Advice needed for a new GPU

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Antonidas, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Antonidas

Antonidas New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Hi all,

this is my first post here and I admit in not being an expert in PC components and upgrades, this is why I turned to this forum since it was the one I most scrutinized when needed.

I find myself in the position of wanting to upgrade my PC, aiming mostly for the GPU, this is my PC setup:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 560
    RAM: 6 GB
    Power supply: 750W
    Operating System: Windows 7

I am not a wealthy person so my budget is at most 250 euros :(.

I am planning in buying a new Hard Drive (mine is about 3 years and 1/2 old and I guess it's time for something new) and maybe an extra 4+ gb.

I accept any kind of advice in regards to upgrading.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. nico1981

nico1981 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 670GTX
    in this price tag you can buy Nvidia 770 GTX 4Gb. is a great card!

3. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Don't buy crappy amd. Terrible drivers and ridiculous hot cards. Buy 770 (or 970 for a little more money and huge more performance) 4GB and add another 6 gb ram.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Wow that AMD hate. No reason, too.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/amd-radeon-r9-280x-vs-nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-which-is-fastest

The 280x beats 770.

As for ridiculous hot cards, I have no clue what you're talking about. Either get some proper positive airflow in your case or shut up.

Literally running double cfx 6850's and they have never hit 70 degrees mark. In a stuffed little mini-atx case.

The drivers have been bad at some point back in 2011-2012 but they have changed for the better.

Next time think before you open your silly uneducated mouth.

6. Antonidas

Antonidas New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Thank you,

i have been trying to find out what motherboard I have, to see if it would fit, however in my dxdiag there is no info about it, only "system manufacturer" in the category "system manufacturer!

7. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  8. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Youre mobo shouldnt matter youre already using the gtx 560 the new ones are all backwards compatible, as for youre choices Calculus pretty much summed up your choices cant go wrong with iether but the 280x might be better bang for buck. Personally i would be waiting for the new daddy cores from NV/AMD prices should drop then.

9. Antonidas

Antonidas New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Hi all, thanks for the input,

I have 3x 2gb corsair DDR3 1333MHZ ram

and the CPU-Z was awesome, it helped me with the motherboard.

In regards to the GPU, the link you gave me looks amazing, I found it in Lisbon (where i live now at 298 euro, so a lot out of my maximum price range.

I noticed that within my range I have the R9280, would that one be good as well?

Wanted to post the link of the store, however I still cannot do it due to post restrictions (must have 5 posts)

thank you in advance for the help

P.S. really strange that there is that huge price range price difference!

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    A r9 280 is still a good choice, probably slower or just as fast as the 770 but the 770 would be 50-60 bucks more.

As for the ram I can suggest you this cheap one;
    The Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz Kit, because anything past 8GB is not necessarily needed for gaming.

If you insist on having more i'd suggest the;
    DDR3 4Gb (1x4Gb) 1333mhz Corsair (CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9)

11. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Where are you buying from?

12. Antonidas

Antonidas New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    I am browsing aquapc dot com

13. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 X
    You might want to read the entire article that you linked before you start spouting off...since the conclusion of the article that you linked is that the GTX 770 is the better card..

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    A R9 280X with an aftermarket cooling solution and a bit of an overclock is still better than the GTX 770, but they are fairly close. I favour the R9 280X because I do favour AMD, I admit that :). However, being impartial, I would probably still go the R9 280X as it is a bit cheaper, at least here, than the GTX 770.

15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Get Nvidia GTX 770 card (best if you can afford one GTX 970), it'll work out better than the AMD R9's on the long term.

AMD will just abandon R9's after R10 or the next generation of cards are on the market, because they have been doing this since past 5 years.

I was a prior owner of AMD 4850 (CrossFire), AMD 5850, AMD 6950; in every iteration of AMD cards I had to struggle with the fracking drivers to get it to work properly.

After getting a GTX760 (a bit expensive over the same AMD performance level card), everything was so much less headache to work over with*.

Also with Nvidia, you get DSR (which is awesome and AMD never implemented a downsampler with their driver package_frack them).

16. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Let's see I have pretty much every Flagship from ATI/AMD since the 9800. including a 4870, 5870 and now a 7970 and I can't recall ANY serious driver issues so that was YOUR problem. I can't argue the DSR but then I have no use for that feature anyway.

17. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I won't justify myself because I don't like to contribute myself mentioning anything related to AMD software, AMD sucks in that (****s in that) and that's an absolute.

But I will justify that I just purchased a GTX 760 card some time ago and all it needed was me to plug the card and install the latest drivers; then good to go without any issues.

Edit:And DSR is great (and we never asked for it, but Nvidia gave it and even ported it on Kepler GPU's), on the other hand AMD just lied in the face that they were "Looking into it.." and never worked on it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  18. zais

zais Member Guru

GPU:
    760 ti, 770 or good 2nd 680 gtx

RAM ddr 1600 that oc able to 1866 cl 11 or 10, its evident in games that gives more seamless gameplay

ssd corsair 256/512 lx

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    If my conversion is correct, 250 euros is ~$312.50 USD. If that's the case, you are possibly only a few euros short (50-80?) of getting a gtx 970. (at least they can be had locally for $335 USD shipped).

It's totally worth saving a little more for if you can. Otherwise, I'd go with a gtx770 or gtx760. (I run both amd/nvidia, prefer nvidia)

My girlfriend upgraded from a gtx560 1gb to my old gtx760 2gb and the difference was dramatic, pretty close to doubling her frame-rates in most games. (stock i7-2600k/8gb ram)

20. Antonidas

Antonidas New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970
    Thank you all for the advice,

After thinking about it, i think my priority is a good GPU, the one I will buy I plan on using for quite some time, so I prefer buying something powerful now and keep it for some time instead of making a good upgrade that after 1 year or so will have to be upgraded again.

This considered i will stay with my 6 gig of RAM and my HDD and put some extra money to get the GTX 970.

Thank you again for the advice and I will be sure to learn more abut PC so that i can help others as well.