Advice on possible upgrade

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Hi guys.

I'm not sure what to do here and could use some advice.

I've got two things I want to do with my computer, one is building a custom waterloop for CPU+GPU and the other one is going 780Ti (or 880).

The reason why I want to go water cooling is mainly to decrease GPU temps (I'm running my screen at 100Hz at the moment instead of 144Hz which helps a little bit) but also to decrease overall system noise. A custom loop is also something that I keep for several years. Estimated price €550 EUR. A bonus would be that I can OC my card (I run at stock now to make sure the card stays cool) and maybe also the CPU beyond 4.4GHz.

Next is to upgrade my GPU power to meet the graphical requirements of games coming out 2014/2015. The logical upgrade would be another 780Ti (or 880 if it's powerful enough) but I understand that it's pointless to buy a 780Ti before the 880 is released.

Which of above two solutions would you do first?

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    wouldn't it be a better idea to wait for the 880 and see what it brings, and then going for the loop? Would be a shame if you bought a block for the gpu that wouldn't fit the 880, no?

3. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I wouldn't bother upgrading to a 880, it's still 28nm. If prices drop for the 780Ti after the 880 is available slap another one in or wait for Maxwells refresh (GM200/210) with a die shrink.
    Either way I'd wait until after the 880 is released.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Right, how foolish of me, I blame it on Monday ;)

Good thinking.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    gta5 is gonna break 3gb vram at 1080 anyone here in doubt about that?

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Possibly Witcher 3 and The Division too. Maybe even ACU. 3GB is not much these days (especially at 1440p).

7. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    they've started selling in mass the 6gb 780s online, which I like, but the 6000mhz ram speed ain't good if it don't clock well.
    now the uber ram speed of the 880s with 8gb of the finest samsung classified memory ..
    sry went off on one there ..
    will witcher3 /gta5 perhaps others push the 4gb soon?
    scary thought imo, especially at 1080, you'd be called a loon getting a 880 8gb version, :D
    i'd like to see them though, why not if the devs are usin them.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That sounds just like 2011, with 1.5gb being far enough for 1080p gaming, hardly any recommendations to buy 3gb 580s, yet again I'm fairly sure I'd have had problems already if I'd only be with 1.5gb vram...
    Maybe it's just me, but it looks like history is reapeating itself. Especially with (custom?) high res textures and eyecandy I'd rather have 8gb and use 4 than 4 and use 3, personally.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Let's not get carried away, 4GB is enough for 1080p or even 1440p. What will happen later this year no-one knows but 8GB with 256bit is just waste in my eyes. We'll see how that goes with higher resolutions.

10. BUFDUP

BUFDUP Guest

lol well i'm fuked. i use 1440p and 2gb ram lol

Custom water cooling is really good. my gpu temps are in the 35c - 40c range

11. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I was considering going custom loop on my next build, 2gpus plus physx card plus cpu, my only problem is noise though, and temperature, since I wouldn't want the loop and everything to be outside of my case.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Yea, that's why I want it since it both looks nice and is supposed to cool very well. I'm also slightly worried about noise but that comes down to the choice of rad fans and having a good fan controller.

13. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3070Ti
    Im in the same boat as you man, although I game at 1080p on a 55" tv which is great but you do see alot more detail thus a crap ton more aliasing. The only reason I have these 2 cards in SLI is because my gf is a total badass and got me a second card for my birthday haha. Otherwise I would have waited for a stronger mid range card with more vram when the 8xx series dropped.

But so far, I havent had any problems with any games so lets see how long that holds. It also depends on the game too. Ive been playing a slightly older racing game (NFS:Most Wanted) and I can only enable 2x super sampling, 4x makes it crawl (albeit at 45 fps....stutter, stutter, stutter).

14. CronosX9x9X

CronosX9x9X Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI1070 Gaming X
    Hmmmmmm.. I've read allot on that you'll run outta gpu power first on 1080p rather then memory. I know any higher res needs mem.

15. SumLeetNub

SumLeetNub Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 780Ti DirectCU II
    2xSR1 360 rads + 6xScythe Gentle typhoon fans and the loudest thing in my case atm is a 780Ti. The 200mm side fan needs replacing cuz its naff and quite loud..hence it aint on the my case. I thought about a fan controller but there is no need (for me) as it would only be needed to slow down 1 fan.