1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on vga upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bossmonkey, Dec 21, 2011.

1. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    hey everyone. its been awhile since my last upgrade. well other then to SSD's.
    so here's my deal!
    I've currently feel in love with bf3 (who hasn't?) and my current video card is driving me crazy! I use to have 2 4870x2 in CF but one failed and im starting to think the other ones about go as well.. im getting horribly low frames insane stuttering and tearing across the screen, i've tried serveral drivers and caps and nothing seems to be helping.
    SO i come to you nvidia fan boys\girls, to help me out! im not happy at all with amd's driver support as it seems whenever I do a proper upgrade performance just seems to get good or worse..
    now ive been looking into a 560 ti, for some time, seems to be a solid card but I wanted to double check here before hand. I've noticed amd is about to roll out there 7 series cards but i dont know how long I can wait.

thanks for your time!

2. perparker

perparker Active Member

GPU:
    gtx 570
    not being an expert, but i belive sli 570 is reccomended for max settings att 1920x1080.
    I run a single 570 1920x1200, but are on the next highest setting (but im planning to buy a high resulotioun monitor and a extra card to power it)
    But it runs extremly well and no problems att all.

But not to be one of those throtteling maniacs, but going from a 9550@3.8 to a 2500k@4.5 double my fps in bfbc2 (same engine) so if i was you i would upgrade my cpu instead :)

Best bang for the buck is the cheapest 2500k yiu can find, the cheapest z68 bord and memory.Well 8gb 1600 is extremly cheap.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  3. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Well...if you can't wait for the 600 series the 7970 is as fast as you can get right now in terms of single card though I don't consider it much better then a 580 which tells me the 680 or whatever they choose to call it will most likely dust the 7970 if you can wait.....maybe wait an see how the 7950 is and what pricing will be. As far as the gtx 500 series I really have a hard time recommending a 40nm gpu when there is already 28nm radeons out and nvidia ones coming in the next months.

4. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB Nvidia GTX 960M
    The 4870x2 has always had horrid drivers. None of the sets after 10.4 support it any better than that.

If you're planning on upgrading, I'd say go for a 6990 if you can. Obviously the 7970 just came out and probably will have a few driver bugs so I would stick with a GPU that's still fathoms faster than CrossfireX 4807x2s. A 580 will easily be enough if a single 4870x2 does you well when it works right.

5. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    thanks for the advice!
    for some reason I am unable to update my current rig info.
    I have a i7 950 @ 3.05 currently.
    also i forgot to mention that my budget is only 400$ I been looking at the 570gtx.
    I guess since ive had horrible driver experience with my 4870x2 its really made me had AMD lol.
    thanks again!