1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on this speaker set

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by signex, Jun 2, 2016.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    Hello,

I found a nice 5.1 surround setup with a receiver included, the sub seems very powerful.

The guy doesn't ask for a lot, but want to make sure it's on par or even better then my current Altec Lansing ADA995 wich sub is amazing and really don't want to part with it.
    But the sub pops sometimes and i think it might die soon cause they're very very old.

The 5.1 set i'm looking to buy are the JBL SCS 200.5, and the receiver that comes with it seems nice looking but don't know the model yet.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    That JBL set wouldn't be much better than the Altec Lansing, but it would be marginally better...

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    I took the plunge anyway, it sounds super loud when i saw a youtube video of it.

The guys windows of his house were vibrating lol, i can't wait to try them out tomorrow.

I might replace the left/right satellites with these later down the road: http://www.amazon.com/Fluance-SX6-D...dp/B00067OS0A?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0
    Reading some reviews, they apparently are superb and they don't cost that much either.

EDIT: Reading a review, someone said that these are better according to him: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-D...qid=1464887675&sr=8-1&keywords=BIC+Venturi+62
    120 bucks for a pair, jesus that sounds like a freakin steal to me!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    The BIC America speakers look better, the Fluance speakers look a bit cheap.

HOWEVER that said, on the related items at the bottom of the page these came up: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-V...C_UL160_SR93,160_&refRID=0EY14F0D97JJ8NS7G51D
    for $130 free shipping.

Also this one came up: http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-V...C_UL160_SR97,160_&refRID=0EY14F0D97JJ8NS7G51D
    $150 free shipping.

I'd get the $130 speakers ;). I suspect they may... just possibly... be able to go that tad louder than the rear bookshelf speakers you listed lol. The reason for the $130 speakers is one of the customer reviews said it has a bit cleaner of a midrange, but if you want loud the $150 speakers would be more advantageous. That said, it would be more along the lines of a flip of a coin, there's something nice about the 2x8 inch woofers and 2xpassive radiators of the $150 speakers that is more enticing :).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    That's pretty cheap! i'll look into tho's in the future.

So i bought the JBL 5.1 speakerset, but the dvd receiver seems to be broke, theres some crackling/distortion coming from the satellites, tested some old Philips speakers and the same problem.
    I found a cheap Sony receiver: Sony STR-DE675, does 5x 100W and seems to have all the important inputs i need.

Downside with these old receivers is they don't have HDMI wich i don't really need anyway as optical is just fine with DTS/Dolby.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700
    I'm very happy with my current setup, but always a shame that i have to go behind the sub to change volume.

In movies and games i want the bass to be a little less, with music i turn it up around 3/5.
    For a 8inch this thing pounds pretty damn hard. :D

The sub got a ton better after i got my Sony receiver, it's old but looks pretty damn modern.

It almost doubled the power to the sub, as the DVD receiver i first got with it made it sound very weak and muffled.