Advice for a guy turning 36

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SerotoNiN, Apr 21, 2017.

1. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Apparently, if you don't grow up by the time you're 50 you don't have to. It says so on the Internet so it must be true, wha'? Also, grow a beer belly and let yourself go. F! the system! Who cares?! If somebody shuns you for your appearance, they don't deserve to be your friend. Good luck surviving the next 14 years (I've got less than 4 to go meself). Just don't get a job in a bank or a similar soulless institution and you'll be fine.

2. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks for all of the replies guys!

So, to those saying get healthy...I started that process over a year ago. I was 260lbs - as of this morning I am 194lbs. I'm 6 feet and a quarter inch. Damn it that quarter inch counts! I took up jogging and being physically active. I was an alcoholic for about 7 years. Didn't watch my eating, etc. I'm still dieting, as I want to get to about 180, my BMI still considers me overweight, and I made a promise to myself to at least get to "average" (25.0) which is quite an accomplishment for an American, we tend to get pretty damn fat.

So why is age a bother? Because sober and healthy, I'm mad at myself for wasting 7 years doing stupid stuff. More, my mom died at 41. So the closer I get to that number, the more anxiety I feel.

Based on my screen name, you can see I suffer from depression. I suffer from something called atypical depression and have since 19. It's been a struggle, it's put life on hold many times, which in part began my drinking issues, which is common for people with atypical depression. Drinking gave me an escape from my mental issue, but just created a whole slew of new ones.

I suppose it's better I got in shape, sober and healthy at 35 than never at all or at 65, etc.

I feel like I'm just starting to live again. So the number scares me, because there's a lot I want to do now that I'm not wasting my life in a bar feeling sorry for myself. I will say, at this point at least, I'm fortunate with my looks. Most people guess I'm between 28 and 30. Everyone is slightly taken back when I say, "no...I'll be 36". So I suppose that's good! I credit my genetics.

I appreciate the kind words of advice and take them seriously. Thank you to everyone for replying.

Funny note to end this. My birthday is tomorrow, I know I'm getting old. Why? I spent today installing a new water heater, and was excited about it! Lol. Oye..Adulting...smh.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You will be fine bro!....its called mid life crisis and yes 36 is when it happens!...

36 is when I new I was a Man and nothing could take me down...

dam I looked good back then/ women all over me.

4. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Damn! That must be one sweet water heater! :nerd:

5. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Your two posts leave me...I'm not sure if you're trolling or just being playful lol.

6. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Im being playful, im a fun character.

Well, aging, what can i say. There are two problems that affects every human being and thats aging and death. I would suggest a sane mind in a sane body. Play sports, maintain a good weight, get in touch with nature and just try to enjoy life a bit. Lifes a bitch but there are good things really and the good, small, insignificant things that makes us feel good and smile are what defines what we can call happiness in this miserable world. Oh, and have some grandchildren. We´re basically here to have some grandchildren and have a few drinks along the way. Most importantly, try to have fun experiences in life, we´re here for the jorney after all. I dunno what else to say...

7. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Lol. All good man! I gotta have a kid to have a grandkid, first. That clock is ticking. The girl and I have been together 4 years, just got a house together, but kids ..ugh...that's one thing I won't mind missing the boat on, personally.

8. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Yeah kids are dumb as ****! lol! Be sure you want them because you cant send them back! But, if you want a project to share with your soulmate, kids should be an awesome thing.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Don`t listen advices about life - we all have different lives and experiences.

10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Dont think about it too much...you`ll be 37 before you know it.

11. kaingr

kaingr Member Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    dont....!!!
    heheheh welcome to grandpahood ;-p
    (were almost the same age) The thing is people dont act their age nowdays so youre golden till kingdom come

12. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    numbers are numbers, i mean if you got an rx480 and waited for vega to dish out more fps than what your monitor can handle , then you allready got the best.

13. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Are you sure about that?

14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Selective respect. Some people, regardless of age, are just idiots. I refer to them as humans.

15. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    OP, now that i think about it, age sucks for everyone. Im 27 and im beginning to feel old. I look at kids with their games and innocence with envy. When i was 17 fresh in collegue the future looked bright but then life happens and before you know it your best friends kills himself, you go into a depression and waste several years of your life and then you´re 27, without a collegue degree looking for some crappy job so you can move out of our parents. No girlfriend either. And despite my best efforts to turn around my life for the better, somehow this crappy perfectionist society seems to be telling me that my life is already over. Just the other day i was at the park with a friend doing a walk and having a chat, and he mentioned: it seems just like yesterday that we were playing ball on school and now we´re almost 30. Pretty much everyone i know my age is struggling too. So dont have too much thought into it honestly, nobody is who they wanted to be. Try to enjoy the first coffee in the morning.

16. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti

This is the best advice I've seen. Escpecially the 401k. Put every last penny you can scrape up in there now to give it time to grow.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Depends where you are in life. The only difference I felt between 36 and 37 was that I'm yet again one year closer to 40 which is a point where I should have kids. If I don't have any by that it will be too late.

Other than that, there is no difference. Life isn't any better...or worse for that matter. Visually I obviously look older, have more birth marks and less hair on my head. I'm probably a bit wiser now than I was last year and I'm calmer (meaning no parties and stuff like that). I also enjoy serious conversations about things more than joking around with fart sounds or whatever.

I started working out which made me feel a lot better and a bit more youthful plus made me happier and more open minded. I try to think a little bit about what I eat as well (like not too much sugar). I got a bigger apartment almost two years ago.

I think that when you're 20-25 birthdays don't matter other than being another excuse for having a big party. Later its about becoming a grown up and after that it's about family. Only much later will it be about getting old.

18. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Go watch Hawks in plays offs! oh wait.... :p

I would go buy lottery ticket, call few friends and meet up for beers! Dont plan much, best things happen when we dont plan anything ;)

19. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    hit the gym.

20. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    I was actually happy to see them get swept. They were making it too boring. Dynasties ruin sports with predictability. Like the Patriots in the NFL. :)