Acer Hit by Ransomware - Hackers Want $50M

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Acer fell victim to the REvil ransomware group responsible for the attack of several other companies over the past months, reported Bleeping Computer. The attackers are demanding $50 million from the ...

Acer Hit by Ransomware - Hackers Want $50M

2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    crime rate is through the roof cause of bitcoin

Neo Cyrus likes this.
  3. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    As things are going, your best practice as a company is having the sensible stuff on a private internal network not connected to the internet.
    When you want to exchange information, do it through a private channel: even if it's compromised, not everything will be.

4. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Yes, 100% - We have never had crime before Bitcoin was invented! All them Scams that have never gone on before. Shame on Bitcoin...

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    not what said.I said the number of such attacks is up.

6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    I think the cibercrime has existed since the early days, in the same amount, the thing is that now it have much more visibility. We could think that criptos has helped it, but criminals has been able to "clean" old dirty dolars through bank accounts since the old days.

7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    I do not see any relationship between the 2 things.

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Criminals WERE able to "wash" money through various schemes, but it's not so easy anymore due to ... computers.

In the pre-computer age money was just paper money or records on paper. There was very little tracing of where it's coming and where it's going, so swapping criminally obtained money for legally obtained money was pretty easy.
    Not so much in the computer age where every transaction can be recorded and traced.

Here comes crypto ... the new golden age of crime, with "money" that can be easily hidden by simply "trading" it on a shady marketplace.

Who's guilty for allowing this to happen ? Everyone that's ever "bought" crypto by putting in their old style money in shady crypto marketplaces.
    It's just a question of time until governments have had enough of this mess and completely shut those marketplaces down. When official money of countries cannot be traded for crypto anymore, crypto will return to its inherent "value", which is precisely 0.

0blivious likes this.
  9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Ouch, 50 mil of fake money.

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Bitcoin, eth and other cryptos can be traceable by law enforcement. Only a couple of the rarer ones (monero, zcash) which use more sophisticated concealment measures are not as of yet.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What "mess" governments have had enough of are you referring to?

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Yeah let's pretend Bitcoin didn't incentivize criminals a thousand times over versus prior to it existing. Let's pretend we all have brain damage.

0blivious and wavetrex like this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Acer, as a big tech name hasn't implemented a high end backup replication system able to withstand this kind of attack?

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Someone at Acer clicked a dodgy link inside an email, bit of a fail :)

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Someone at acer took a large bribe by the hackers....

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Noooo... you don't say.

But I read on Guru3d forums that it's Bitcoin's fault because.... it "incentivize criminals a thousand times over versus prior to it existing".

Crime is up 100,000 %

Here I was minding my private business. But as soon as Bitcoin came along, I became a career criminal LOL

If you think bitcoins makes a career criminal's life easier, wait till you hear about cell phones and cars and... electricity and internet :eek:

17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Is that how these people operate these days? I had a ransomware attack once at work, one of the staff clicked on a link inside an email. The email and it's content looked super dodgy to me from minute one but he was a bit of a n00b so he clicked it.

But I guess it's easier these days to give someone a backhander to get inside.

18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Crypto to be blamed?
    Seriously, if this is an axiom, prove it.
    Explain it like I'm 5. Maybe I'll be surprised.
    I am waiting.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    It provides a way to steal without leaving a trail. They'll want that $50M in some form of crypto, guaranteed. They'd be caught no problem if they wanted the funds in a traditional method, and therefore wouldn't have the balls to try it. Crypto is what empowers them to do this BS.

This is one of the big reasons why most of us want crypto outlawed, it's empowered criminals way too much. That and polluting the earth at an insane rate.

wavetrex likes this.
  20. Renincuente

Renincuente New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 2070
    Good points but let me rectify: Most of us want crypto outlawed because we cannot get the good video cards to play games, and after that, just as you said: because of the criminal stuff and earth pollution