal.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I have more than serious doubts in that, sorry. Everything in monitoring part besides realtime clocks reading is implemented at NVIDIA display driver level in Afterburner. So it is close to impossible to make AB monitor temps improperly due to some problem in it because it doesn't access the sensor itself. And as for difference between AB and Everest, users _constantly_ confuse raw temperatures read from _external_ thermal sensor (which _doesn_t_ include thermal compensation added to it by driver) with real temperature. Use RT and compare GPU temperatures read from different sources (it can be done be selecting different data providers in Core temperature graph).

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I can not discuss the technical aspects of the sensors or how your apps function because of course you know better. I can only report what I see in the monitoring interfaces. After you mentioned this, I also wondered why I was the only one reporting differences and unusual behavior in temps, I thought maybe some glitch in my system, so re-installed 196.75 to test again. This time everything seemed normal. A few hours later, temps began to deviate from the norm again (at least in idle). Then I saw two others report fan stoppage (in the 196.75 thread) and temps over 100c but in Precision. And when they uninstalled 196.75 everything was OK. Same as happened to me in AB.

As far as Everest sensors, whether its raw or driver data, I will defer to you. But I have always noticed the GPU temps to be the same as RT or AB until I tried 196.75 when they began to deviate.

4. Unwinder

Don't you think that if the driver have open issue with stopping fan after resuming from suspended mode than it is _logical_ to expect temperatures growing in monitoring? :) I have nothing to fix in this area either in Precision or in Afterburner and I won't return to this question, sorry. Back to more important tasks (Fermi support implementation).

5. EarlZ

EarlZ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 780
    Im using the MSI after burner 1.5 on my GTX285 and when I reboot my PC the hardware monitor shows up when windows loads, I already have the option "Minimize to tray" selected.. Any other ways to make the hardware monitor ( tab ) not to show up on start up ?

6. Unwinder

Monitoring window is supposed to be displayed always when it is detached from the main window. So the only way to get it minimized on the startup is to attach it back to main form.

7. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I have a reference design gigabyte GTX 260 216 65nm...but voltage control is not working for me. Not sure what to do...though I am doing a Phenom 2 build tonight so will be doing a fresh install of windows, perhaps it's just some sort of software conflict.

8. Unwinder

The part of software documentation listing graphcis cards with software voltage control support in MSI Afterburner clearly says the following:

Reference design NVIDIA graphcis card series:

- Reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 series (dual PCB models only)
    with VT1165 voltage regulator
    Voltage control : independent 3D voltage control (*)
    Voltage monitoring : not supported
    Voltage limit : 1350mV
    Voltage step : 12.5mV
    - Reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 series
    Voltage monitoring : target voltage monitoring
    - Reference design NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 series (192sp 65nm models only)
    Voltage monitoring : target voltage monitoring

9. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    CCC & AB not playing well together...

I just purchased an MSI 5970 and I've had great luck with overclocking this past week using AB. However, it would appear AB doesn't play very well with CCC with regards to "Enable user defined software automatic fan control". CCC seems to override it most of the time so for now I just use CCC fan control and AB's voltage and freq settings. I've tried unchecking "Enable manual fan control" from within CCC "ATI Overdrive" but it always re-enables itself. I've tried unchecking "Enable ATI Overdrive" altogether but same thing, always CCC fan control has a mind of it's own eventually so I'm not sure what exactly is going here and what to try. One suggestion I've read is to just use AB for voltage and freq selection then close it and use CCC fan control but this vastly reduces the functionality of AB, any ideas here? For reference I use this curve for fan control with AB:

[​IMG]

One other annoyance I'd like to point out is with software fan control unchecked in AB and instead using manual fan control in CCC, I'll set it at 65% for example, and it'll run ok for a short time. Then I'll fire up my Outlook email or some other non 3d app, browsing the internet etc. and the fan speed shoots up to 70% and just stays there until I either load defaults in CCC or exit AB, ideas here? IMHO it's crappy CCC that's the root cause for all of this and If I could just dispense with CCC altogether and load some reg tweaks that do my color and 3D adjustments, I'd be happy.

