Activision Patents Accused of hurting your K/D

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Eastcoasthandle, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Ok folks it's a lot of information. But the truth is I believe this is going on. With the game altering your aim in combination with SBMM is alleged to hurt skilled players.

Edit:
    Newest Patent: December 3, 2020
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...AND+Multiplayer&RS=Activision+AND+Multiplayer

Older Patent from 2019
    http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...G01&s1=Activision&OS=Activision&RS=Activision

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super G
    Sounds like rubberbanding in racing games to me, just with players in pvp.

In theory they could slightly change your speed, the precision and damage of your weapon without you noticing it.

But would they do it? Would they risk the major uproar if this would ever come out? Not sure.

3. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    This is:

a) insane -- in the sense of both definitions helpfully provided by Google -- https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=definition+of+insane
    b) shows how utterly out of touch the company is

The above, if implemented, would homogenise players. It would flatten the curve, make everyone the same, in an attempt to provide a 'pleasing' experience -- instead of letting less skilled players improve their skill by, well, playing and getting better of their own accord, their own abilities. It reeks of ill-conceived, corporatised stupidity.

Unfortunately, the prevalence of consoles and an apparent desire for cross-platform play requires a subset of this to some extent: console controllers are crap for FPS. All FPS games that support console controllers already do some level of auto-aim for players, because without it they would get decimated. If you play FPS games with a controller and think you're good, sorry if this is news to you :) What's unfortunate about the above is the degree to which such a system would apply to all players and as a function of skill level.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    If it's true, they are effectively shooting themselves in the foot. I wonder how long it will be fun to play, if your experience remains the same. You don't have matches when you things are going your way, because everyone is equally skilled. Although, typically unskilled players are bad at more things than just aiming, like positioning and awareness.

5. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The problem is that this has been said for about a year now. And, it's finally gaining some traction. There are posts on reddit that have talked about this for sometime now.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarf..._design_proof_of_sbmm_and_how_its_even_worse/

Another problem is that how SBMM appears to work is that those who have a K/D less then 1.2 (or there abouts) will probably not know what you are talking about. This is my personal experience as the game seem to play find until I got over 1.1 k/d or so. Then things became much worst. It's a combo of SBMM (sweater lobbies), hit registration not working, kills streaks that don't work on certain people and difficulty getting your cross hair on an opponent. Which seems to all happen simultaneously.

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    cerebus23 likes this.
  7. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

8. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

His ping shoots up from 42ms to 67ms. Just before he slides towards his opponent. And that's all it takes to mess you up. A 25ms ping difference.

HellSpawn2097 likes this.
  9. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    This happens to me and my mate a lot.

10. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Eh, as I've said before, if that hing really works as they show in the videos, then Activision is shooting themselves in the foot. If you can't have a great game from time to time you're not going to be entertained for long and having to die from a lag I would foremost get frustrated with Activision, since it's the problem on their side. Although, I'm interested if it exists in other games too. E.g. Overwatch is also under Activision, but I didn't see any complaint there, why?

11. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    GTAO has done it since day one only difference is that they stick an option in race servers which is set to 'on' by default.

My understanding of how this tactic worked in the past was that the guy in the lead of a race would have no difference to his vehicle, with buffs being given to loosing vehicles which would then be removed when they came within spitting distance of the leader. The good thing about this tactic is that a skilled player, who is able to perform lap after lap without mistake and at their max capability wouldn't loose the race, which strictly should be the way. In GTAO the catchup system punishes only the guy in the lead to the extent that you can literally d*ck around at the back of the field for half a race and still come through and win. The guys at the back don;t get better and the guys who are genuinely good just get punished for being legitimately good. It's a problem that is all to apparent in modern gaming and the real and core reason is to drive game engagement.

If you're sh*t at a game you practised and got better or manned up admitted you were cr*p and moved on. Now it seems you can't risk having someone actually get better through skill and ability. With so many games using live service paid content models it seems the best course of action is to buff new players when you first start the game, give the false sense of hope that you're actually good at the game and hope that the player then sticks around long enough for them to start buying stuff, once stats on the player show that they are getting better slowly remove the buffs as you now have the one more hit thing going and when the stats show that the player is genuinely better than others start debuffing them because let's face it nothing turns players away quicker than bieng owned by the same folk over and over game after game.

