After ~10 min of playing my games freeze, on GTX260

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cody-7, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Hi all,

I bought a Zotac GTX260 not long ago. Was working great on windows XP.

Recently, I upgraded to Windows 7 and installed most recent drivers. But i noticed a strange problem I started having while playing most games. In games like Far Cry 2, GTA IV, STALKER, etc, the games would freeze after about 5-10 min of playing. It goes to ~1 FPS, and the sound continues running. Then in about 30 seconds the game goes back to normal and I can play.

The thing is, after the first time it happens it hits again in maybe 2 minutes. And then every 2 minutes it freezes for 30 seconds and I can play again.

I have tested my RAM, HDD, and run a program that tests my video memory on my card. All tests came back normal. This also happens on drivers 190.62

What is goin on?

2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i get the same thing with my 5850. I also got the same thing with my previous 260. I think it maybe a power issue.

3. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Hmm... we both have PSUs which deliver more than 600W... my computer rarely uses more than 300 under heaving computing. Mine also has seperate 12V rails. It seems that power is unlikely...

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    my ups says I use 450-500 watts full load. my power bill agrees. I dont think your pc is as power hungry as mine though. considering we have completely different systems but the same issues, I will have to assume the issue is power related because I experience the same issue with 2 different video cards.

if you think about it, your pc uses the most energy when the game first loads and graphics come to the screen.

5. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Alright, well since it happens the fastest when im playing GTAIV, I ran nHancer's hardware monitoring while playing.

When it froze the card's core temp was 75c. After it was done freezing the core temp was the same, and the video memory was still using about 500mb. I thought maybe the drivers were causing the video memory to dump and reload from the hdd (this used to be a gta iv problem with an old version) but it didn't! so it's not a memory management problem

So i am absolutely no closer to finding the solution to this problem!

*EDiT* this is the card I have, and there is not one negative review on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500160

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  6. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Well i underclocked my card by about 20% but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm kinda dumbfounded by this!

7. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Just a thought... What are CPU temps like?

Where you using the same card before you went to windows 7? If so I guess it didn't have the same problem on XP/your previous OS?

8. OneEyedBob

OneEyedBob Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680
    Is your card downclocking, have you tried setting 'Prefer Maximum Performance' in NCP?

9. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    My first thought was a temp issue... I'd focus your investigation there.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    change the power management mode option to PERFORMANCE in the nvidia CP instead of "Adaptive", could be the driver is downclocking your card and back up every so often for some reason.

11. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Well guys, I think i may have figured out the problem

You were right, it was my temps... but not my video card. Turns out my CPU was locking up when it hit 64c while playing games. It makes sense that GTAIV would cause the problem the fastest cause it uses nearly 100% of both cores on my CPU.

This is strange cause it's the first time I've ever had a cpu overheat. I have a good cooler (ZALMAN CNPS 9700) and I've never had a problem. I don't know if my motherboard throttles when my CPU gets this hot, because that's one part i replaced when the problem started happening. It's possible it was getting this hot regularly and my old mobo just didn't throttle?

Anyway, I dusted it out and reapplied some paste and it is barely keeping it from overheating. Do you guys know of any tips for thermal paste that could help me make sure i am doing it right?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  12. Cody-7

Cody-7 Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Is AS5 really a good paste? i have heard mixed results abt it

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its really good. i have it on my cpu and all 4 of my gpu's. as long as you keep it on the cpu you will be fine

14. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    You can go to artic silver website and they have very good instructions on how to apply it correctly if you are unsure. Good luck