1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on headsets and what comes with it

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by fantaskarsef, Jul 11, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Hello gurus,

I am planning on getting myself a proper headset to replace my trusty and music capable 2.1 boxes for certain games (like Hellblade for instance).

While money is not the issue here, I still want to buy something that makes sense and works well... I've been living off onboard sound so far and until Hellblade, I never had the feeling of needing something else.

So my question is now, do you have any recommondations on good headsets (possibly with mic although I have one that works fine for me)?

Do I need one to be run via some USB AMP / DAC / whatitscalled to make use of good headphones?

Do I need to uninstall the mainboard sound's drivers if I have one of those external things?

I'm open to suggestions from the best and most costly to the value budget options, it's just I know nothing about that matter at all, and I'd be happy to have somebody point me into the right direction.

Thanks gurus

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Get HD559, get separated mic and call it a day. It will sound more resolving, accurate and have bigger soundstage than any other overpriced headsets out there.

Motherboard is fine for most mid range headphones and not super loud volume.

You have any prefered sound? More or less bass? How much details you want to hear?
    Is it for in-home usage only?

-Tj- and fantaskarsef like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the reply @sverek .

I haven't got a really preferred sound tbh, and I don't that much plan on listening to music on it at home since then mostly I just use my big boxes and have it put the music on when doing chores etc. for which I'm fine. So no preferrences there.
    Details though would be nice as I'd mostly be curious about gaming with the headset, not so much using it on the move. My Sennheiser in-ears have given up after years, I used those to listen to music on my phone mostly, but haven't bothered with that lately.

In regards to the Sennheiser HD559, is it bothersome because it's wireless? I wouldn't want any lag to happen, especially while gaming, and I honestly think that any built in battery is just the sign for planned obscolescence... giving up after two or three years of usage. Any experience with that?

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    hd559 is wired.
    https://en-de.sennheiser.com/around-ear-headphones-stereo-hd-559

You can buy it for around $100 or cheaper.

It’s open headphones, meaning it will sound more natural and have bigger soundstage. Open headphones are bad at isolation and sounds leaks a lot outside of them. As far as you using them in home (preferebly in your room), its fine.

If you want more details, I can recommend HD599, its more resolving, have lesser bass but more clarity.

Anyway, lemme know of you need isolation with headphones or not, it changes selection a lot.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    What about 569 do they have more bass or which ones do?

I've been looking at some more "hq" too, I saw those brown ones 599 once, 2yr old model for discount price, think ~130€, that looked interesting too.

Edit: ah ok so 599 has less bass..

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    When you take closed ones, how does it change the sound of the headphones? Does it make it easier to hear things, or more difficult due to the different sound picture? Do extra features like Dolby whatever pay off, virtual surround etc.? Especially for gaming, since that's what I plan to use them for mostly?

Thanks for your replies guys, have a like for them *throws them around*

-Tj- likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I tried bose comfort noise canceling once, and it makes a bit of a pressure to the ears, takes a bit getting use to, but it completely eliminates any outside sounds.

So I looked around some more and 569 is indeed more bassy and noise canceling too.

559 has range from : 14 – 26000 Hz
    569: 10 – 28000 Hz
    599: 12 – 38500 Hz

I saw 569 locally for 125€, not bad. 559 goes for ~88€

Those extra effects can be enabled on soundcard, I used cmss3d +5.1 in surround, sounded great as overall by games.. old xfi was even better with 7.1 though.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the input TJ.

Does any of you have one of those external sound cards / boxes, or do you both use onboard sound? My mainboard's got the "7.1 (Realtek ALC1150/ASUS SupremeFX), DTS Connect" things, is that sufficient for using good headphones?

-Tj- likes this.
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I connected directly to SB, via hd audio on front of the case, it sounded loud, I used max 20-30% volume anything more and would be too much. Worked on my old pci xfi fatality pro and now on pcie xfi hd.

I think that dolby ddl, dts is only for digital output, so it doesn't really work the same as on speakers, not 100% sure though.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I see. Well I was kind of tempted to get headphones that support those Dolby things, even it's just simulated (no real surround sound, of course!), and wondered if it's worth for hearing footsteps while gaming, or those whispering voices in Hellblade, for instance.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Dolby things are sound decoy that convert surround sound into stereo.

