About to buy a x1950 pro, just a Q

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by RagDoll_Effect, Dec 5, 2006.

1. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I'm about to buy a powercolor x1950 pro and I noticed this HIS x1950 pro which said the clock speeds were lower 575mhz core and 1380mhz memory. But I noticed on the powercolor ones, it always says 600 core and 1400 mem. Just want some clarification on this please:)

Thanx in advance:)

2. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Sounds ok, just don't get one with a rubbish cooler on it. Such as Sapphire' one with the stock cooling!
    That HIS one looks good though.
    Not sure about the clock speeds though although I suppose it wouldn't be hard to overclock them as they're only lower by a rather small amount.

TBH though, I'm not sure on this overclocking business!

3. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    thanx, yeah overclocking is quite alright if you know what you're doing. I've been ocing for a while now:) As long as you keep it in a safe range, no damage will be done but I can understand some people a bit hesitant to oc.

4. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    You might wanna get the HIs tech one cause they have cooled voltage regulators. I was looking at the powercolor one and it didnt look like they cooled it.

5. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    thanx Inf:) Just been reading averything I can get my hands on and most of the reviews are of the Powercolor card. There were some His reviews because there is a His one that is oced already but a bit more expensive. Also noticed that there are some different versions of the x1950 pro going around. But I've read enough positive reviews by users on Newegg and they say it's a sweet card, so I've gone with Powercolor.

Stay cool Inf and keep Gaming;)

6. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    The HIS cards are a bit more expensive because of the ice3q cooler,but that's a pretty good cooler.Dead silent and keeps temps below 80°C on my card.I noticed there sits a copper heatpipe sink between the card and the actual cooling device, making it take up 2 pci slots.
    But it looks pretty professional.
    Also this cooling device lets you overclock even better then with standard heatsinks,which are rather noisy in most cases if the rpm goes up.
    Goodluck.

7. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    I would wait for the Ultimate Sapphire X1950 Pro, becuase it comes with a VRM heatsink, as well as the Zalman VF900 preinstalled on in, and for $25 more. It also has a memory clock of 800 MHz (1600 MHz)
    The only reason that the Powercolor version's core has a faster core is becuase they OCed from the factory via the BIOS, which you can easily do with any other card, provided the core VRMs care cooled. Here is an article on the Powercolor:
    http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4190&s=1

8. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Worse comes to worse he could always just buy heat sinks for the voltage regulators if anything goes wrong. Good buy.

9. Chocolinx

Chocolinx Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi X1950 Pro 256MB
    Are you looking at the PowerColor one with the Arctic Cooling X2 on it? Or just the regular one that looks like the Stock Cooler. The one with the X2 would be a good buy.

10. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2006

11. binormalkilla

binormalkilla Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870X2 XSPC water block
    Woa baby I think I may have to RMA.............
    This is what Sapphire told me when I asked for the Ultimate heatsink, after describing my VRM overheating issue:

We do not send out replacement fans for users to replace themselves. So if
    you send the card back for replacement service it will have to be in its
    original form or else we will not be able to help you process your card.
    Then I responded saying that I only need the heatsink, as I will have the Zalman VF900 in the mail tommorow (der dee der), I said that in my first email. This was their response:

Sorry we do not have extra parts laying around, you will have to buy that
    aftermarket as well.

I then responded by asking if my warrenty would still be intact if I added the fan and heatsink to the VRMs.
    Also, I said that I would even pay for the heatsink, which I don't think that I should have to, but whatever.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006