AC Accelero Twin Turbo + Sapphire 4890 Tests and Info

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by NemesisT103, Jun 25, 2009.

1. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Hey everyone, well i made a new thread because i know there is lots of ppl out there with 4890 that are interested in buying an aftermarket cooler so here is what i did with mine.

Well today my Accelero arrived and i got my hands on it and i installed it and tested, here now some pictures and feedback for everyone.

These are my temps before the Accelero Using the Stock Fan

Notice that the fan at 40% its already noisy and at 50% you can really really hear it, its like a small jet engine :p.

If you think how i tested this temps, well i used RivaTuner and also Everest, for Idle temps it was with the PC on not doing nothing for 30 mins in windows and for full load was 10 minutes of running Furmark at fullscreen.

Stock Fan 40% Idle Temps 2700 RPM Aprox

GPU 34 - 36c
    VRM 34 - 36c
    Mem 40 - 42C

Stock Fan 50% Full Load Temps Furmark 3200 RPM

GPU 74 - 76c
    VRM 95 - 99c
    Mem 76 - 78c

It took me a bit of time to install the Accelero properly, as i said i kept the original red backplate to cover the memorys and the VRMs but i also added 5 of the ram sinks in a part where the red backplate does not cover, where originally the fan is places over.

Here some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well after installing it, of course it was time to test it and see the results. As i said before the stock cooler was cooling the VGA greatly for me, but the main issue was the unbearable noise.

AC Accelero Twin Turbo IDLE Temps ( Fan at 100% Spins at 1900 RPM ) and it makes less noise than the stock cooler at 30% it is absolotely quiet, really amazing ).

GPU 30 - 33c
    VRM 32- 36c
    Mem 42 - 46C

AC Accelero Twin Turbo FULL LOAD Temps

GPU 62 - 66
    VRM 80 - 84
    Mem 68 - 72

I know the temps are almost the same, they havent improved much, it is good enough for me, more importantly the noise is almost null, i can barely hear the accelero spinning and i keep it at 100% always. If you guys get any questions please let me know.

2. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Result, nice work! :)

Funny tho... I did exactly that today on two 4870's but used Zalman VF1000 coolers instead.

3. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I have a question for anyone else who did this or maybe knows, i didnt try myself using the RAM and VRM sinks instead of keeping the backplate would it be better or worse? or the same? thats the only thing i have doubts, this way its fine, anyhow is anyone knows let me know.

4. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    It's worse... I first did it last year by removing the backplate and sticking little Zalman ram sinks everywhere. The card locked into a black screen in windows, nevermind a game!

5. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Weird, i dont know what material the backplate is made of? even if i use the copper sinks? those are pretty cool and also the air from the 2 coolers should help a lot. its right above them

6. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    You may have more luck with that cooler... the Zalman only has one fan on it so that may be why?

7. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    All right ill give it a try and let you know.

8. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Put some sinks on that line of chips behind the ones you've done now... the ones that touch that thin line of goo they put on the backplate!

Good luck with it and fingers crossed :)

9. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well i putted 8 RAM Sinks and 3 for the VRM ( the line of chips you told me ) and its working fine, a few degrees less than the backplate and it looks a lot better now. I used the provided AC Sinks, i will try to get my hands on some copper ones and maybe change them. What kind of glue do the sinks have ? It sticks pretty good, im just curious in case i get some of the copper ones they dont bring any glue, or ill just use the holes of the backplate with pushpins i will see as soon as i get them

10. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Oh nice work and good result! You can get "Thermal Glue" to attach heatsinks if yours don't come with any sticky pads.

11. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Nice to hear indeed. I ordered one of those a while back for a friend of mine, but haven't mounted it on his 4870 because he's abroad right now. Now I know he won't have to worry about the GPU deafening him! He'll probably be able to overclock his card, even.

