Advice on the Xfi Prelude.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by TracesofCopper, Jul 8, 2009.

1. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    So I'm considering getting one of these but I wanted some feedback from people that own these cards.

I'm sort of a music geek and heard that the Xfi In general just sucks at music play back?

How are the drivers from Auzentech? Considering these are Creatives drivers what's the difference from the originals?

Last but not least, how does this card sound compared to the likes of the STX or other sound cards?

2. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    I have never used one of the Asus cards, but I am sure its like the rest of the cards using those chips, just better quality sound. So my experience with those chips are, usually they work but they don't offer a lot of extras. However the Asus version has some dolby extras which could be cool.

Now I own a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude, and while I hate creative, this card really is a decent card. There are a few things I don't use on it, which I know other people have problems with. However what I do do a lot on it, is listen to music. I am at the point, even when I play games, I turn down the volume of the game and keep winamp in the back playing music. I literally always have music on, and in this regard this card is great. I could very well do this on a Asus card too, but when I go to a LAN I use headphones and play games with EAX/OpenAL32 in its full glory and then I enjoy this card in that sense too.

The drivers give me little to no problem actually, and I've run this card in both XP64 and Vista64. I haven't tried Win7 yet but I am sure it will work when the official drivers for that OS is released.

Mostly my dissapointment is with the Linux drivers which well has nothing but what you get on every other card.

Some people experience the problem where, the card doesn't remember you turned on +20db on the MIC in, so when you reboot you have to turn that on again.

I hope this helps you a bit.

3. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    People say the X-Fi isn't good for music because they're basing those opinions on Creative's cards.

The Prelude is an original design (except for the X-Fi chip of course). The digital to analog conversion is very good. This is why it sounds better than the other X-Fi cards. The analog section of the card is the key to get good sound. This is what separates the Prelude and Asus cards from the rest.

The actual X-Fi chip gets a bad rap for this when it shouldn't. The signal rate conversion quality is excellent and it has the power for great effects (EAX, CMSS, etc).

From what I understand, the STX sounds better than the Prelude. However, if you want EAX 5, CMSS, etc., you have to go with the X-Fi.

In case you didn't know, CMSS has different modes. The headphone mode is like Dolby Headphone, but they work differently (I prefer CMSS).

CMSS also has a virtual speaker mode that kind of works (simulate surround sound with only 2 speakers).

CMSS will also upmix stereo audio to surround (I think it even does it with CMSS Headphone - I'm not sure though).

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    The thing is STX emulates EAX5 , might not be perfect but it still does. Then Some folks like Dolby headphone over CMSS 3D. Basicy go with what is either cheaper or have the features you want.

Because in Pure audio quailty the STX would be the better choice, But if your pricky about having actual EAX5 and not emulated EAX5 and perfer CMSS3D over Dolby headphone. Then pick the Prelude. Personally I would say the forte instead of the prelude,if you have room for a pci card because it has a headphone amp.

Yea it will if you had the THX controll in the prelude drivers you can do this neat little editign in the THX.ini and turn your speaker directions 90 degrees when your using 2.1 and CMSS. Which I used to do on my AD700 headphones when I had them. IF you choose to use 2.1 and CMS.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009

5. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    on ubuntu 9.04 my xonar runs like babe...i have 7.1 sound on movies and music!!!with some tweaks....hehe i love this babe

6. TracesofCopper

TracesofCopper Member

GPU:
    280GTX WB OC
    Thanks for the replies people. I'm still up In the air on this one though. I could have sworn I heard that Creative was working on a new card that places more emphasis on sound quality Instead of effects, anyone know If this Is true?

I have to say that would be sweet If this does turn out to be true, as Asus has the worst support I've ever dealt with, and the other sound card companies like HT don't yet have a PCIE card.

7. umeng2002

umeng2002 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Based on Creative's history, I doubt it.