advice needed on overclocking e6400

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by InGen, Jan 24, 2007.

1. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Guys

could you give me some ideas on where to start? please bear in mind im using the stock cooler

thanks

InGen

2. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    lol, yeah, i suggest you start by reading the overclocking stickies.

But in general just set your ram to a 1:1 ratio with you fsb, and just increase the fsb as far as you want. Remember to check temps and perform stress temps as you go, and when you experience any instability just knock up your v-core a tiny amount, and repeat until stability occurs. (Don't go above about 1.55V on stock cooling though, and stop if temps go above about 65C FULL load.)

Your ram and/or mobo will almost certainly hold you back though i'm afraid mate, neither are exactly designed for intensive overclocking. I'd think you'd be hoping for a 320fsb overclock, which would yeild an overall cpu speed of 2.56ghz. Remember to have fun, and good luck mate. :)

3. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    There's a few things you could find by searching in Google. For BIOS settings do these:

PCI Frequency: 100
    PCI Sync (I think it's called that): 33.33
    Spread Spectrum: Disable

Under CPU Config:
    EIST and SpeedStep: Disable

Those settings will help with overclocking. As for what the guy said above. Don't go as high as 1.55V!! Start at 1.35V and see how far the FSB goes on that first! Then slowly creek up FSB and when you hit an error up the voltage by one notch. If you go up more than 2 notchs and you still can reach stability bring your fsb down and your voltage and that's your stable speed for now. You'll probably have to tweek memory and voltages on the northbridge for higher clocks.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  4. Br3tt

Br3tt New Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7600GT-SLI 560/700Mhz
    Hi,
    Obviously my first post but Guru looks like a good site to get on.
    I'm in the same boat as InGen. I've read my mobo dislikes overclocking and has it's limitations. Not sure where to start with it. It has the AI Booster program but i'm not sure how reliable this is. Any ideas?

5. mostwanted

mostwanted Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 7600GT/6600GT XFX AGP
    Dude we have the same system specifications almost.....Well fer a start use the bios to overclock...This is one the best motherboards in the market rite now....U can really push the cpu to the limit...I mean i topped off at 3.6GHz...On a c2d 6400...But i backed down coz the load temp reached around 73C...Start off wid the ai booster setting in the bios set to manual...