I tried it with my xonar sound card and got bored of it in 1 hour. Basically its fake, since you physically cant convert 5.1 channels into 2 (stereo). It sounds kinda cool, things are literally crazy, but I soon realized i hear just bathroom echo sounds. Its super boomy and inaccurate to be honest.

There are actual gaming headset that has many speakers in single headphone cap(actual 5.1!!), but in reality it just sounds bad. Since you got many low quality speakers trying to play its position.

So by end of the day, nothing beats pure and clean stereo signal.

Open stereo headphones are popular for gaming cause they have “natural surround”, its called soundstage. Thanks to soundstage, you can tell direction of the sound, be it footsteps or anything else.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Thanks for the explaination.

So, all in all, I can try some Sennheiser headphones (mix I got alread), and I don't necessarily need to get an extra soundcard (PCIe or external)?

13. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Don't hurry with a new soundcard or external. Just listen to new headphones with your motherboard sound. If it has issues like "hissing" or sound distortion, you should consider getting a better one.
    You have high-end motherboard, it does come with good prebuild audio, don't waste it.

Basic comparing among HD5xx:

HD559 : open headphones, warm and safe for gaming. By safe I mean no sibilant sound. Old games with poor audio quality won't sound annoying.
    HD569 : closed HD559. You lose soundstage, get isolation.
    HD579 : open headphones, more treble. Not safe for gaming, could have sibilant sound.
    HD599 : open headphones, narrow soundstage, best imaging, but less forgiveness for bad sound. These are basically headphones gateway drug. You will want to hear more things after listening to these. However, poor audio in games will be heard and probably be very annoying. Definitely not recommending it to play older games.

So for sennheiser, HD559 is just safest choice for gaming, unless you into details.
    If you need your gun reload sounds to sound like "TctsChiii" and not just "tsch", and you not replaying much old games, HD599 are the way to go. But keep in mind, those are for details and having too much details is not always the good thing. (cries in dt1990)

So that it for sennheiser. Obviously there other makers...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  14. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you don't want to bother with mic and headphones being separated, get Sennheiser Game One: https://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-headset-game-one

It's basically open quality headphone (HD559) with mic attached to it and design. Cost a bit more, so decide if you want to buy things separately or in this 1 headset.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Can you be even more specific about this sound stage, isolated

Is it in a way it would make surround not so spread or how is that meant?

I'm now at some budget sony for 30€, but they are cheaply made too, plastic frame and overall quality is very questionable..

Something like this, 1class lower.
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/headband-headphones/mdr-zx110nc

They're closed type and I didn't really notice and dead isolated spots, or how do I hear this? Maybe xfi cmss3d helped clear those spots?

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
  17. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    The guys in High End Audiophile thread have been talking about these, I'm looking at getting a pair myself. The Sennheiser HD58x Jubilees only 5000 sets being made from what I read on a review site and they are $150 usd and there saying they sound close to the expensive HD600's wich are $309 usd on Amazon. Anyhow I'm getting a set of the HD58's almost positve ..lol still reading up on some stuff.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Yeah I noticed the GameOne headphones too, as well as the just released HD500 and 600s. Thought the GameOne would be set up specifically for PC gaming somehow. Their price wouldn't scare me tbh, I just doubt that I can really use those headphones to their max with "just" an integrated sound chip on the mainboard, although I don't know much about these things.

@-Tj- I think what Sverek meant is that it sounds like the sound has a bigger stage to be set up, as in, the "noises" sounding as if they came from a bigger space, not just a small one where everything seems close and sounds like the music and sounds is positioned in a bigger area around the listener. Or at least that's how I think it's meant hehe

Yeah... well my personal selection now is probably between the HD559s, the GameOne, and the HD500/600...

Another question more related to long term use, how do these work when wearing glasses, are they uncomfortable? And about the material used, is it better to have artificial leather (which undoubtaly dies after a few years), or just cloth fabric?

-Tj- likes this.
  19. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I use glasses with my HD580 no problem. And the velour cushions can last you if you clean them every so often. You can just rub them together over a sink, or use water and a mild soap, and squeeze dry them on a microfiber towel.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Ah okay thanks for the tip.