1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe Flash HW Acceleration / AMD Overdrive driver bug - who else can reproduce this?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by freibooter, Aug 2, 2013.

1. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    This might help:
    Code:
    PP_DisableUVDPowerContainment
    PP_DisableUVDPowerGating

2. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280X 3GB OC
    Would you mind elaborating on that a tiny bit (considering the fact that I'm and others reading this haven't used AMD in years)?

3. Danny Nissan

Danny Nissan Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4890 1GB
    Hehe, this has been pestering me for years now. Watching twitch.tv while gaming is impossible because UVD will clock down my hd4890 to 500mhz (hd4890 isn't fast to begin with, so gaming with half its set clockspeed is just impossible).

Disabling HW acceleration for flash doesn't change anything. Apart from flashing a custom BIOS (with say..UVD clocks set to 3D clocks) i have yet to find a fix.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Where does this go?

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Registry.

6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    Meh I'm not a fan of sparkling scrambled screens :( anyone test this to see if it actually works? (assuming it goes in the '0000" area in hlkm/software/currentcontrolset/control/video (where the catalyst version and driver version string is).

7. DrunkenDonkey

DrunkenDonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    I'll be the one, just to get back from work (thats good 10 hours from how). If that works, I'm gonna love the cards again :D

8. Atreidin

Atreidin New Member

GPU:
    MSI R7870 Twin Frozr 2GB

This is probably a good route. Have as many people as possible report it, and report it often. Maybe they will get so sick of seeing bug reports that they will actually fix it. :)

9. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    These aren't keys currently present in my registry.

Where exactly would they have to be added, what is their type (boolean, binary, etc.?) what are their possible values and what exactly do they do? Do they actually address this problem?

Has anyone tried these with success or is this just speculation?

Seriously, if there really was a workaround to kill AMD's stupid UVD clocks with little to no side effects this would be invaluable information ... if anyone knows more about this, please, please elaborate.

10. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    All guess: in the path mentioned you should find other PP_ settings like PP_GPUPowerDownEnabled. So create new DWORD value of each and put value 1 in each and restart

11. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    There are some typos in your path, it should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{system-specific-UID}\0000

I guess I'll add them as DWORDs and give it a shot ... nothing much to lose here.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    Added these settings, rebooted my system ...

... nope, nothing.

Whatever they are supposed to do, they don't affect this problem in any way. UVD clocks are still used when playing HW accelerated videos, both clocks are still changed in an undesired and problematic fashion.

EDIT: Tried some alternative possibilities, rebooted some more ... these settings have zero effect on the described problem on my HD 7850.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  13. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    :(
    That ruined my day. Do you have more than one entry, 0000, 0001.. etc? If yes, can you try to do them on all that are ati?

14. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    I have six keys, 0000 to 0005 - they appear to be linked and their content is identical, adding the values to one adds them to all, deleting them from one removes them from all.

So, no, this has no effect for me either way, sorry.

15. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    So, nobody else has any clever ideas on how to override these pesky UVD clocks?

16. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    Bios mod I guess... with memory preset on all profiles for max...

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

That's what I did on my 5570. Don't believe it's possible with 7xxx series though, unless you get the OEM to do it.

18. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    Yeah, there are no working BIOS mods for the HD 7xxx series that I'm aware of. AMD made the conscious effort to prevent modding.

19. DrunkenDonkey

GPU:
    2xPC 290 PCS+
    That's quite a long thread of bios modding, from a glance it looks quite possible, not that easy to do tho.

20. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    It used to be ridiculously easy but with the introduction of various checksums, it's a giant pain in the ass to say the least and rather risky and doesn't work on all cards.

And I haven't seen any comparable efforts for the more affordable cards of the 7xxx series.

Either way, that's a pretty crappy way to only somewhat work around a bug that shouldn't be there in the first place.