Adobes Latest Flash Update Ignores users choice

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by SharpyMerc, Mar 31, 2012.

1. SharpyMerc

SharpyMerc Master Guru

Yep you go and update adobe flash player v.11.2.202.228 it gives you the standard tick boxes for the McAffie crap (pre-ticked of course)

So you un tick and proceed next it offers Automatic updates, inform me when updates are available, and Never check for updates.

I choose the third one never check for updates. great job done. WAIT not so fast whats this it had gone ahead and installed the item in the task scheduler and set itself to run.

oh goodie just what i did'nt want thank you.

beware

already done the update wanna get rid of it:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27062221-Sneaky-Adobe-Flash-Player-Background-Updater

some tips here

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    *sigh*

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Wouldn't mind the Auto Updating as long as they don't release bad updates with leaks :p

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Or bad updates with McAfee included.....

5. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    I didn't get the McAfee option, but they certainly enabled automatic updates without permission. Nothing Autoruns can't sort out in a sec.

6. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    I've always disabled flash when not using it and have been using flash v.11.2.202.228 for about 2 weeks.
    I removed the Adobe Flash Player Update Service all together after I noticed it sneaking off every hour on the hour in the background without asking.
    Updated manually from flash v10.xxxx because I wanted to try a UE3 engine demo in my browser.
    Generally I'm sick of every bit of software that I use wanting to phone home as it pleases and adding services and crap that I'm not asking for.
    Anything I install or update I check before and after I install.
    This goes for nVidia drivers, printer/scanner drivers and any other driver, software or windows components I use.
    I'll update what I want when I want and I don't want any software or drivers taking the liberty of doing it automatically for me!
    I do not care if a company hides behind an Agreement/TOS screen upon install.
    Just because I click yes install it does not mean the company can do as it pleases on my system.

It's bad enough in my real life I have a dog that keeps sneaking out of my yard to to do it's business, I don't need software/drivers exhibiting the same behaviour.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i hate the name "adobe" pls why we cant just switch to HTML5 to get rid of this bs? =/

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Well the Update just poped up when i started Windows. And i just went thru it aswell.

Near the end i got some options about the Auto Update:

1) Auto Update. (Recommended)
    2) Let me know when there are Updates.
    3) Never check for Updates.

I checked option 2. It didn't install any optional McAfee Software as claimed earlier nor it's running anything in the Background. The AdboveFlaskUpdateSrc is in the Services but because i selected options 2 it's set as "Stopped" by the installer.

So nothing wrong people, move along.

9. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Well you didn't check windows task scheduler.
    If you did you'd see that the updater is told to run Every day, Every hour, For 1 day..
    Doesn't matter which option you choose, it still keeps checking online...

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Yep..you have to go in and delete the task.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I have had flash set to auto notify me upon updates since i installed win 7, never had no such problem. nor do I have AdboveFlaskUpdateSrc or a task scheduled for it. so i not sure what you all complaining about. and I been updated flash since that time to.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    So, where is it...?

[​IMG]

EDIT:

Right, i found it. But my Flash Player settings are still the same as i checked in the installer.

As far as i know the updater just checks every hour IF there are updates, if so it will ask you if you want to install them or not. (depending on the settings you selected)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012