ADATA XPG STORM RGB M.2 2280 add-on Gets An Actively Cooled Heatsink

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. I am noticing that ssd cooling is becoming more and more of a consideration.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Guessing those high speed GB/s M.2 chips can get a bit hot, space tends to be a bit cramped depending on motherboard model though so it's interesting to see something that isn't a thin piece of copper though a heatsink probably helps a bit too on it's own. :)
    Not too sure about how hot the newer models can get either or if they throttle down or have some other means to prevent problems.

Probably depends a lot on the architecture of the SSD and how much voltage it requires plus the size of the chip and all that. A lot of reading up to do whenever I do the next full system upgrade as it seems M.2's have the advantage for now until a newer SATA connection becomes available. Well whenever that might happen, PCIE-4, USB 3.2 and DDR5 are all planned - though it'll take time for actual hardware using these specs to become available of course. - but I haven't heard much recently about SATA4 but I might just have missed it too.

EDIT: Guessing this design isn't blower but rather sucker(?) sending hot air out from the casing/heatsink and well into the rest of the case and straight into the GPU? Not really sure if that's ideal design but I guess testing will see how this works.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Give me a waterblock to put on such a SSD and get it over with.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Seems to exist as well, less bulky than I would have believed too after doing a quick "M.2 waterblock" Google search, neat. :)
    (And maybe a little bit overkill but eh if you're looping all the other major hardware into water cooling might as well get that one too. :D )