1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding more Memory then supported

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Frag-master, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    Hi,

Been reading alot posts about the Shuttle XPC pc's and seems alot people have been able to use more ram then they say they actually support.

I have a shuttle sx58h7 which on site says supports 16gb ram which i currently have installed 4x4gb.

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/models/sx58h7.html

Due to running many vmware machines on this shuttle there is a need for more ram and its hitting the limit.

so i wanted to add 2x8gb aswell with 2x4gb to give 24gb ram.

Anyone had experience or tried more ram with this XPC motherboard ?

Thanks alot

Specs on the left hand side <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Usually your PC either will not boot or will not use whole amount of RAM.

3. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The X58 platform supports more than 16GB of RAM (the official limit is 24GB), but it might depend on your motherboard. I don't know which one Shuttle equipped your machine with, but you might want to do a quick check on it to see if it'll work. There are a number of sites that claim some can go over even 24, while others flat out refuse to boot. Unfortunately, you might have to do a little trial and error. I personally had 18GB of RAM on an ASUS X58 Gene 3 with 3X4 + 3X2 previously.

4. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC

thanks for your comment, So seems i may just have to ask a friend to test there ddr3 in my system and see what happens :)

5. dmitrice

dmitrice Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    I gave my x58 rig to my brother. The memory maxes out at 24gb(6x4gb) without any issues.

6. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    It does what it is designed to do. The Shuttle XPC specifically only has 4 memory modules so you would have to use 6GB modules (which dont exist) or 8GB modules in 3 of the slots to get 24GB, which in theory can be done but its all down to the motherboard you have.

See this thread where a guy managed to get 48GB to work on an X58 rig even though they are only "supportive" of memory upto 24GB.

http://wp.xin.at/archives/880

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 270X GTX970
    ^^^ there is no 6GB RAM sticks afaik

OP, there is no guarantee that mobo inside that Shuttle barebone can work with 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks. If you can borrow from some friend 2x 8GB DDR3 stick with specs simmilar to those you're using and try 24GB combination: 2x 8GB DDR3 + 2x 4GB DDR3, you have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario is that mobo wouldn't post with 8GB RAM's and that's it.

When x58 platform was popular iirc 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks were just in prototype phase, that's whay most of X58 mobo manufacturers are not mentioning 8GB RAM sticks on memory compatibility lists: in X58 era even mobo manufacturers didn't have 8GB RAM's to test compatibility.

Better suggestion, take that Shuttle barebone to some local IT shop and ask if you can test it's compatibility with few 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks they have on stock atm. Burn bootable CD with Memtset86+ V5.01 (or PassMark Memtest86 V6.0.0) and if that Shuttle mobo POST's with 8GB sticks do some tests with Memtest, 10 minutes with all active cores should be fine. First try 24GB combination 2x 8GB + 2x 4GB and if it passes try 4x 8GB combination.

Wish you luck!

8. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Thanks for that, silly mistake on my part.

Is it not possible to use 8GB modules and allocate a memory hole in the BIOS, to prevent it from freezing or actually allow it to boot up?

9. Frag-master

Frag-master Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    Thanks for the recent post, Managed to get couple 2x8gb sticks cheap.. so going to see what happens. Worse case i will resell them.

thanks for the help guys.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015