According to an Intel contest, its top-of-the-line Arc GPU will cost about $ 800

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's take it with some grains of salt.
    Whatever price is announced now, it could be lowered.
    Nonetheless, what matters most are realistic performance and benchmark results.
    Even so, those results can and will be improved by updated drivers and some tweaks.
    It's early days to even consider an opinion.
    Knowing the price beforehand is always a negative decision factor.
    It's a known fact in marketing, it's harder to convince a possible client to buy something who was given the price first, then given him what exactly the client receives for that amount of money.
    Usually it's backwards, you build up your speech, explain strong points, weak points with solutions and at the punch line price is named.

Alas, this is the internet, people want to know everything beforehand, but sometimes this makes more harm than good. And people seem to like to fight over details of something unreleased and without real life tests.

Good or bad, we need competition, in these days. The market will shift and settle, we will see.
    As many times before stated, let's wait and see.

3. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    I just want to know if it will be a viable alternative to the Big 2.

abdulhkeem likes this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    When evaluating a graphics card's price in 2021, and by the looks of it in 2022, the essential thing is its value to the miners. Can miners still make profit after paying the price? That's all that matters. Nobody in the industry is currently counting on gamers.

schmidtbag and Aztec2Step like this.

5. Devid

Devid Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Let's say goodbye to the 'cheap' graphic cards once for all...

6. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I don't know about you, but I don't want my graphics card to arc.

Kaarme and Aztec2Step like this.
  7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    Yeah :( stupid mining. Worst thing to happen maybe ever.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I wont touch it before its been in 1000s of users hands for several weeks or months to at least get an indication of how good driver support is.

Embra likes this.
  9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    They calling them ARC?

I wonder does Sony know about that - their premium projector lens is called ARC-F for a long time.

Not sure, maybe with copyright, it doesn't matter if it means two different things?

http://www.sonypremiumhome.com/projectors/VPL-VW995ES.php

Corner-to-corner sharpness with the ARC-F lens
    For pristine image quality across the entire screen, the VPL-VW995ES features an All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens. This large-aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low-dispersion (ELD) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the image for a clear and vivid image wherever you look.

10. Kool64

Kool64 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    If these are the prices then yes it will be at least 3070 level.

12. StevieSleep

StevieSleep Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    There are plenty of reason to be salty already.
    A low price would have managed expectations but at 800 if it's not substantially better than a 3080 it's a dud.
    We can't expect good RT support, or good driver support, or for it to work well with most games, or anything really. It's a new addition to intel's roster so we should expect nothing from the start.

I don't expect their highest end card to deliver on the promise it's price tag makes for it, but we can at least hope that the other models offer some reasonable amount of bang for the buck.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Intel isn't stupid - they wouldn't sell a GPU with 3070Ti performance for a $800 MSRP and think gamers will be fine with it. So we can extrapolate the following:
    A. The rumor is false and it won't be sold for that much.
    B. The performance of the flagship will be much better than a 3070Ti.
    C. Intel knows these GPUs will all sell out anyway, so they might as well maximize their profits.
    EDIT:
    D. This is a workstation or server GPU and not a gaming GPU.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  14. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    There couldn't have been a better time for Intel to enter the market. Not only are prices up, making a product more valuable than it should be, but if Intel's new card mines well, it will automatically sell. If things were normal, Intel would need to convince gamers, which is pretty difficult, but now Intel only needs to present very simple numbers (although I doubt Intel itself will present them), and if they are satisfactory, miners will buy the cards. The drivers only need to be stable enough to run the mining software on relatively clean OS installations, which ought to be a lot easier than running myriad different games, old and new, without visible errors.

JamesSneed and schmidtbag like this.
  15. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Contrary, Crypto market is very soon (few months) reaching its 4 year cycle top. After that... there will be LOTS of cards to buy. 2nd hand indeed. But even if for any reason 2nd hand is a no go for you, the 1st hand cards will HAVE to react to 2 things:
    SHARP drop of demand from miners.
    Drastic increase of used GFX cards on the 2nd hand market.

They can stick their cards where it does not shine, if they keep the prices, because there will be 100000s of used cards for a budged available.

16. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    800$ plus scalper tax, cheap!

17. Cplifj

Cplifj Member Guru

GPU:
    290X
    so , less silicon is more dollars......right, right, oh i'm sure their R&D needs money just as their CEO's. Talk more BS then big tech.

18. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree. Intel needed a little luck considering all things. I really hope they are successful as we need more competitors in the GPU space. If we have three players I can see open standards being pushed a lot more. No way devs want to code something different for three GPU makers. Nividas proprietary stuff will eventually die off. This will help the entire industry.