After Samsung 840 EVO issues now the 850 pro has issues too ?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2015.

1. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I update to fix things before they break. Of course there's always the risk of something broken by the update, but that should be known after a few days, so if after a week nothing happened, I update.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    You don't get it do you?

You don't have to search for Win 8.1 64 bit 15.2 Mantle 78.321 driver, then download it, and then decide whether you gonna install it.

Clicking that suddenly available, Update button in Magician IS ALL IT TAKES

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Contact Samsung, or just wait for further instructions. Apparently he's not alone.

I see discussion here and few smileys. You're the only one crying here

4. Pura.

Pura. Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780ti

5. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    That is the problem right there - the old rules of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" don't apply anymore. You might not know what problem is actually being corrected because no major reputable manufacturer releases complete transparent release notes. Your drive might be fine now but in two months a problem you don't even know about might manifest and that fix is buried in the update.

6. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    of all the components in the system if my harddrive fails I will lost all my on-going programming software , which will be a disaster ...

7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    External HDD or NAS + Acronis Scheduled Clone backups = WIN

8. jwb1

jwb1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
  9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Maybe I dodged a bullet?

I have an 830. No problems were reported that I'm aware. Then because of the new chips in the 850 series and because of the 840 issue I went with an 850 Evo only a few days ago.

Now it seems there are issues with the 850 Pro! I hope it stop there. Hope they get fixes for all you guys.

10. maize1951

maize1951 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 8GB
    I was just thinking about buying an Samsung 850 Pro, I might still but I would not update the firmware untill the firmware is fixed. By the way I hope Samsung replaces the bricked SSD's for free (even the return postage).

11. scorpscarx

scorpscarx Member

GPU:
    I flashed mine the bootable usb stick way, and aside from the 1.0 really underdeveloped flash program that scared me at the end, it worked successfully and flashed.

They have removed it from the 850 pro firmware download page.

The drive is working and I noticed like a 10 point score bump with asssd vs 1b.

12. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Well lets see, my old 830 pro that's years old is still going strong that I sold to a mate & the 840 pro & evo drives I have in my current pc are also working fine so in my own experience I'd say nope, intel aint the only reliable ssd's to choose from.

Samsung aren't the only ssd manufacturer to have firmware issues, happens to all makes of ssd & I certainly wont be put off from buying Samsung ssd drives in the future.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    So all these problems with Samsung´s SSD are just a question of (bad) luck and generally they are reliable?

I´m asking this because sooner or later i´m gonna buy one or two SSDs for my PC and i´m trying to find out what brands are worth buying.

14. Nuk1e

Nuk1e Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX980Ti Strix
    Wow that sounds really bad, I updated my firmware when the software told me there was new firmware and without hesitation I updated mine and its still working correctly knock on wood.

15. Antykain

Antykain Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1
    I'm sitting on 4 SSD's atm. An Intel 530 Series 120GB (my boot SSD), 2x 250GB Sammy 840 EVO's, and a 500GB 850 EVO. While I have never experienced any issues with any of my SSD's, as of yet, this news is making me think twice about doing any future firmware updates to my Samsung SSD's. And then there was this bit of news a few days ago about the slowdowns of the 840 EVO's.. again. (http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/samsung-investigating-840-evo-slowdowns.html) Which there was already an issues with months back and had a firmware update to fix. Another firmware update incoming for this new issue that some are experiencing? Probably so.. I have not seen any slowdown on my 840 EVO's personally with 'older' data on the drive. Guess I'll consider myself lucky, for now, as all of my Sammy SSD's have been performing very nicely. And, even with the recent news of the Samsung 840 EVO and 850 Pro having issues, I'm pretty sure it'll get ironed out.

As for my Intel 530 Series SSD.. No issues out of this SSD yet. Thankfully. I also own a Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD which is in my other rig. The 520 Series SSD is going on 3 years of service for me without an issue.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

16. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Ah! too late already updated my, and still working. Although it isn't the SO drive, yet, that's on a 840 evo.

17. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Sounds like my setup :D Separate spare HDD on disabled SATA port, gets a clone off my OS SSD once a week. Create backup to NAS once every day and one off-shore backup every week. All with Acronis of course ;)

18. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti
    Imho, all modern SSDs will do just fine in normal use, even if some are of course better.
    http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment/5

19. slyphnier

slyphnier Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    intel is one of the most reliable imo (i personally always use intelssd on my system)
    the price is higher than most available ssds at the market
    but if u care of ur data, then few bucks pricier means nothing

considering getting pro 2500series that intend for more reliability or get DC/enterprise series if considering ur data that critical/sensitive

other than that
    curcial also good (i never use it though), plextor,toshiba seems works okay too
    toshiba might not the best in terms performance, but as they producing their own nand, so they can pick good grade to use on their ssd, well their ssd seems more seen in oem

but even with all that, like every electronics, it can fail without any reason
    so always backup

20. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    All I can say is I feel sorry for those affected. In today's world it's hard to make the right choice. Samsung is a great company and their SSDs have been praised in all the reviews and now this. I hope a permanent solution is found soon.