After FC5, i Went Back to FC4 with a new CPU

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by pegasus1, Nov 25, 2019.

1. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    So i've completed FC5 a couple of times with all its annoying cut scenes but lovely graphics and in my view efficient engine.

I thought id go back to FC4 now that i'm running a X3800 rather than my old i& 2700k at 5ghz.
    I also used Open World and Attachments mod.

First thing i notice is how poorly optimised this game is, it runs about the same speed as FC5 but doesn't look anywhere near as good, but it also seems to have better enemy AI, not thats its good but the bad guys in FC5 are just shocking.

I also noticed the game now crashed whenever any of the NV specoific setting are enable in the graphics menu, not that they make much of a difference.

Finally im stunned how much of a difference having a x3800 @ 4.4ghz has made over my old i7, when using a 1080Ti at 2070mhz and at 4k.

FC primal is still my favourite of the series, il hit that up once im done with FC4.

2. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've been meaning to replay FarCry 2 myself. Primal was a good one as well, although the series in general is starting to wear on me personally. The next one really needs to change things up.. and I don't just mean the scenery.

3. styckx

styckx Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    The Far Cry series is where the AC series was before Origins.. Stale, repetitive, cut and paste with new scenery.. Ubisoft did a great job of refreshing it with Origins and then Oddysey. Let's hope Far Cry gets the same treatment.

Kolt likes this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The far cry engine, the king of sing thread gaming in 2019.
    Which is kinda funny because Ubisofts other engines tend to each cores for breakfast.

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080
    farcry 2 was peak farcry coolness. so much stuff in fc2 was removed in further titles. why? ubisoft probably feels like they need to rush games they develop out the door so much of the special things about fc2 were lost.

Duke Nil likes this.
  6. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Some horrid bugs in FC2 though and the maleria thing just killed it for me, i cant remember much about FC3 so will go back to that as well.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Im honestly surprised FC is seeing better performance with 3800x. Engine is barely using few cores.

We know that FC3 is the best in the series. :p

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Ive seen the same results in the DCS Sim series, very noticeable improvements with the new CPU and that uses two cores at best.

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    OP's on point with the AI, though. The grunts in FC3 and 4 were weak (as in low hitpoints, or the guns did mostly too high a damage to notice a difference between a pistol and an assault rifle), but they were smarter. I've played FC5 over at my cousins house (it was her first FC experience), and couldn't believe how dim the hicks were. I even let them ring the alarm on purpose, to get more stuff to shoot, and they could barely find me, even when not crouching (this was on hard, btw.).

Ubisoft really needs to step up it's game, and make the enemies smarter and more of a threat, not keep churning this lukewarm sandbox that shies away from any challenge, even at the highest difficulties. The best FC experience for me is FC2 with the Redux mod, and FC3 with Ziggy's mod. If only FC4 was moddable at least to the extent of 3. I love the mountains there, but wish the game had an equivalent of Ziggy's mod to spice up the gameplay. Primal is neat on it's own, though.

ramthegamer likes this.
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Regarding nv issues.. the game has some cfg conflict.

- start the game, while in ingame
    - open options and reset settings; set predefined gfx setting, e.g. ultra
    -apply got back ingame
    -go back to options and set your settings back.

This should get rid of stutter, weird gpu usage drops or in general fps drops.

I remember at one point in the mountain village, i got 70fps, loaded next day and it was barely 50ish fps.. this fix fixed it again and fps was back to normal.
    I think i still had 780gtx back then, didn't play it since, not my type..

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    There is no way to fix the stuttering completely. Engine has it fair of issues. FC4 was the worst so if you think going back to it keep that mind. FC5 was not so bad and new dawn i i think runs smoothest (if you have high clocked cpu)

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    The Mod i mentioned does a great job of bringing some realism to the weapons, to a point. But yeah it shouldn't be hard to implement some decent AI when enemies come under attack.
    Return Fire
    Take Cover
    Return Appropriate Fire
    They are basic contact drills, also deploy a point of fire, if possible with support weapons and use some form of flanking. The mechanics of soldiering in defence and attack are fairly simple once the commander has conducted his assessment and given hasty orders. I think the original FEAR was the last time i saw realistic enemy AI.

13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    FEAR still holds up when it comes to clever enemies. It's actually a combination of clever level design and equally clever scripting, one that I don't think can work in the open environment of FC. FC5's problem is that the hicks aren't even particularly aggressive and aren't really persistent. They abandon chasing you quickly, they "stop seeing you" too easily, and their reactions are fairly slow.

Kolt likes this.
  14. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Yeah, although the mortar fire is pretty accurate even when you have broken line of sight. Belt fed weapons never seem to be used correctly, as an area weapon, just as a more powerful rifle. And how can an arrow defeat body armour that a 7.62mm long cant ha ha ha

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    FC4 & FC5 hates two things:
    1. AMD
    2. More than 16 CPU threads

Just for fun, check the new AMD 3970X, yes I know it's not a gaming processor but it's funny how abysmally bad it runs FC5 New Dawn :D (don't matter if 720p or 1080p btw) compared to other games.

But OnT, I also felt a pretty significant improvement on my 3800X vs my old 6700K but like you say, the stuttering is there to stay.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I've been disappointed about the lack of DX12/Vulkan in all of Ubisoft's released games. They're CPU limited like crazy and had greatly benefited from DX12.

Is there any difference if you're playing on hard or easy?
    It wouldn't surprise me if the dumb AI is a design choice , otherwise many would complain about the game being too hard.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  17. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    In FC5 the only difference on the levels are the enforced side games or parts you have little control over, which is very annoying. An example being at the start where you and your buddy have to escape in the pick up, this part on the hardest level is incredibly difficult, not because it takes skill, rather that its virtually impossible to dispatch the now insanely accurate shooters from a moving vehicle with a weapon that fires rounds incapable of piercing flesh. Increasing the difficulty has zero effect on the AI capability, rather it seems to change hit damage on the player and the amount of enemies.

18. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    It can't be any worse than Crysis. That game runs on like 2 cores lol

19. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    Steam special on the FC series.

20. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    U can t compare crysis to this one now can u...