AC2 and Splinter Cell Conviction problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by blesner, Apr 30, 2010.

1. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I use an i7 and decided to check out AC2 and it runs like garbage. I've never seen a game with so much screen tearing, it must have set up a new record. The jagged edges are beyond anything I could have expected.

So using V-Sync and AA which I almost never do for games, I'm still getting around 40 FPS. But these 40 FPS are the most sluggish I've encountered, I feel like I'm playing with 5 FPS. I think there is continuous, constant dips in FPS.

And reading forums, seems this is not a driver issue, or an Nvidia/ATi issue. It's just a new record for awful console port.

Ubisoft doesn't seem to care at all about PC gamers anymore.

2. DXX

DXX Master Guru

GPU:
    HD5850CF
    I run it all maxed with 8xAA on 1920x1080.I get constant 60fps and sometimes it dips to 55fps(very rare).I am running cat 10.4.

3. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    that's the spirit...i was not the only one getting 55+++++ fps for ease fun...!!!

the game is built OK, i get average 60 fps, so does he, that means ubisoft has done well with assasins creed 2... chill out people, don't blame this company is so respected, the game is not ****y built like metro2033 for example... :p haha

i am gonna test splinter cell conviction late tonight...i will keep you informed and deconstruct the mythic story about splinter cell's performance also........

4. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Maybe time to do a fresh install of windows? I've not had any problems with games in a long while.

5. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    blah blah blah..!! splinter cell conviction is also a lightweighted game...so easy playing...very high setting, 16x aniotropy, 8x antialias, HDR on...:):cool:

I CANNOT FALL UNDER 60 FPS DURING GAMEPLAY...i had minimum 45 fps in VIDEO scenes...so it does not count...i am very happy...!!!:pc1::pc1::pc1:

what do i use..??

the best drivers ( 8.740 leaked "400mb" ) and ati profiles 7 april...voila.!:banana:

6. mbd2884

mbd2884 Banned

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870
    I find it hilarious you think it's acceptable and AC2, Splinter Cell are light weighted games when you need dual X-Fire HD5850 and an overclocked I7 860 to get decent frame rate from a DX9 game.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it to start off my day.

For reference, any other DX9 game I get around 100-120 FPS. AC2 I get 35-40 and not only that, it doesn't even look good...

7. leonmbj

leonmbj Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire 5850 1GB(OC)
    It's because ubisoft games are made for Xbox360 and the PC versions are just crappy ports

AC1 had the same problems

I have the same performance whith a x4 + 5850 than a dual core + 8800gt

cause: crappy ported game!

8. timiman

timiman Member

GPU:
    2xR9-290 Asus DCU-II
    On my Phenom II X4 955@3.52GHz with the 10.4a on Win7 64bit, the game is totally unplayable. Even on 1024x768 with everything to None, Low etc!!! 30 fps in the cut-scenes and max 10 fps in-game.
    Monitoring with Rivatuner 2.24, GPU1 usage has peak at 7% (!!!) and GPU2 is always at 0%!!!

The same game on a Quad core 9600 with gtx220 is playable at 1280x1024 with medium settings !!!

Waiting for patch 1.01 for better gameplay days...

PS. Stupid XBOX360 port!!!

9. stefik

stefik Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950@6970 2GB
    SC:C is another crap game from Ubi, who cares more about fcking DRM than optimalization. In every sec in game CPU load 100% and GPU only 25-40% so it sucks just like in AC2 or GTA IV.

10. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Get a better processor than your crap e7200 and you won't have that problem.

Basically, you're using "crappy console port" in exchange for "my processor is ****tier than the one in the Xbox 360"

That's why you can't run it right. You want them to turn down the CPU load for you so your processor can keep up?

11. stefik

stefik Member Guru

GPU:
    Funny guy huh ?
    So why every other game runs very well except these 3 crap ports ? Becouse for Ubi and R$ top priority is security and stupid protection not optimalization. They have to much money and nothing to lose so they pee on gamers.

They just push some morons who will exchange parts for their games. Screw this.
    I'll buing new parts when I rly need it.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  12. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    nevermind

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Agreed, I thought I was the only one that noticed those guys had CrossFire 5850 bragging they were getting 60FPS. I honestly think they are trying their hand at parody.

Can you provide pics of this. That would explain a lot. Please post back, thanks!

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    In defense of the e7200. I have it right now on 3.04GHz.
    Every game i play works perfectly fine included GTA IV (not maxed out, but hell, is playable). I have to include that AC2 works perfect.
    I till don't own SCC. But AC2 works perfectly fine. Average FPS is around 30-50
    Everything max out.
    And still, the game feels REALLY smooth.
    But still, the game looks horrible and still is a bad port from a X****ie 360

15. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Well it's about that time.

GTA IV Simulates a freaking city, all those people, all those cars, game physics acting on all of them. It needs CPU power. UE3 has been known to suck down CPU power, for what? I don't know, I don't know enough about engines to tell you, but its not wasting it, it's doing something with it to enhance the game.

The point is, 6 core CPUs are available right now. You're on two. The 360 has 3. And while your CPU is faster then the 360s, the 360 has the opportunity to run more threads and that's where you're running into trouble.

Your processor is just too freaking old for new games. Get a tri or quad core.

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    That is just stupid. Sorry, but i need to say it.
    As i stated in my previous post. The processor is by now enough to provide good gameplay on most of the new games, included crappy ports like AC2, GTAIV, etc.

Now, talking about GTA IV. Ok, the Xbox360 have 3 threads where the game (engine) can do its things.
    But the purpose of porting is adequate the engine and game files to the platform you are porting it to and they did jack **** with that. There is no excuse on that. And they not even attempt to archive a good port. Is like we are running a Xbox360 emulator. Hell!

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Nice find, was thinking about picking this game up but after hearing all the rumours about bad performance I stayed away. But this news is great. Still using 10.4 WHQL official... are these newer than 10.4 preview if so does this mean that they contain the same bug fixes and more?

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Nope actually the 360 can run 6 threads, two threads per core.

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Xbox 360 runs 6 threads.

If I'm running Splinter Cell on a quad core and CPU usage spikes up to 83% his processor is a full core behind.

If his processor is running at 100% CPU usage and can't even keep the GPU fed because of it his processor is inadequate. It'd be stupid to say otherwise.

And what would you have them do? Tone down the CPU usage? You want them to gimp the PC version so he can play it? Then you'd be complaining about that.

20. stefik

stefik Member Guru

GPU:
    Okay, CPU can be used 100% all the time, but optimalization still sux becouse GPU usage never goes more than 50%. Don't tell me my CPU bottleneck GPU, becouse the same situation is on 8800GTS 512. That's all from me.