Advice wanted on possible upgrades.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MrH, Nov 26, 2008.

1. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Hiya guys,

I'd like to upgrade my current setup around January(sales) and I'm after some advice on where to best spend my money. Budget will be around £500.

My current system is:

8800 GTS 640
    4GB DDR2 1066 MHZ
    Q6600 @ 3GHZ
    Asus P5K Motherboard
    Vista 64bit

With RAM being so cheap currently I was thinking of getting 8GB of DDR2 1066 MHZ. I was also thinking of an ati 4870 despite being an Nvidia fanboy since the price is just too enticing on a tight budget.

Any help picking out parts to maximize performance and hopefully not cause a huge bottleneck would be great. I'm hoping my motherboard is good enough and I know my PSU is which should save me allot of cash that can be spent elsewhere.

Cheers.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hmmm well 8GB are you going to be using any of it?

anyways yeh the hd4870 is a great card are you going for the 1gb or 512mb?

you could buy a true120 and get your q6600 up to 3.4 or higher

can't realy see anyhing that need a major upgrade.

3. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I'd go for the 1GB version if I was to buy the 4870. The way I see it now my graphics card is the weakest point of my PC.

4. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
    8GB would be too much. Stick to 4 and spend the extra cash on a better VGA

5. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    i agree 8gb would be way too much unless ure gonna need it ie major photoshop video editing etc....stick with some fast 4gig 2X2 :D and put the extra towards something else...more toward vga card or a soundcard better speakers etc etc etc...

im heading toward 6gig but thats only cos i hammer photoshop and also its cheaper for me to get 2x2 than it is 2x1 atm from where i get it from :D

get a tuniq and rag ure Q6600 :D ive got me e7200 running at 3.6 on stock cooler so think u could hit 4 :D i know i can with the right cooler :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  6. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    In my opinion, there is really not that much you can upgrade with that rig unless you move up to i7. As others stated, you could get a better video card... But I think you should ask yourself this:

Are you upgrading because you NEED to?

Or, are you upgrading because you want to and it is more of a psychological need than a performance need?

I am not judging you, but sometimes I think people upgrade because they are addicted to it and in this economy... I think people need to realize when they are doing something (spending money) just for comfort when they could save it, or put it toward something that really is worth the money like an i7 Core chip considering what you have now is considered top of the line. Just my two cents, not trying to be a troll, or hijack your thread...

7. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    You're free to speak your mind.

The reason I want to upgrade is even in WoW which is the main game I play I can't max everything out without having stutters and frame drops, this to me is extremely annoying. Also I'm planning on picking up COD5 and I'd like to play it how it's meant to be played, not on Medium with most of the bells and whistles turned off.

For me I don't see my current PC as top of the line at all, but I wouldn't say it's bad. If I can get away with just upgrading my VGA then that's awesome, more money for something else. I just want honest opinions on the effect it'll have on my PC and if the rest of the parts can keep up to make it a worthwhile purchase.