Advice on SSD additional storage...

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Pigchild, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Hey guys,
    Can I get some advice before I purchase? I was once very up to date and expert at building great gaming PC's, but over the last 10 years my busy life caused a falling out of my good knowledge regarding some aspects of current hardware. I need SSD advice. My last SSD purchase years ago was an internal Samsung Pro 512Gb SSD for C drive and I got a deal on another 512Gb Kingston SSD I use as a junk trunk.

I need a higher capacity C drive, but I like blazing fast transfer rates so what about these on MOBO PCI slot storage SSD units? I don't know much about them or if they would be good bang for the buck.

Next week my final upgrade to a great Z rated MSI MOBO, Latest gen i7 CPU and DDR4 Ram will be done. (No need to upgrade my 2k Monitor, Seasonic 850w PS, and MSI RTX 2080 super because they are solid.)
    I think I'm going to keep my ATX case also because it's a great Cooler Master Full Tower and I still like it.

I need storage space, but I want blazing fast storage space. What would be best to consider?
    Thanks.

2. How much space do you need? How much money do you have to spend? Those are the relevant questions. All nvme pci-e drives are going to be quite fast, just depends on how much you want to unpocket. A 1 TB samsung 970 pro is going for $350 to $400 dollars. The 2 TB version is about double that price. Sabrent has a 4 TB nvme going for $650 dollars and that is just about the cheapest you will find in that capacity.

3. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    $350 to $400 would be about my max budget. 1 TB on my primary drive would be the sweet spot. Are there any disadvantages to these nvme pci-e drives? Are they as reliable as my current Samsung SSD? My only concern is what if after my MOBO upgrade I later add a second GTX 2080 GPU for SLI? I might not have room for it because these 2 cards are so large it might block any additional PCI-e slot for the nvme.

4. The M.2 slots lay down flat, so that wont be an issue.[​IMG]
    No disadvantages that are not present in any other ssd. Again, reliability is comparable to other ssd drives.