1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After my 8800GTX I succesfully GPU oven-baked GTX 580. Same procedure. Same result: PERFECTION.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Punisher!|ITA, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    My old 8800GTX started doing red horizontal lines after some years. I baked it in the oven. It worked for another six months, then I upgraded.
    Now my GTX 580. Used for 4+ years. Then it started doing blue horizontal lines almost everywhere. I baked it in the oven. Working like day 1.
    Procedure:
    1) Unmount every cooler\plastic parts. It means you will need T4 srewdriver for most screws.
    2) You don't have to remove paper labels, they resist.
    3) Remove all the thermal paste, you will replace it after cooking.
    4) Take the naked GPU with GPU at top, under it put oven\cooking paper (not aluminium paper), cover plastic 6/8-pin PCI-E power sockets with a little piece of cooking paper for more safety (these are the only exposed plastic parts left), then put it in the oven at the middle with baking tray.
    5) Oven setting: you have to pre-heat it to 180°Celsius/356°Fahrenheit, then you put the GPU at middle with baking tray (GPU at top). VERY IMPORTANT: It must be set to STATIC, not fan-assisted\"ventilato", this would definetely break the card, not grill too, just STATIC HEAT FROM TOP AND BOTTOM.
    6) Leave the card for 8 minutes (8,5 is still OK, not much over 9 minutes).
    7) Remove the tray and wait a bit until the card is touchable, then remove from tray and leave it over a table until it's fresh.
    8) Put thermal paste everywhere, close it, put in your PC, voilà new card.
    Have fun.
    Do at your own risk anyway.

Maddness, Hulk12 and jura11 like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Did you bake some cokies with it?

Netherwind likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Can I get some milk with that?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    The plastic bits can handle very high temps so wont melt in an oven at 200c

I did a radeon r9 280 twice, you can use aluminium foil to prop up the card on a baking tray no need for anything else

cool though mate, works with phones and also sometimes with mobo's

Dragam1337 and jura11 like this.

5. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Baked my EVGA GTX1080 too which failed on me, RMA has been out of question as my brother throw away my box with backplate and original cooler and only option has been for me to bake GPU...

GPU is still going strong after 6-9 months and still with same OC(2100MHz), after that never have any issue with the card

Baking sometimes is best option when RMA is not option or not possible

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

BlackZero likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Grats you got your card(s) fixed.

I always wondered, in the solder, are there maybe chemicals I would not want to have on my oven / food? Can anybody tell me what's inside that stuff?

7. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I read there is a possibility of such things happening but as long as you give the oven a good clean and airing out after you should be fine

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Punisher!|ITA

Punisher!|ITA Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX
    There is the danger but following the procedure in first post the risk is minimum. Even smell is not bad. If you prolongue cooking or increase temperature risk is worse.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. pulverizor

pulverizor New Member

GPU:
    nvidia
    the real mystery's how people manage to fry their GPU in a couple o years?????

I'd a GTX580 last over 7 years till I recently sold it
    non-OC & in well cooled case with 4 fans but the card itself was a founder edition with only 1 mini fan & it still heat up like crazy over 80°C in gaming

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    If you disassemble the GPU, to the bare PCB, they're all RoHS compliant. At the temps you're using to attempt to reflow the solder, you should not have any significant outgassing.

XenthorX likes this.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I tried this on about 20+cards not a one came back:D

Hulk12 likes this.
  12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    i would be concerned with industrial chemical particle, lead and such to stick around in the oven, i assume you need a spare oven for this o_O

anticupidon likes this.
  13. Hulk12

Hulk12 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti SC+
    On december 10th, 2009, I had baked GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB at first time and it worked 100%. :D