Acer XB270HAbprz 27 inch Gaming Monitor Has G-sync

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Acer is to lauch a 27 inch Gaming Monitor with G-sync. The XB270HAbprz (blimey that name!). It uses a 1920 x 1080 panel that has a fast 1ms G2G response time and 144 Hz refresh rate support. Import...

Acer XB270HAbprz 27 inch Gaming Monitor Has G-sync

2. Someone make a 1080p IPS Gsync already damnit!

Elimination of screen tearing is much more of a benefit at 60fps than at 120+fps.

And not everyone has the money to blow on high speed monitors.

Yes the Gsync component might cost more than the monitor itself. Blame it on Nvidia.

3. Lowice

Lowice Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 980ti OC
    Don't get this...Does it have G-sync or does it only support the G-sync modul??

Acer is to lauch a 27 inch Gaming Monitor with G-sync. The XB270HAbprz (blimey that name!). It uses a 1920 x 1080 panel that has a fast 1ms G2G response time and 144 Hz refresh rate support. Importantly this screen also supports NVIDIA's G-sync module.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually, i was ask me the same reading the article..

Anyway, bravo Acer for the name, i think they beat anyone on it.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Don't buy this. 1080p on a 27 inch monitor can't be pretty.

6. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    Does a non Gsync version of this exist? perhaps that it what they mean by the ability to support the module.

Much like Asus screen which current owners can upgrade to gsync.

7. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Lego Block Pixels ?

8. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    0.o i'm using a 27" 1080p monitor (Asus VE278Q), and it looks just fine.

Probably won't be done. Why? Because i'm pretty sure the vast majority of gamers would prefer a higher refresh rate and faster response time over better color reproduction and lower refresh rates/response times.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  9. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    Why not? I hope you don't think you can see pixels at 1080p.. As I type this I am on a 1080p 42 inch screen and its beautiful for gaming.

10. So you imply that the vast majority of gamers actually use or can afford to get those high speed gaming monitors? Might as well have the monitor industry stop producing 60Hz screens.

Even if I were indifferent to refresh rate and color quality, I would still mind the cost.

Probably the only barrier to having Gsync on IPS monitors (if it is a barrier at all) would be the fact that the Gsync module at $200 could easily cost more than the monitor itself. You know who to blame for that.

Regardless I will be waiting for monitors supporting Adaptive Sync or FreeSync. No running away with that one.

11. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I can't imagine there being no price hike on Adaptive Sync/FreeSync monitors as well. Kinda like one article that i just recently read mentions:

http://techreport.com/news/26919/freesync-monitors-will-sample-next-month-start-selling-next-year

And when they say that the guy AT AMD expects entry-level models to start out at 24hz.... yea.... good luck with manufacturers not running away with prices.

As for what i said about what gamers would prefer... i didn't mean it the way you implied. Yes, if someone has the money, they're going to go for the best monitor they can get.... that being 120-144hz and probably with G-Sync. If that's out of their budget, the next thing they'd probably consider would be dropping G-Sync, and looking for a high refresh rate, with potentially a smaller display size. If that's still out of their budget, 60hz would be the next step down, and they'd then probably look more towards the response time.... which we all know IPS isn't really the king of.

I'm just saying that color reproduction isn't really at the top of the list of requirements of gamers looking for a high-end monitor.... and display manufacturers know that.

12. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Another 1080p monitor? Would of better being at least 2k.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    He's honest to say that, its not them who will decide the price for it, so he cant fix the price for brands.

Actually, well we dont know for prices, time will tell what brand will do, but monitor prices will not forcibly be drive by this, i dont know if you have seen, but prices are going down for non 4k monitors and even 4K monitors are now enter the market at the 27" 1440p price, you cant forcibly add a tons of money for one feature, specially if it cost nearly nothing, because your direct competitor will get all the latency to beat you on price with same or more features...

Maybe first models will get a "premium" charge, but i seriously expect to see this DP standard become a real standard features for TV and monitors. whatever if it will be with 1.3-1.4 DP... I will not be too surprised to see other connections standard ( like Thunderbolt or the equivalent of AMD) suddenly using the same concept, if not for adaptative refresh rate, for lower power consumption.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'm on another forum where most users seem to agree upon that 1080p is best on up to 24 inch. But I guess we're all different.

I checked out a 27 inch 1080p monitor a month ago and found the image to be too blocky.

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    The article forgot to mention one important factor: Like the ASUS ROG SWIFT monitor, this Acer monitor has an 8-bit TN panel as opposed to other TN monitors who only have 6-bit panels with dithering.

16. ElementalDragon

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    True... there are more affordable 4k monitors now. But you also have to look at something else. I've yet to see a reasonably priced 4K monitor that can actually DO 4K at 60hz. Every one i've seen, in the budget end of the spectrum, uses a panel that's capable of hitting that 4K resolution, but at only 30hz.... which is kind of a buzzkill for the vast majority of people.

Which could turn into exactly what the dude at AMD said.... starting out with monitors supporting FreeSync, quite possibly at a decent price, but also quite possibly with a sub-60hz refresh rate to make up for "costs" imposed by the manufacturer.

Well... of course the best screen size for any given resolution would be the lowest screen size that a specific resolution comes in. That results in a higher PPI count.

As for "checking out" a 27" 1080p monitor.... where did you do so? I never trust display quality at stores and such, ESPECIALLY if it's like Best Buy with their "Wall-o-Monitors" which you know damn well are probably all connected to the same system or small group of systems or something along those lines. Nothing blocky at all with my monitor.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Your sir, must have some alien-like eye sight to see "blocky" images on a 27" 1080p screen.

I use a 22" 1080p screen and it looks perfect. I also go round my friends house who has a 55" 1080p 3D panasonic plasma and that also looks gorgeous.

Not quite sure what you have been looking at, you sure you wasn't checking out "HD READY" monitors that are actually 1080i or 720p lol :p

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    It sounds like you might need an eye test!

19. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ...why do people keep stating 2K, 2K means nothing, or everything, and anything, depending on what you mean by 2K

For instance, i could read your post as saying "Another 1080p monitor? Would of better being at least 1080p." since 2K can refer to 1080p....

2K isn't a resolution, but a definition of a realm of resolutions. At least with 4K and monitors everyone knows it means 3840x2160, but in regards to 2K, it's not marketed as 2K. What you likely mean is 1440p, which is marketed as 1440p...

I agree...a 55" 1080p tv is not a good resolution for a TV, 4K resolution starts really showing at 55" and above, but even as far down as 46. And as a monitor? 1080p is HORRIBLE for a 55", 27" 1080p monitor is cutting it close, 32" 1080p is pretty much as far as it can be taken before it's no longer suitable for a monitor at all. Note: i did not say not suitable as a TV, i said not suitable for a monitor, of which you are much, much closer to.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  20. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Guest

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    Hi,
    This monitor just showed up in the nearby store and I'm gonna buy this next week. I was thinking about it for quite a while because it is a lot of money for me... I hope G-SYNC is worth it. I am not interested in 3D and I will not use it. 1920x1080 is optimal for me, as I think that higher resolution would be too much for my GTX, and even if I upgrade my GTX, then shortly there will be newer (more demanding) version of my favorite title and I will have slower FPS again :) . I do not see "pixels" on 27'' 1920x1080 displays, so this should not be a problem. At first I wanted to wait for other models/manufacturers, but it looks that in the nearest future it will be the less expensive choice. I will post my opinion after I hopefully get this monitor and after I test it.
    Juliusz