12. wiLLie

wiLLie New Member

GPU:
    ATI / Radeon 4870 / 512MB
    I would like to give my thoughts on this Twin Turbo cooler.
    I have the XFX 4890 1GB Black Edition and I tried to use the Accelero Twin Turbo with the red stock plate but it seems to me that it is not enough for my card. Of course my card is heavily factory overclocked but I tried lowering the clocks and the heat problems still occured.

Results for me was (both GPU-Z and Rivatuner gave the same results):

stock cooler:
    fan speed: IDLE[ca 27-31%], LOAD[max 58% i 3dMark06, max 58% i UT3]
    core temp: IDLE[avg 52.7¤C], LOAD[max 70¤C i 3dMark06, max 70¤C i UT3]
    display IO: IDLE[avg 53.0¤C], LOAD[max 71¤C i 3dMark06, max 70¤C i UT3]
    memory IO: IDLE[avg 64.9¤C], LOAD[max 86¤C i 3dMark06, max 87¤C i UT3]
    shader core: IDLE[avg 54.9¤C], LOAD[max 75¤C i 3dMark06, max 75¤C i UT3]
    VDDC Slave#1 Temp: IDLE[avg 54.0¤C], LOAD[max 72¤C i 3dMark06, max 75¤C i UT3]
    VDDC Slave#2 Temp: IDLE[avg 54.7¤C], LOAD[max 74¤C i 3dMark06, max 77¤C i UT3]
    VDDC Slave#3 Temp: IDLE[avg 56.1¤C], LOAD[max 75¤C i 3dMark06, max 78¤C i UT3]
    ??? Slave #1 Temp: IDLE[avg 63.1¤C], LOAD[max 74¤C i 3dMark06, max 76¤C i UT3]
    ??? Slave #2 Temp: IDLE[avg 62.0¤C], LOAD[max 72¤C i 3dMark06, max 73¤C i UT3]

my conclusion of the stock cooler: ok temps but VERY noisy!

Twin Turbo:
    fan speed: constant 100%
    core temp: IDLE[avg 42.5¤C], LOAD[max 85¤C i 3dMark06]
    display IO: IDLE[avg 42.8¤C], LOAD[max 86¤C i 3dMark06]
    memory IO: IDLE[avg 55.4¤C], LOAD[max103¤C i 3dMark06]
    shader core: IDLE[avg 45.6¤C], LOAD[max 91¤C i 3dMark06]
    VDDC Slave#1 Temp: IDLE[avg 54.3¤C], LOAD[max 91¤C i 3dMark06]
    VDDC Slave#2 Temp: IDLE[avg 54.3¤C], LOAD[max 92¤C i 3dMark06]
    VDDC Slave#3 Temp: IDLE[avg 55.3¤C], LOAD[max 91¤C i 3dMark06]
    ??? Slave #1 Temp: IDLE[avg 62.2¤C], LOAD[max 88¤C i 3dMark06]
    ??? Slave #2 Temp: IDLE[avg 61.3¤C], LOAD[max 84¤C i 3dMark06]

I didn't even bother to write down the temps when playing UT3 but several of the temps got over 100 degrees celsius after maybe 20 min of gaming and the card crashed if you played longer than that.

conclusion of the Twin Turbo: quiet fans and good for cooling in idle mode but not nearly enough for when it is really supposed to do it's work. Also the cpu temps go up since the Twin Turbo keeps the hot air inside the chassi instead of blowing it out like the stock cooler.

All of this was done inside an Antec p182.

I have changed back to the stock cooler and all the temperatures are back to normal but I am forced to play games with headphones now. Otherwise I would go deaf from the jet engine blowing in my chassi. I wish I would not have gotten the upgrade itch and stayed with my powerful, silent stock 4870. :cry:

13. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    Well i see it didnt work out for you mate, but in mine temps dont go as nearly as high as that, GPU doesnt even get close to 60c while gaming and VRMs and Mem stay around 50ish temps i keep the accelero always running at 100% and its super quiet, only way any temp go over 70 is with furmark otherwise it stays between 50 and 60c at full load in any game, Crysis, CoD, Wolverine, MoH.
    About the hot air inside its true, but i have 2 12x12cm fans blowing air in the sidepanel and another 2 12x12cm exhausting air out so its not an issue for me, the case stays cool and so is the mobo and processor.

