About to get a 2nd 6850 for Crossfire what do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by BenTTwiG, Feb 5, 2012.

1. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Besides hooking up the card and the xfire bridge. Software wise do I need to do anything?

I'm currently running the latest preview drivers.
    Do I need to uninstall/reinstall those?

Do i need to use CCC to enable Xfire ?

Do I need to do something specific for each game to turn on Xfire?

I'm also replacing my PSU with a Corsair HX650
    So I have to wait for both of those to come in then I'll be set but wanted to get an idea before hand..

2. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Just a working CCC and the knowledge of profiles I think. I know CAPs help with cfx.

3. Banky

Banky Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    When I got my 2nd 6850 I uninstalled the AMD drivers, used driver cleaner, shut down, inserted 2nd card, fired up the PC, installed drivers, reboot. That's all you need to do, but you can play around with profiles and such if you wish. I also use Sapphire's Trixx to overclock both cards. We have a similar system, you should enjoy the extra frames. I have had no issues with crossfire and everything runs great. I was a little worried about sticking with cards with only 1gb of memory, but so far that has not been an issue; even on BF3 @ 1920x1200 with everything on ultra.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  4. mangaroo

mangaroo Master Guru

GPU:
    780 GTX Ti SC
    ^ Until your card is no longer really concentrated on (aka once 8000 series rolls out) and you can't even enjoy bf3 smoothly (solid 60fps) on the lowest settings in any driver combination.

Well that was my experience once the new architechture rolled out and they changed the way the drivers worked with profiles which is more advantageous for newer cards. Hopefully it won't be the same case for those that already picked up a second card but I wouldn't risk it again at these prices. Single card jumps for me.

Going to have to pair the 4870x2 with a 3770 cpu once they are out too... will see how that goes.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012

5. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Just install the latest caps. Have fun!

6. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    You better uninstall the drivers before hooking up the 2nd card.
    The PSU you ordered is alright but, you wont get much overclocking headroom there; an HX750W would have been better.
    As for the software, all you need is latest drivers, the latest CAPS (CCAP is a great option), and praying for the games you play have good Crossfire support.

Have fun ;)

Johnny

7. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    I don't plan to OC the video cards. I haven't had to OC my single card so far. Even with BF3 at 1920x1200 I can play on Ultra with everything else turned off and still get good frame rates.

Edit: Thanks for all the input.
    I'll get all the drivers ready and once my new card is here I'll uninstall what I have and do a fresh driver install once I get the 2nd one in .

Edit2: Just checked so I could get an accurate #. On a full 64 player server on Caspian border I was getting 42-55 FPS

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  8. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    BenTTwiG, do they make the same model that you originally purchased? One item that I would add would be to try to get the exact model 6850. I have one Gigabyte 587SO and another Gigabyte 587OC. One has a clock of 950 and the other 875.

That may not make a difference but what does make a difference is that the fans respond differently. The 5870OC is always 5 to ten degrees hotter regardless of the slot (even though it has the lower clock speed) and the fan does not respond the same to CCC, Afterburner or EasyBoost or PCIe slot.

The experience with games is pretty good but that is always a little annoying.

I also found that with multiple ati or nvidia cards, I need to underclock them some to really get them in a grinding videogame. Otherwise they crash about once every day or two.

9. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I can't get anything better than 40+fps on any settings or drivers on BF3 on my single 6850. I have just come to accept its playable and let it slide for now. Ultra texture makes the game lockup a lot on any drivers. So Textures high, rest ultra, no MSAA, no Blur for personal reasons. Game runs 40+ fps at all times and if you set a cap at 60fps with realmware manager then it won't be able to bounce around and give smoother feeling.

I have heard people get worse performance in BF3 with cfx, so I am unsure what to do, as I also want a second 6850.

10. mentalpeace

mentalpeace Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 Oc edition
    mmm. I´m locked on 60fps ALWAYS everything on Ultra with the i7 2600k and a 6850 sapphire toxic crossfire (without vsync, Fps increase to 75 avg.)

BUT before i got the i7 2600k i had a Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.8 ghz and an average framerate of 45, 30 min, 52 max. with the same crossfire setup.

a big hug!

11. chronicbint

chronicbint Member

GPU:
    ATI 6850 CrossfireX
    I get 50-70 FPS with CrossfireX 6850's in BF3, on Ultra at 1900x1200

12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 1.5GB
    Dude just physically install it and the bridge then fire up. If it doesn't "just work" (should bring up a CCC dialog for you showing Crossfire enabled) then go through a driver clean and reinstall. But none of this "one card first, install drivers, then second card" crap should be necessary.

And you most certainly will not get worse performance than one 6850 in BF3 is all is working proper. I just wish my 6850s had more vram now...

Ultra? That means 4X MSAA. You have my scratching my head here cause I really can't handle above 2X MSAA and sure wish I could. Perhaps you are referring to single player as multi more demanding. Whats your CPU clock?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  13. chronicbint

chronicbint Member

GPU:
    ATI 6850 CrossfireX
    Yeah sorry, that was single player just trying the new RC drivers. To be honest I knock it down to "high" settings on multi player. :)

CPU is clocked at 4.3ghz iirc.

14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 1.5GB
    Great, thanks.

15. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Weee just ordered with Shoprunner should be here wednesday.

We are happy to inform you that your order (Sales Order Number: xxxxxx) has been successfully charged to your Mastercard and order verification is now complete.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341052
    To go with
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353

I'm going to sell my current VisionTek 6850 to my brother so he can get an upgrade from his 8800GTS 320mb card and then I'll buy a 2nd Gigabyte card just to match.

16. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Good thing you opted out of Corsair HX as they tend to be having issues lately.

I have one 6850 and always (since I bought it) wanted to go CrossFire with it, but I changed my mind and I'd rather sell my 6850 and with the money I'd spend on second 6850 buy a single, better GPU.

17. BenTTwiG

BenTTwiG Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Yeah I almost did that. I was going to get a 78xx card but if I had waited my wife would have spent the money...

THen i was going to get a 6950 2gb but after looking at benchmarks and getting input from other's the 2nd 6850 was the better route for me at least.

18. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I get a solid 60 fps on ultra no aa dont care for aa myself and at 1920x1080 i actually think games look more crisp without it.