After Samsung 840 EVO issues now the 850 pro has issues too ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2015.

1. GPU

GPU Guest

late last year I wanted a bit more room for C drive having a 840 pro 256
    after deleting games all the time to make room for new ones.
    choices
    -buy a new 500gb ssd - evo's looked cheap or a 850 pro.
    -use my 750gb evo back up drive and back up to what ,had it with spinners.
    -new ssd in 2015 should be cheaper \ better, but did not want to wait.
    -plus only intel 2 sata 3 ports

so looking around I found another 840 pro on sale cheap , so back to raid 0 I go.

seems it was the right move for now.

2. NAMEk

NAMEk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    I agree. We don't live in a cave do we? Firmware upgrade/update has become almost as common as driver updates. And if you're technician or a little bit in to electronics world, you should know, that chips has been made for 10000 reflashes and more, and almost every time is oems fault by failing those processes. Their crappy software is guilty. I have 50/50 luck in flashing bioses and 100% luck in flashing other hardware firmware. But i've made few programmers to overcome that issue if something goes wrong, because it goes too many times. If chip fails to write data, it means that it's faulty chip and has to be replaced which is rare, because i've had one bad SPI chip in my life. Firmware update is 99% safe if you are using good software. But they provide 50% of the time bad software. So i fully understand the frustration of these people, and just a friendly suggestion: always make a backup of your sensitive data, you never know when oem will screw you. And update your firmware all the time as update become available, just be prepared for fail.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    There is an extensive thread about the issues on Samsung's 840 and 840 Evo SSDs on overclock.net (http://www.overclock.net/t/1507897/samsung-840-evo-read-speed-drops-on-old-written-data-in-the-drive). The issues happen to the old data and files. For this reason it takes half a year or so until you start noticing the problems. You need to use some specific software to detect the problems clearly. The firmware fix that they released last October obviously did not work (http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Storag...e-Restoring-Firmware-Only-Partially-Effective). I have 840 Evo. But I sort of lost trust in Samsung's SSDs.

4. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    That fix supposedly destroyed my restore points.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Pretty much this. Especially since their 'fix' for the recurring problem is not a new firmware, but the implementation of the restoration tool into their magician software. Disappointing.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Still rocking my Corsair Neutron GTX. Very sold line of drives.

7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
  8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well I don't see anything amazing about writing 1PB of data to disk
    Thats like 1 month of continuous writing.

I mean the bloody thing comes with 10 year warranty, and Techreport is celebrating 1 month of its life?!

9. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    840Pro has warranty for 10 years OR 73 TB writen, and they wrote 2000TB to it. Yeah sure, nothing impressive in SSDland.

10. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Not sure if serious...ever heard of doing backups of your stuff ? external hard drive, another drive on another computer, on the cloud, USB key, CD/DVD. Hell, backups of backups are the best backups, never trust one single backup.

I believe the old rule still apply. Updates can also be buggy and can cause issues months later too, it goes both ways. Make backups and fix stuff when issues arise, prevention isn't always a good solution with computers.

So yeah, "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015

11. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB here still going strong (thankfully) lol

I've had Crucial C300 (still have in laptop), Samsung 830, and Toshiba Q's in the past so I replace my SSD's every other year so I'm not too worried but it does suck for those that don't replace or have one as their main drive or even laptop people. For example those who have business and school stuff saved on their laptop and were hit by the 850Pro bug, thats why I kinda wait it out but so far I think 840 Pro is the drive to get for its known stability and durability.

12. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Member Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    best ssds

YIP Samsung can make fridges, not ssds
    Get to the top spot with fast ssds like Crucial and OCZ and have reliability
    Ive never in a few years had any problems or slow downs with these ssds and i game everyday and watch movies etc:)

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Those warranties only apply to certain countries... not everybody gets those. In case of the 840 evo, they give away 3 years here (which isn't much more than two years they're forced to do by law here anyway), with the 850 evo it's 5 years. Also, the question is, what does it help if they refuse a RMA because the drive still runs, although slow? ;)

Cruical isn't always as fast as Samsung, and my first SSD was a OCZ, and it broke down just after two years. Also, OCZ is Samsung now, and I'm not sure on how this will affect them in the mid to long run.

14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    still runing ocz agility 3 60 gb boots fast doing things fast

15. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Good thing that shorter length of a warranty in some countries does not affect actual lifetime of that SSD, he?

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Hehe yes, unless it slows down significantly and periodically, unless you haven't noticed. I wouldn't care for write speeds to be honest, but seeing a drop in read is what you feel every day.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What kind of news is this? A guy posts something on a forum and that makes it newsworthy, no need for confirmation?

If the mouse cursor appears on this screen the SSD is clearly not bricked. Bricked would be if the SSD wasn't detected in the BIOS and could not be reflashed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.1
    I'm glad I bought the 850 EVO knowing that I would have forced myself to update my firmware either way and most likely bricked my device.