I particularly like the "Automatic Profile management" feature with AB but wish the software fan control would cooperate with CCC. The only real reason I use CCC is to adjust desktop color palette and also 3D settings (Catalyst AI etc.) but other that that I don't frankly care for it and never really did as it's been buggy at best since day one. Any help is appreciated in advance, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. EarlZ

EarlZ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 780
    How can I attach it back to the main window, it seems that I might be doing something wrong.. When I launch Afterburner from a reboot the HW monitoring window is detached... if I click on close on the HW monitoring window it sticks back to the main window.. when I reboot it is detached.. So i might not be attaching it properly.

EDIT:

Some screens

[​IMG]

This is what i see when i reboot..

[​IMG]

This is what i get when I click on the afterburner icon on my system tray and i click on the "x" on the HW monitoring window

[​IMG]

And it sticks back to the main window, i restart my computer like this and i end up with picture #1.. So im not attaching it properly =(

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010

11. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Hi Earl, if I may try these; when you click the "x" to reattach before rebooting, close out AB then restart it and see if it still does it. If this doesn't work, and you may or may not have thought or even tried this yet, try fully uninstalling, i.e. not saving previous settings and reinstalling to see if that's the culprit, corrupted registry etc. With mine I have no issues when I detach and reattach upon rebooting, hopefully that'll help, good luck.

12. EarlZ

EarlZ Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Zotac GTX 780
    The x then close then reboot worked, why didnt i think of that. Thank you very much!

13. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    You're very welcome Earl, glad you got it working again :thumbup:

14. lowdog

lowdog Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    5970 + 5870 trifire.

1.50 reads the 1st core/mem speeds of 5970 correctly as 157/300 when idle but reads second core at full speed 725/1000 and 5870 at full speed 850/1200 when idle so something wrong there. When 3d load is applied all jump to full speed and when the load is taken off back to desktop all speeds go down to 157/300 but very soon the second 5970 core/mem and 5870 go back to full speed....buggy.

Also doesn't register differen fan speeds when changed via ccc.

Buggy.

15. Unwinder

Both "buggy" things were commented many times. First one is AMD's ULPS technology in action and there is direct note about it right in this thread into the changes list, providing you compatibility switch (if you're happy with slow AMD's implementation of course). Second one is custom 5970 sensor used exclusively on 5970 graphics card model. And as commented before, we won't add personal support for this sensor just because of 5970 and AMD's own native monitoring implementation for it is also DEADLY ineffective and slow and causes nothing but periodic stuttering when enabled. So seriously, use search. And try to avoid making posts like this , they give yout really good chances to have a rest of forum.

16. Unwinder

<X> and double clicking are absolutely equal, the key was manually closing Afterburner prior to reboot. And it is definitively not supposed to work that way, manual application closing was not intended to be required for proper attachment state saving. So it is a bug and it will be fixed.

17. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    lowdog, go here:

http://www.evga.com/FORUMS/tm.aspx?m=125438

and just follow the registry fix method. I've exported it out for any future reformats, works like a charm. Personally I gave up on fan control in AB and just use CCC for that now and voltage and freq adjustment in AB. It's all moot anyhow once I get water on this card in a few weeks. BTW I see that you WC yours, I'd be interested in what clocks are you running and temps are you getting over stock? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. lowdog

lowdog Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    Ta,

Was watercooling it but had too many problems with it locking/freezing/2D corruption-driver recovery bs so I just use the stock cooler on it now at stock speeds. Did 900/1225 with wcing and 1.625v core.

Remounted the EK block 6 times and always had the same problems with the card when the block was on it, even at stock speeds. Everytime I put the stock cooler back on it the card became stable...eveytime the EK block went back on the card turned to crap. And yes I did mount it correctly everytime so :3eyes:

19. topcaser

topcaser Member

GPU:
    MSI R5570
    Hi Garrett_Wu,

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a Sapphire 5570 as well as a MSI 5570. I really can not find any difference in these both cards regarding layout and regarding used electronic parts.

I also can not find uP6262 which is packed on a 5670. Which electronic part do i have to search for?? Thanks again for your help.

20. Governator

Governator Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    Thanks for your insight lowdog, I'm sorry to hear of your experiences with the EK block. I'll PM you with any further thoughts with this so as not to get to far off topic here.

Back on topic, I would like to ask if perhaps memory voltage adjustment would be implemented with any future development. I do however tender this request with my experiences with overclocking ram in general where I find little gains are achieved after a certain point but for more robust cooling methods, e.g. chilling, phase etc. are utilized might be nice to have this option aside from hard modding. For now, I'm running @ 925/1200 nicely under air and happy with these results until I get water or chilling in place here soon.