advice needed from the guru's!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bossmonkey, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    Hey everyone, know this fall I plan to take computer engineering in college,
    My main problem though is I do not own a laptop,
    And am thinking of investing in a mac book, before you all disown me from this site!
    I just want to say I want to make iphone apps and to get the sdk I must own mac,
    I know it is possible to install it on a pc but its just to much effort for such an os,
    So I was thinking I'd parrelle windows on the mac and also boot up linux!
    I told my friend this idea(who is already in engineering) and he laughed, lol, thought he agreed on the
    Iphone app development,
    So is this a good move? All advice is welcome!
    Thank you,

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    You can just dual boot Windows a long side OSX, its really quite simple now-a-days.

3. TechGURU

TechGURU Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTS 250 OCE 512MB
    yeah most versions of OSX on macs come with bootcamp, don't they? if you can't find built in software means to run two OSes on a hard drive, you can always partition the hard drive and install the separate the OSes respectively, old skool

4. ibitato

ibitato Guest

you can also use vmware ....
    I have it on my Macbook,
    you just boot with osx, and then run vmware; in "unity" mode; that will merge your windows and programs w/ your mac desktop; so yo can use both at the same time as it was the same opertaing system
    It works flawless, i've been worink w/ that for the las year and 1/2........
    the lisence for mac , vmware it's like 30 euros......
    I personally prefer this over dual-boot......
    It's called vmware "fusion"
    check at "Unity view"
    http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/features.html

5. bossmonkey

bossmonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870x2 @stock
    The vmware fuision sounds like a great idea! Thank you all very much, lol now I won't feel like a complete noob in tech class! Lol

6. ibitato

ibitato Guest

get the makbook w/ at least 2 GB RAM;
    also you can change the sticks after y buy it; to go 4GB RAM......
    Keep in mind that y will be needing RAM for all of this..

Although I run 2 GB RAM on my MacBook (Core2Duo, the white one, old model) and I have no probs, there are sometimes that If a I have vmware on, bunch of mac apps running and Eclipse for Java development, etc ....... the systems gets much less responsive......

I would say y need to buy the macbook w/ 4 GB RAM; in apple web site that is going to go expensive as hell; but remember that y can allways buy the sticks over Internet much cheaper and replace them manually.........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009