Idle temps With accelero at 100%
    GPU 30 - 32c
    VRM 38 - 40c
    Mem 40 - 42c

Full Load Gaming With accelero at 100%
    I tested this temps today, keeping the backplate on, while normal gaming, i tried Crysis Warhead, Medal Of Honor Airborne, Killing Floor LAN, Chronicles of Riddick, Dark Sector, Wolverine, Silent Hill Homecoming.

GPU 48 - 54c
    VRM 52 -58c
    Mem 56 - 60c

Furmark is the only application that i noticed stresses out the VRMs and Mem higher than the stock cooler, especially if you keep it during long periods of time, but as far as normal gaming goes the cooler perfoms fine and silent.

14. wiLLie

wiLLie New Member

GPU:
    ATI / Radeon 4870 / 512MB
    I am glad it worked for you at least. Maybe I did something wrong during installation of the cooler or ventilation in my chassis isn't enough maybe. I don't feel like playing with the card anymore though so the stock cooler will stay on for now..

Yes Furmark really scared me when it totally crashed my computer, temps go off the roof with that program.

To bad ATI releases so loud coolers, even at 33% fan speed I start to get annoyed by the sound my card makes.. Maybe I am to sensitive haha :)

15. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    No you're not too sensitive... they are bloody loud! That's why I got the x2 tri-fan and modded my 4870's. Too bad yours didn't work out... :(

16. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    I have to agree with you mate, the cooling solution provided by Ati is very efficient but the noise is just too much for me, when i had the stock cooler i got used to the noise at 40% and most ppl i know thinks its loud, and for proper cooling in fullload i would need to go at 50% and then you got yourself a mini jet engine xD haha. Anyways im still trying to replace the redbackplate for good ram and vrm sinks but i need to take measures and buy the right ones, and ill try to do that asap so once and for all finish this new cooler deal and just dont worry about the card anymore.

17. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Here's one of my 4870's with a Zalman vf1000 on it...
    with the original red backplate left to cool the memory and vrms. With a few small zalman sinks stuck on the chips in the gap.

[​IMG]

The GPU-Z screenie...

[​IMG]

18. NemesisT103

NemesisT103 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Ati HD 5850
    the zalman looks great mate, your temps are good aswell today i went to the city and in an electronics store i bough 3 copper heat disipators im gonna post some pics and see if i can manage to make them fit properly, they should be better than the backplate and it only costed me 6$ dollars.

19. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Cheers for that! :)

Nice one with the copper sinks... I hope it does the trick! :D

20. jorismak

jorismak Member

GPU:
    XFX HD4890 Black Edition
    Could you guys help me a bit?

My Arctic Twin Turbo arrived today, so I happily started on getting it to work on my HD4890.

Same deal as the other guides: Remove everything of the cooler, put the red backplate back on it. Put the little RAM heatsinks that came with the Arctic on the chips in the whole (3 in the length, 2 rotated 90 degrees... the hole is completely covered. *nice* :)).

Mounted the whole lot and put it back in, but now I don't get any picture (my monitor goes out of standby, but then doesn't recognize a signal and goes off again). Also one of the four red leds on the card is lit.

I've tried with the Arctic connected to the card, to the molex adapter that came with it, and both (I didn't get a 7v/12v adapter like on some other pictures with the Arctic?!?!) but the same result.

Thing is, my system boots fine (no error beeps, and the LCD screen from my keyboard lits up the moment it reaches the Windows logon screen).

I removed the card and put the stock cooler back on it and tried it again, and it works fine! It even looks a bit cooler under load (thermal paste?).

I tried again but still no look with the Arctic. The card is still working fine with the stock cooler at this moment.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009