Advice/help on my first upgrade in over 5 yrs

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pistol44, Jun 20, 2014.

1. leeaids

leeaids Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    I'm loving x79 best decision i made, if your going to get the high end stuff and pay the extra for the platform makes seance to get the 6 core, and the 690 works well with it, very fast

2. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    X79 is great too. But the new 6 and 8 core CPU's coming out will be easily double the price of the 4770k or the 4790k CPU's. Plus that socket is not as compatible with everything else. I'd prefer to NOT spend as much as I'm already looking at spending if possible but have to come to terms that this will hopefully tide me over for another 4-5 yrs if possible. The only part I upgrade every 2 yrs is the GPU.

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    An OCed 4790K (assuming you get a golden chip), should last at least that long. Intel aren't planning on moving off quad core for the mainstream any time soon. Look how long Sandy Bridge lasted. Hell, there are some people still running X58/Nehalem systems here (me included, as a backup).

4. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    Well I just made the purchase. I thought about it too long at the 4790k was sold out within a few hours at Newegg.ca so bought it off TigerDirect.ca and the rest from Newegg.ca. All should arrive next week sometime. I'll do my C:/ cloning this weekend in an attempt to install it over to the new PC next week. I guess work case if it doesn't work well I'll just do a fresh install.

Btw, anyone know if I will have to transfer my Win 8.1 license over to the new build. I'm not sure if I have to uninstall the product key on the old one before porting my C:/ over to the new build.

I was hoping I could take the new SSD, toss it in my old PC temporarily. Transfer the cloned drive onto it. Remove the SSD from the old PC, install it in the new built PC and boot it. Does this make sense?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Honestly, you'd be better off just doing a fresh install.

6. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    But even if I did what about my Win 8.1 license? Won't I have to port it over?

7. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You just type it in... shouldn't be anything to it.

8. pistol44

pistol44 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti (FE)
    That's great news.

Can anyone share the actual cons to NOT doing a fresh install on a new setup. I know the golden rule seems to be it's best to do a clean install. However I'm curious to actually hear some of the reasons why.

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Different hardware you end up with leftover crap like drivers etc. Win 7 and up seem to be a lot more tolerant of hardware changes however.Fresh install eliminates any possible conflicts I know when I went from a Nvidia chipset to an Intel with Win 7 it wouldn't boot just blue screened on me when a lot of guys were having no problems.Even if it works a lot of times it will make you activate again.

10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    No harm in trying and going from an Intel to Intel chipset is pretty straight forward. Things like alignment and OS\SSD specific settings are things to consider.

You will likely have to call MS to reactivate your copy of Windows.

If things don't go smoothly or the way you like, just be prepared to do a fresh install.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Are you serious? Man MS is getting lame as hell...

12. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Done it hundreds of times for legitimate MS software. Its all automated and you rarely have to speak to a person; just be sure to answer "one" when it asks "how many computers is this copy of Windows installed on".

Microsoft Product Activation