1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice With RMA

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Tyler Dalton, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    Hi, a few months ago I posted this thread as I was having problems with my GPU's cooler http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=397021 . I went ahead and RMA'd the card and EVGA did a Cross-Ship RMA. Today I received the replacement card and when I first ran Valley, I noticed lower clocks than usual. My original card would boost to 1137 MHz at stock without any overclock. The new card only hits 1084 MHz. The next thing I noticed was that the new card ran about 5 degrees cooler. I can manually set the overclock to put me back at the stock boost of the old card and appear to have no problems and the card is still 5 degrees cooler.

Now here is where I have the question. I talked to EVGA and was told since it was an issue with the cooler I could swap the cooler off of the new card and put it on my old one since the old one was boosting higher. I'm not sure if I should do that, the new card appears to run cooler even after I set the clock speed back to where the original card was. Maybe the old card could overclock a hair better (never went higher than 1189MHz) but I never really pushed the old card due to temps. What do you, the wise members here, suggest I do?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    For 50MHz~? ... just OC the new one

3. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    Well, was doing some testing and apparently this new card won't even hit 1175MHz without upping the voltage. :/

4. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    Thanks for those of you that read this, I went ahead and put the new cooler on the old card. I just couldn't justify swapping out a card that can do 1189+MHz at 1.15v for one that can't even do 1175 MHz at 1.162v.

5. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Did you happen to check the ASIC quality via GPUz on both GPUs? I am currious of the percent difference between the cards. eVGA has awesome RMA policies especially with their PSUs.

6. Tyler Dalton

Tyler Dalton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    ASIC of my original card is 80%, the replacement card was 61%.

7. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Wow! 61% :3eyes: Just seeing that would of made me switch the cooling even without talking to eVGA before I sent it back. :)