AC origins microstutter was never fixed?

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Synoxia, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Synoxia

Synoxia Member Guru

GPU:
    Rog Vega 64
    title. I throwed everything i could to achieve perfect frametimes and hz, cpu and gpu are not bottlenecked whatsoever yet it still microstutters, full screen optimization even prevents me from starting the game
    cpu is 2700x 4.35ghz gpu is vega 64 1670/1025 hbm

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I suspect AMD's lack of a DX11MT capability plays a huge part

Carfax likes this.
  3. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    I tried starting this one for the first time a few weeks back, and it ran like butt, even though my hardware wasn't being maxed out. I found this guide, but haven't had time to work through it yet:

ULTIMATE GUIDE FOR STABLE FPS FOR AC ORIGINS

Everything I heard from friends is that newer AC games require a bit of tinkering to run well. They've got some graphics options that tank performance, even with great modern hardware. So it looks like diving into the details and flipping switches is needed for more consistent performance.

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Thanks god for DXVK...
    First result is without DXVK so DX11
    [​IMG]

And now via DXVK (so Vulkan)

[​IMG]

If I set Chill to 60-60, game stays 60fps most of the time, finally!

nikobellic, Carfax and warlord like this.
  6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Thanks for this. I didn't even hear of it before. It works wonders where applicable of course. Great.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    NP.
    Please note that DXVK didn't play well with MSI Afterburner (in case you want to use it), it works the first time, but after the cache file is created, it can make PC completely freeze with a black screen.

warlord likes this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
  9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    No it isn't. Worst case scenario game won't launch. Copy paste files in game direction. If it asks to replace any files keep a backup.

I successfully played many games, it is most noticeable single core limited games like skyrim it is like a whole other smoothness in my eye.

emperorsfist likes this.
  10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree. AC Origins played very smoothly for me using DX11 on my Titan Xp, with no stuttering at all. But I've seen a lot of people complain about this particular game, and others like it, ie AC Odyssey if they are running AMD hardware.

NVidia's DX11 driver is far superior to AMD's, and is able to extract much more performance out of the CPU. Ubisoft really needs to implement DX12/Vulkan in their AnvilNext engine though. Games like this really benefit from low CPU overhead and increased parallelism for rendering.

11. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Thanks, I'll try later!

warlord likes this.
  12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Just remember which files did you copy paste in case you encounter non launching apps. It is either working correctly or not working at all for my games tested.

13. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Origins has reportedly gotten better when the pirated version succeeded in removing Denuvo altogether.
    https://www.dsogaming.com/articles/...significantly-less-stuttering-faster-loading/

It's still not stutter free, but better. They say the stutter disappeared completely with HT on their six and eight core CPUs.

14. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    That does not change anything for me, I tried that before using DXVK.
    Only difference was that the game loaded faster.

15. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    That's a 3 FPS hit, well within the margin of error. I don't think Denuvo is a problem, unless you're running a really old CPU, ie Nehalem and older.

The DX11 driver overhead is a much bigger problem for CPUs, and that's where AMD falters.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    You can't go by the FPS charts alone, the text explicitly mentions the FPS numbers are basically the same in all their tests, but the stutters had been reduced. Or check the frametime chart that's below.

Their test machine used a RTX 2080 Ti and i9 9900k. And they explicitly mention the stutters disappeared completely only when enabling HT for six and eight cores.

Sure, AMD's driver overhead makes it worse, but the stutter issue is obviously still affecting users across both fields.

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Those frametime charts are damn near impossible to read properly. And the stuttering was not removed completely until they enabled HT, which further adds to my point that the CPU overhead is the main problem.

Personally, I never had those issues at all. Something must be wrong with his particular setup, because I ran the benchmark when the game came out and this is what I got. As you can see, I had none of those huge frametime spikes that he's getting:

[​IMG]

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    The only way for the game to run properly is to use a denuvoless.exe... So yeah, its up to you. You would not be pirating the game anyway, because you bought it, you just would be removing cancerous bloatware Ubisoft added.

BlindBison likes this.
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    performance definitely went up in two point hospital with denuovo removed.

BlindBison likes this.
  20. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Also, if I remember correctly, Denuvo caused performance issues in Syberia 3. When the video that compared fps in the cracked and non-cracked versions got out, the team behind the game removed Denuvo in the next patch, which made most performance issues go away. The game wasn't very good, though, so it didn't help it much.