It's an over simplified description, but it flatly comes down to making sure that as many players continue to play your game with the view being the more they player the longer they play the more chance their is that they will go on and spend cash on in game stuff. Games have long since moved past the prospect of letting the guy who is simply better and more practised be the winner and moved in to this realm of make everyone as equal as they can because they will want to play longer if they think they are as good as everyone else.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    You actually believe that crap? Lol

That's all hogwash.

That's a ping spike, not a deliberately caused one either.

I'm a top tier player in cold war and have never once seen what I just saw.
    He got two kills, then the game decided to nerf him?
    Ok.. lol

Noisiv likes this.
  14. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    With the information provided
    SBMM effective pin in CW
    Patents filed by Activision
    Experience by me and others posted
    Etc.
    I actually do, far more then this "one liner", attention seeking, crap you posted.
    Ha!
    :D

HellSpawn2097 likes this.
  15. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    This morning again this sh*tsystem.
    A few player I could just not hit, 2-3 hitmarkers from medium range.
    They need to nerf ADS crouching speed, player almost dash across the map.
    And, oh yeah, LOTS of campers.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.

16. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    -Hit Rego Problems: Bullets have little effect on a combatant. You shoot, you see the bullets hit. It shows the X on your cross-hair. You even hair the hit market sound effect but does less damage. Personally I don't believe it does 0 damage. It simply does far less damage per shot then it should. Lets say that a bullet from a particular gun does 30 per shot. When this happens it only does 8 or 9 per shot or something like that. Requiring you to fire more of them which causes you to loose the one on one.

Skip to 13:55 at 16:09 he shows it in slow motion. As you can see his bullets don't register. At 17:21 you see the patent forces him to look away from the target.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Meanwhile me, still putting hours of gameplay in OG COD4 without this problem.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    holy ***

the length people would go to explain why they suck at gaming

Agent-A01 likes this.
  19. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    One liner attention speaking... Right.

That's what all the noobs say when they get 'rekt'..
    Lol :rolleyes:

I've been playing COD for a long time and I would notice such a thing.
    I typically have >3.0 KD average I've not been nerfed.

This.
    SBMM might be annoying but the fact that people will go as far as posting online to others that they suck is beyond me.

Nobody cares what your KD is, it's a game.

Noisiv likes this.
  20. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT

Start at 13:56. At 16:09 he shows it in slow motion. As you can see his bullets don't register. At 17:21 you see the patent forces him to look away from the target.
    The important part of this is there were no server error related icons to indicate packet loss, etc. If it were just packet loss or a ping spike an icon would have appeared in the lower left side of the screen.

Here is a perfect example of this patent in full effect. As you can tell by Dr. Disrep. reaction he cannot believe what happened. As you can see he clearly should have won that engagement. Someone climbing up a ladder will always lose the gun fight to a decent - skill player - just waiting for you. Yet as you see, as he was told, his aim was swaying left/right from target and his bullets weren't registering. Both of those are the best example of Activision Patent working in real time in a multiplayer, online game.

Here is another example. Again, no packet loss or ping spike icon to indicate a server/internet communication problem. But yet we are seeing the same thing again (but done differently). This time you can see the ping spike around 0:50 mark just before he engages the enemy. But there is no indicator present. That's because there isn't a problem with his connection. But the algorithm interfering with the game overriding the communication trigger to let you know there is some sort of communication problem. Because the algorithm is causing it. He is not having an "issue" communicating with the server.

[​IMG]
    Look at the score so far. As you can see 8thoughts was already on a team that was curb stomping the other team. As his best teammate had a 7.00 k/d (7 kills, 0 deaths). The algorithm kicked in to "level the playing field" by improvising hit registration/ping. But the important part of this is that the algorithm is effecting the entire team. Not just the player who is doing well. Had there been no algorithm his entire team should have been above 2.0 k/d while the other team would have a negative k/d. Perhaps causing some to rage quite. However, that is Activision's fault for placing those group of people together into teams like that.

So in these 2 videos the algorithm can effect:
    -Ping
    -Aim
    -Hit Registration

All in real time. It's not limited to using just ping. It's not limited to just hit registration. It's not limited to swaying your aim. But a combination of any and all of these. And it's not limited to just that. It can cause you to move slower too, etc.

And Dr. Disrespect reaction to it when it happens is the typical reaction when it happens too. When it happens to you when you know you have the advantage you will also say, "WTH just happened!!!"