Advice on a good GPU that doesnt require an PSU Connector

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by madne$$, Oct 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. madne$$

madne$$ Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5670 512mb
    Hey There guys.

i currently own a "Powercolor HD 4670 1GB"
    so far i have nothing to complain about it does the job.

as Nvidia and Ati bring out new GPU all the time just curious if there are any better Cards out there which dont require a "PSU Connector"

the reason why is because i own a Dell and ive had Dells blown on me before.

Thank you

Madne$$
    x

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Don't really know...Even the 5750 has a 6 pin connector.

3. rone

rone Member Guru

Yee! Bye a notebook. I will do the same. No need to bother with PC stuff. There are plenty notebooks with ATI Mobility Radeon HD4670. Can't play Crysis, but who cares - it's only 2Watt in idle.
    Now seriously, if you are a gamer you will want to have two of these "PSU Connectors", because it means that the card can be overvolted and heavenly overclocked. You know in Crysis every MHz counts, and if your card can make 1000 of them - you are in the game.

4. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    That is helpfull.

But atleast i havent seen any new gcard that doesnt have a power connector. And if your too worried about the psu, cant you replace your current psu to better one? If thats an option funding wise :p

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

5. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    The 5k-series versions of the 4670 aren't out yet, I wouldn't really expect them to be for a few months yet either.

So far the 4670 is the best you can do, on the AMD-side anyway, though the 5750 comes darn close to not requiring an extra connector with it's 86W loaded power-draw.

I suppose we might see a low-power, passively cooled, 5750 at some point when there's been more divergence amongst the offered solutions. Gigabyte seems to be fond of producing such cards, they did a passively cooled 4850 and a low-powered 9800GT IIRC, amongst many other cards of course.

6. rone

rone Member Guru

GeForce GT210 and GeForce GT 220 drain power only through PCI-E, so what? Are they gaming cards - definitely NO.

7. madne$$

madne$$ Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5670 512mb
    hey guys, thanks for your help and advice.
    sorry its taken long to reply back, ive been revising for Foundation Maths since i posted this.

ill keep checking around then net to see if there is a better GPU then the 4670 that doesnt need a PSU.
    also i forgot to mention my Powercolor 4670 doesnt require a PSU Connector.

Thanks Madne$$
    x

8. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    4670 Does not require a power connector as it draws less power than the PCIE slot can provide.